You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » How to beat the Greeks?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How to beat the Greeks?
PurplePirate
Legionary
posted 21 May 2009 17:09 EDT (US)         
Ok so i am Carthage but i cant seem to beat this army of greeks. Their best units are 2 units of armoured hoplites and my best infantry is the 5 units of libyan spearmen so its not like im in the advanced ending part of the campaign. But I have tried charging elephants to break their spear line and also charging front on with infantry and flanking with cavalry but i seem to lose every time. When i fight the romans usually when i cavalry flank them it decimates their guys and they soon retreat but with the greeks i end up losing a ton of cavalry and not killing many even from attacking behind. I have also tried flanking with elephants and cavalry, which also does not work. Can anyone help me maybe on a different strategy?

[This message has been edited by PurplePirate (edited 05-21-2009 @ 05:10 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
WarlordofMen
Legionary
posted 21 May 2009 18:06 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Once you hit with ur cavalry aim for the next unit in line try and make the line fold. Also use ur infantry as flankers to.
Bones40
Legionary
posted 21 May 2009 19:44 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Mass roundshield (or longshield if you have them) cavalry charges to the back. All your cav units at one phalanx unit at a time. Don't spread them out. Get the slow phalanxes chasing your faster infantry or a single unit of roundshields. Get them to separate from eachother. When they are isolated charge your cav at their backs, then your infantry from the front and they will route immediately with very few casualties on your end.

Sieges are another story. Unless you have a lot of infantry to throw at them on top of the walls. Hoplites lose their phalanx ability on top of walls so that's when they are vulnerable.

[This message has been edited by Bones40 (edited 05-21-2009 @ 07:44 PM).]

Zsmart one
Legionary
posted 29 May 2009 21:42 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
if you don't have any calvary then strech your infantry as long as you can and hope your line is long enough to circle the hoplites flank most phalanxs will crack under pressure
also never charge madoinion phalanx pikemen with just elephants or they all die
Arkrai
Legionary
posted 30 May 2009 01:36 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Strange you can't beat them. As others have said, mass cavalry charge the rear. If you have elephants, use them as well. Also, if you can pick up a few mercenary cretan archers, have them run around to the unshielded side of the hoplites and fire flaming arrows at them.
rob_redcoat
Legionary
posted 30 May 2009 04:52 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
I wiped them out yesterday. Knock out the cavalry first. Then I used skirmishers to attract their attention and then flank with infantry.

If they turn to attack the infantry, throw missiles into their backs.

Flank, flank and flank.
MickyTP
Legionary
posted 30 May 2009 05:31 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
Try and get some high ground and then horses can jump over the pikes. Or yeah, mass cavalry charge in the rear.

||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
Emperor Augustus
Legionary
posted 30 May 2009 10:19 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Dear god I hope you didn't charge the elephants at the front of the hoplites. Cos thats..you know..suicide..

Have you tried taking out the general first? Or captain, whoever is commanding. I make it my mission in battles to do that, and usually it works.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames