You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » New Article: The Art of the Assault
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Article: The Art of the Assault
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 11 May 2009 06:00 EDT (US)         
Hail warlords,

We have received confirmation this very morning that our scroll concerning the Art of the Assault has been seen and blessed by the heavens.

It currently resides in the Vault of the Battle Strategy.

Thou may peruse its runes by having thy hairless rodent chew upon these runes. This will bring thee in through the back door, and thus bypass the rather rude guards standing before the portal.

Thy praise and criticism is, as always, welcome to be affixed to this virtual parchment.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
AuthorReplies:
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 11 May 2009 13:13 EDT (US)     1 / 11       
I love moving an army forward into the assault - it's the only true vocation of the sociopath. There's no place for kindness here, no mercy as you might get in open battle by allowing fleeing enemies to run to safety. In the assault, you've come to kill, conquer and burn. Every man amongst the enemy has to die, and the skill is in doing it so thoroughly and clinically that very few of your own warriors join them.

And it's a very fine account of how to go about doing this! If you want to attack a city and pave its streets in blood, this is the way to do it. The only thing that I think is missing is a particular favourite of mine - not only having archers or slingers in close support, but having them on the battlements of the walls above. It doesn't work so well with large walls or above, but on normal stone walls archers will have an excellent field of fire from up there and they can do terrific damage by shooting down in the street below. I like to do as much fighting as possible with my infantry in range of this support. If you form a battle line and have the archers in advance of them, then you can shoot the enemy in the backs as they approach, with flames too. Sometimes this will make them rout before they've even made contact with the line.
Ancient Zoro
Legionary
posted 12 May 2009 02:51 EDT (US)     2 / 11       
I just buy a crap load of mercenries and see if I can kill all of them as well as taking out all of the enemy. It's a lot funner when you don't care about your own troops.
vampiric canniba
Legionary
posted 12 May 2009 03:31 EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Seconded.

you like something both hardcore and whack
2009 RLT & ETWH Craziest Forummer Award!
I had to remove the excessive numbers of smilies I used la VampiricCannibal so as not to inconvenience low bandwidth users too much... - Edorix
Andy1984
Legionary
posted 12 May 2009 07:03 EDT (US)     4 / 11       
@Shieldwall: sounds so familiar. Slingers and archers turn out to be utterly devastating. More than once I've massacred close to half their army by only having slingers and archers on the walls.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 12 May 2009 07:15 EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Using captured walls is an excellent tactic, but not one which gets you into the city.

Mounting your missile troops on the walls is part of the urban battle, which occurs once you get into the city. The Art of the Assault gives you tips and tactics to get you in, your skills do the rest to win the battle. This tactics falls squarely in the latter category.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 05-26-2009 @ 04:15 AM).]

ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 13 May 2009 05:53 EDT (US)     6 / 11       
Sorry about that, I didn't realise until after I posted that the article is just about getting into the walls, not the shenanigans you may involve yourself in afterwards. Will you be writing a part 2? The Art of the Massacre?
I just buy a crap load of mercenries and see if I can kill all of them as well as taking out all of the enemy. It's a lot funner when you don't care about your own troops.
I hereby surrender my title of Lord of the Sociopaths and hand it on to an obviously better person than me! Damn, you're evil!
Andalus
Legionary
posted 13 May 2009 07:18 EDT (US)     7 / 11       
Excellent article Terikel, as always.

I think it would be worth adding a brief section on Elephants. They are very useful in allowing Carthage or the Seleucids to attack wooden walls immediately in the early game, and in the case of Armoured or War Elephants these can be used against stone wall gates with good effect.

Also note that Parthia can train War Elephants, and since they have the speed of cavalry, they can be used in conjunction with an all cavalry army to assault immediately, without slowing you down.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 13 May 2009 08:07 EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Good idea.

Blurb inserted.

Thanks, Ankalus. I owe you a cookie.

And another for you, Shieldwall, for the idea to clarify the premises of the treatise. Clarified.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 05-13-2009 @ 08:35 AM).]

Ichon
Legionary
posted 14 May 2009 00:16 EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Seems to cover it well enough. The two most important points might be emphasized. Multiple breaches and luring the enemy units out of the square or packed street blocking the square saves many of your men. RTW is not quite rock paper scissors but some units are more effective than others against certain units but some types of spear units have few weakness attacked head on so luring them out is the best option.
Black Legionaire
Legionary
posted 25 May 2009 13:56 EDT (US)     10 / 11       
Parthia can train War Elephants? Is this retrofit or have i really played them so little?

"Arguing on the intermet is like competing in the special olympics; even if you win, you are still retarded."

"Life sucks. Really. We walk a little around, eat, sleep and die. BOORING. Now get over here and let me cut your throat!"

~ My saddest sentences ever. ~
Andalus
Legionary
posted 26 May 2009 05:45 EDT (US)     11 / 11       
Parthia can indeed train War Elephants in vanilla. They are recruited from the same level Stables as Cataphracts. The AI generally never trains them, though, since Parthia usually gets wiped out so soon.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames