You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Crash to desktop after editing Descr_strat
Bottom
Topic Subject:Crash to desktop after editing Descr_strat
Oddnerd
Legionary
posted 07 June 2009 15:59 EDT (US)         
Hey guys, I'm not an experienced modder or anything but I know about editing basic game files and such, so I tried to give a crack at changing the factions list so that instead of having the SPQR and three Roman families there would just be a single Roman Senate faction, which I think is more realistic. I went into the file and removed the families and gave all their characters, settlements, and agents to the SPQR and transferred family histories (I did not change any family records). I have checked the syntax of other factions and I am 95% certain that my syntax is ok. I also edited descr_win_conditions so that my Roman Senate faction has victory conditions. I have not yet changed any of the loading screen descriptions or such, so it still says no description in the campaign section and uses the barbarian intro movie.

The problem I have is that every time I try to play as the SPQR the bar at the bottom loads to the end, and then my game crashes to the desktop. I was wondering if any of you guys might know what the cause of this is. I have tried playing as the ordinary SPQR and it works (as long as I do not go to the "Senate" tab in the faction section) but once I merge with the other Romans and remove them from the two descr_ files it crashes. I was thinking it could be possible that the game has other code files that are executed and with the Roman families gone an error occurs.

Any advice or ideas (or even a link to a Mod that is made to do what I haven't been able to do) would be appreciated.
AuthorReplies:
Palatine warrior
Legionary
posted 07 June 2009 17:22 EDT (US)     1 / 2       
There is already a Unified Rome mod, but if you wish to do It yourself, add the show_err command line to your RTW shortcut, then fire up the SPQR campaign. When it crashes, the game will conjure up an error message telling you what you did wrong.

I'm not playing all the wrong notes. I'm playing all the right notes. But not
nessescarily in the right order.- Eric Morcambe.
I have the body of a GOD!- Buddha...
www.Nottinghamrugby.co.uk
They have sown the wind, now they will reap the whirlwind.- Arthur "bomber" Harris.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 08 June 2009 01:42 EDT (US)     2 / 2       
Hail, Lord Oddnerd, and welcome to our Forums.

Methinks thou has forgotten something, something small and easily overlooked. There must remain small bits of the Julii or Scipii or Brutii in the system, and when thy Magic Metal Box initiates our Virtual World, these small bits interrupt the creation and does cast thou out upon thy duff.

After Desc_strat, there are also the scrolls for units (EDU) and structures (EDB) and others that must be adjusted as well, though for the life of me I cannot recall all that must be changed.

Noble Palatine Warrior has the solution- acquire that Unified Rome modpack.

Also, before editing any files, always make a BACK UP! In case all is lost, reinstall and start again. Or, if a single file must be renewed, check out our Tech Help or Game Editing Forums. Someone there can point thee in the right path.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames