You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Battle outcome classifications
Bottom
Topic Subject:Battle outcome classifications
Profile Picture
Legionary
posted 04 June 2009 02:13 EDT (US)         
What are the requirements for battle outcomes such as heroic victories, vlear victories/defeats,average etc.
And are they different for Rtw and Bi?

I've been wondering about this for a very long time I thought I would come on here and ask.
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 04 June 2009 03:23 EDT (US)     1 / 2       
I think it has to do with casualties and percentages of forces. There is no hard and fast rule that I am aware of.

If you wipe the floor with your foe, and lost most of your army doing it, you have an Average Victory, or Close Victory.

If you wipe him off and lose comparatively few men yourself, you have a Clear Victory.

If you utterly pwn your foe and lose hardly a man, it can be a Crushing Victory.

And if you do so when the 'Force comparison slider' is heavily biased toward the foe (odds of 1:2 or so, or worse) then you have the chance of gaining a Heroic Victory on top.

If you lose instead of win, the same logic applies to Defeats- Close, Average, Clear, Crushing, and whatever the Utter Defeat is. I have personally tasted a Clear Defeat when my three-unit army was engaged by a half-stack of Dacians. My three units went down to a man, but we took over half the Dacian force with us, setting them up to be slaughtered by the stack the three-unit army was trailing. But still, though we killed three for every man we lost, it was ranked a Clear Defeat.

Personally, I considered it a Pyrrhic victory for the other side.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Andalus
Legionary
posted 04 June 2009 10:08 EDT (US)     2 / 2       
It is more or less as Terikel describes.

A heroic victory is one where you won despite the battle odds being against you. If the odds were 1:1, but you were still rather outnumbered, then this is normally a heroic victory as well.

A clear victory is where the odds were in your favour and you won, with few casualties. This is relative, depending on what level of casualties you are used to. For myself, I would consider a couple of hundred men out of a thousand to be unusual and horrific casualties (unless it were a siege assault), but the game does not.

A close victory is where you finish the battle with very few of your men still on the field. It is also usually one where the odds were in your favour.

An average victory, as far as I am aware, is one where you lost many more than you killed (But still had a reasonably intact army). For instance, if you attacked a single unit of 120 peasants with a full stack, and lost 500 men, I think that would be an average victory.

These are unchanged for BI.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 06-04-2009 @ 10:10 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames