You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » My Backup keeps loading outside of the battle map.
Bottom
Topic Subject:My Backup keeps loading outside of the battle map.
blakkmantis
Legionary
posted 18 June 2009 23:12 EDT (US)         
Ok just as the title says. I keep my armies usually marching together so when they end up fighting a baddie, my 2 armies can load into the battles together. But it seems far too many times, half or sometimes even the entire army that was supposed to be my backup loads outside of the red bounderies of the battle map, and just stands there not helping. Watching me struggle, lose, or get slaughtered. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong? Or is this some irritating bug, that I'll just have to deal with at times?
AuthorReplies:
JrvUnleashed
Legionary
posted 19 June 2009 00:38 EDT (US)     1 / 8       
Rome total war only allows you to command 20 units at a time. If you are in control of more than 20 at one time, the extras will remain outside the map until there is room for another unit, for instance if a unit is destroyed or it routs. One way to get past this is to simply put your extra men as an AI controlled army, then you can have everyone on the field because you're not actually controlling them.
So it's not a bug, it's the mechanics of the game. Notice there is only 20 slots at the bottom of your screen, so there is no way you can have more than that.

"Communism is like a Mistress you later learn is a Mister and no amount of showers will ever wash away the shame.
Capitalism on the other hand is like the bosom of a women fresh out of the kitchen with sweat on her brow and enough milk to feed a village of children for weeks. And I'll tell you something: I. Want. That. Bosom."

[This message has been edited by JrvUnleashed (edited 06-19-2009 @ 00:41 AM).]

blakkmantis
Legionary
posted 19 June 2009 03:53 EDT (US)     2 / 8       
AHHH that explains alot!

Still seems like sometimes they don't come to my aid when I'm getting my butt handed to me, but maybe thats just my imagination.

Thanks for your reply.
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 19 June 2009 06:47 EDT (US)     3 / 8       
BUT if you're doing a siege assault, don't let the AI control your reinforcements. They will just stand outside doing nothing, even when you have only one unit left.

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

*tegos, -esos, noun, neuter. house.
SaikotikGunman
Legionary
posted 19 June 2009 15:23 EDT (US)     4 / 8       
AI has a knack for getting my generals killed when I let them lead...
Drakedeath
Legionary
posted 20 June 2009 00:23 EDT (US)     5 / 8       
AI has a knack for getting my generals killed when I let them lead...
It really does. I've made a note never to let it control any generals, especially after it got three killed outside of Artaxarta.
blakkmantis
Legionary
posted 20 June 2009 02:58 EDT (US)     6 / 8       
Yeah I gave up on the AI almost completely. Found out the hard way during one seige. I had them just a little outnumbered with my 2 armies. I let the AI command the one w/o a general. It stood there as I broke down the walls, and didn't do a thing. I made it into the city, nearly got slaughtered. But I barely managed to take the city, with just a few, and I do mean few heavy calvary left. It was basically my General and like 5 of his gaurds left, and that was about it. It really would be one for the Most Embarrassing Loss thread, and the battle would have been so much easier if almost a full army wasn't just standing there watching me, refusing to help, but I ended up winning, just with massive losses, lol.

[This message has been edited by blakkmantis (edited 06-20-2009 @ 02:59 AM).]

Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 20 June 2009 07:15 EDT (US)     7 / 8       
Don't forget you can withdraw units from the battlefield by pressing W and you can use this to make room for reinforcements to enter the field. Very useful for depleted units or missile units that have run out of ammo.

Hussarknight
mikecz
Legionary
posted 20 June 2009 14:02 EDT (US)     8 / 8       
When I have AI controlled reinforcements coming in, I'll often send at least one horse unit over by them to "help out" & just to keep a better eye on them.

Sometimes your AI reinforcements can do at least an OK-ish job. If you control a cavalry unit (sometimes even a family member, especially if I have more than one family member in the main army) that can do the usual charge into the rear of enemies your AI units are engaged with, you should often get the usual route of the enemies. I've occasionally even used my controlling family member general with his morale boost to help out my reinforcements.

As others say, I usually try to NOT have the AI control any of my family members or even what I consider to be especially valuable units for wherever I happen to be on the map. Especially w.r.t. family members, it seems they either do remarkably well under AI control or, oops! another heroic death.

When I have 20-some units marching along, I've often attacked with pretty much all or almost all of my horse units in the army I'll be able to control, AI controlling everyone else. When battle starts, the horse guys, including my general(s) run (or walk at triple speed) over by my reinforcements. I get the "general is nearby" morale bonus for everyone and again can use my fast moving horse units on the enemy flanks & rear to break & kill them.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames