You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » How to balance taxes and other ways of upping public order?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How to balance taxes and other ways of upping public order?
Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 13:03 EDT (US)         
Does anyone know if it's better to have a high tax rate and in necessary peasants as garrison to keep up the public order, or lo leave out the peasants and lowering taxes? Because I'm really hoping I'm not gonna have to figure this out on a case by case basis.

Also, a while back I went back to my original Julii campaign, that I had played with automanaged taxes. When I turned this off and started playing around with the tax levels myself, against the games or races to be held, which also influence public order and income, I found that the best result was achieved by lowering taxes rather than adding games or races.

This would mean that the maginal income of a higher tax rate is smaller than the marginal cost of more frequent games/races, while the effect on public order is the same.

If I'm still right about this - and I'm not quite sure, as I didn't try different size settlements or compare arena's and colliseums or anything - this would mean that it is actually better not to build an arena as long as you can still keep the public order over 70% on a low tax rate, without building it.

blugh, too much variables *panics*

By the way, is anyone else annoyed by the fact that yearly games and races have the same effect on income and public order that monthly games or races do. And the same on a monthly/daily level. I feel we're getting unnecessary options.
AuthorReplies:
Legioner
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 14:41 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Gosh, I know how I would deal with this but my english skill isn't enough to describe it

But compare financial benefit from lowering taxes and peasant garrison's upkeep and higher taxation.
Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 15:48 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Yeah, that makes sense. However, how much difference a garrisoned unit makes depends on the size (and maybe other properties) of the settlement, so then it might differ per settlement. I guess the difficulty or at least legwork, is to find out how much units of peasants equal a lower tax rate in terms of public order.
General_Zavier
Legionary
posted 19 June 2008 16:14 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
I dunno about the more peasants vs. more taxes, but when it comes to lowering taxes vs. less races/games, always have less races/games.

You always save more money that way than by lowering taxes.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
Tzar469
Legionary
posted 20 June 2008 02:17 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Zavier, wouldn't you want to INCREASE the frequency of games, not lower them? If you lower them, the public order will go down, which is what you're trying to avoid by lowering the taxes?

[This message has been edited by Tzar469 (edited 06-20-2008 @ 02:17 AM).]

Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 20 June 2008 11:23 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
I actually think that part was right, except he meant putting the taxes higher rather then lowering.
SubRosa
Legionary
posted 20 June 2008 19:25 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Something to keep in mind when keeping taxes low is that this also increases your population growth. This in turn increases squalor, which of course in turn reduces public order.
Oolon Colluphid
Legionary
posted 20 June 2008 20:50 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Thanks Rosa. Up till now it was all just too simple. ;p
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames