Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Roman Auxilia
Bottom
Topic Subject:Roman Auxilia
SaikotikGunman
Legionary
posted 19 June 2009 17:50 EDT (US)         
Is there a particular reason why, after a while, the Julii water their armies down with them to the point that their Cohorts would be better off alone?

I'm starting to almost feel sad, watching them line up into long, thin rows, only to throw themselves against my wall of shields and spearpoints.

I plundered Rome generations ago, eliminating the Senate. I've taken all the Brutii cities, and the last four Scipii family members died at the hands of one of the great young generals of this generation, who purged the last of the wretched Roman refuse from the African wilderness. During the latter pursuits, my foe continued to muster field-grade line troops up to the last stand.

Now, I've faced full stack armies, with as many as 16 of the units being composed of Auxilia, who continuously proceed to rush headlong into my lines, route after a quarter of their number are felled, and fall into little clusters, whereupon the deeper ranks of Hoplites and Pikemen on my left flank shift to eliminate the group left on that side, while my thinner right flank wheels about to ram into and partially surround the other remnants. It's almost demoralizing to watch anymore. And all the routing Auxilia get the Cohorts shaking in their boots.
AuthorReplies:
Brutiangodofrock
Legionary
posted 19 June 2009 18:07 EDT (US)     1 / 18       
They are cheap and recruitable in Large Towns i beleive so by the point the Marian Reforms happen, most regions will be at least large towns.
SaikotikGunman
Legionary
posted 19 June 2009 18:16 EDT (US)     2 / 18       
Still, the Julii seem to have totally abandoned producing high end combat troops, in favor of these. I've taken Sicily and the tip of Italy, but none of the core Julii cities. Rome is currently held by the Gladiator Uprising. And the Julii are still economic leaders in the world, so they should have the finances for good equipment.
Brutiangodofrock
Legionary
posted 19 June 2009 18:43 EDT (US)     3 / 18       
What difficulty are you playing on?
JrvUnleashed
Legionary
posted 19 June 2009 20:55 EDT (US)     4 / 18       
Wow, I've never gotten to the Gladiator Uprising. I always beat the game before it. And yes, Romans are friggn horrible when they're AI. In the hands of a human however, they're the best faction (This is "Rome" total war lol)

"Communism is like a Mistress you later learn is a Mister and no amount of showers will ever wash away the shame.
Capitalism on the other hand is like the bosom of a women fresh out of the kitchen with sweat on her brow and enough milk to feed a village of children for weeks. And I'll tell you something: I. Want. That. Bosom."
Drakedeath
Legionary
posted 20 June 2009 00:20 EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Yeah, Roman Auxilia are crap. The spearmen are pretty much a step down from the Triarii, and the rest of them are just...meh. I'm looking forward to an Armenia vs Rome war, though. Gotta get by Egypt first, though.
Cerdic the Saxon
Legionary
posted 20 June 2009 08:49 EDT (US)     6 / 18       
I am sorry but....

What is the "gladiator uprising"?

I have never come so far either.

/Cerdic

And about the location. I actually don't know my location but, I'm an "infantryman" so I guess I'm in the ranks right now.
SaikotikGunman
Legionary
posted 20 June 2009 12:44 EDT (US)     7 / 18       
After I killed the last family members of the Scipii(without taking all of their cities), the cities they had held all got taken over by a specific type of rebel faction: Gladiator Uprising.

All of the forces defending each rebel city are various types of gladiators.

It's a Medium campaign, with hard battles. It was the first non-Roman campaign I started, and I'm delaying winning until I've conquered the entire world. I've got Scythia, Britannia, Iberia, and the Julii left to vanquish.
Imperator Romano
Legionary
posted 20 June 2009 12:53 EDT (US)     8 / 18       
I am sorry but....

What is the "gladiator uprising"?
An event that happens at certain point in the game, like the Macedonian plague. It's a rebel army composed of gladiator units. Reminds you of Spartacus.

[This message has been edited by Imperator Romano (edited 06-20-2009 @ 12:54 PM).]

Temur
HG Alumnus
(id: Gaiseric)
posted 20 June 2009 12:57 EDT (US)     9 / 18       
A gladiator uprising also occurs if a city that possesses a Colosseum revolts.

"War does not decide who is right... only who is left." -Bertrand Russell
Arkrai
Legionary
posted 20 June 2009 19:37 EDT (US)     10 / 18       
In the hands of a human however, they're the best faction (This is "Rome" total war lol)
In the hands of a human, ANY faction is the best faction.
Majo
Legionary
posted 20 June 2009 20:15 EDT (US)     11 / 18       
Amen For That

Muammar Al Gaddafi
" I cannot recognise either the Palestinian state or the Israeli state. The Palestinians are idiots and the Israelis are idiots. "
JrvUnleashed
Legionary
posted 20 June 2009 20:48 EDT (US)     12 / 18       
In the hands of a human however, they're the best faction (This is "Rome" total war lol)
In the hands of a human, ANY faction is the best faction.
Two humans have the same exact skill. One has Rome, the other has another faction. The Rome player will win.

"Communism is like a Mistress you later learn is a Mister and no amount of showers will ever wash away the shame.
Capitalism on the other hand is like the bosom of a women fresh out of the kitchen with sweat on her brow and enough milk to feed a village of children for weeks. And I'll tell you something: I. Want. That. Bosom."
Arkrai
Legionary
posted 21 June 2009 00:36 EDT (US)     13 / 18       
Two humans have the same exact skill. One has Rome, the other has another faction. The Rome player will win.
I haven't played multiplayer, but I can think of a few factions that could beat Rome. A berserker-heavy Germany could win. If chariots were allowed, I would think Egypt would have a chance to beat the Romans. Similarly, a Seleucid army with top-tier infantry and a combination of scythed chariots, Cataphracts and armoured elephants could win.

Finally, a Parthian army of Persian Cavalry, Cataphracts and one or two elephant units would be really tough challenge for the Roman player.
Andalus
Legionary
posted 21 June 2009 04:38 EDT (US)     14 / 18       
Not so easy online. Ever tried to command a full army of horse archers without a single pause, against an opponent who can see what you're trying to do?
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 21 June 2009 05:33 EDT (US)     15 / 18       
The Roman factions are overpowered, but you can still beat them with other factions. Egypt is powerful too, but other factions, too, can beat Romans if utilized correctly. I've beaten Romans players with the Britons and Dacians for example.

Hussarknight
Arkrai
Legionary
posted 21 June 2009 08:02 EDT (US)     16 / 18       
Ever tried to command a full army of horse archers without a single pause, against an opponent who can see what you're trying to do?
No, which was why I said I haven't played multiplayer. I was suggesting possibilities that could beat the Romans.
JrvUnleashed
Legionary
posted 21 June 2009 10:51 EDT (US)     17 / 18       
The Roman factions are overpowered, but you can still beat them with other factions. Egypt is powerful too, but other factions, too, can beat Romans if utilized correctly. I've beaten Romans players with the Britons and Dacians for example.
Key words: "same exact skill" Therefore the Roman player, having the advantage in infantry, cavalry, and archers, will not allow the other faction to be utilized. Rome is the best faction, and it can only be beaten by a really good phalanx-army player, upgraded cataphract spam, or chariots.

Also, all HA armies don't work online, (unless it's high money and they're all cataphract archers, but High money is stupid) They're so weak all the Roman player has to do is go into testudo, and they've already one the game. HA's are too weak to beat legionaries even if they're in testudo.

[This message has been edited by JrvUnleashed (edited 06-21-2009 @ 05:02 PM).]

Andalus
Legionary
posted 21 June 2009 16:49 EDT (US)     18 / 18       
Did.. did you just reply to your own point?
No, which was why I said I haven't played multiplayer.
Indeed, but you were responding to a post regarding two humans playing each other, i.e. multiplayer, so that was why I made my comment. Naturally, against the AI, Parthian/Armenian/Scythian cavalry armies will come out on top, even though the high armour and shield defence of most Roman units means they hold out a little better than most other nations' armies.

And indeed, the Roman army is really not invincible. In fact, their infantry is not as strong as supposed. In a man to man fight, yes, they are superior, but by use of clever tactics they can be beaten; for example, by good use of local superiority, or a well executed flanking attack.

Furthermore, in RTW, a Roman army is nothing without cavalry, unlike their historical counterparts, and this brings me to the unit specified in the title. Once the Marian Reforms have come, Auxilia are the only spearmen (or 'unit armed with spears' if you want to be fussy) available to the Romans, and they are no great shakes. Cohorts are very susceptible to a cavalry charge, particularly from the rear (of course), and if the Romans have no horsemen of their own, they can be torn apart almost methodically with your heavy cavalry.

So really it is the overpowered cavalry that you have to watch out for. The Romans have no duff cavalry units, unlike other factions. Roman Cavalry are miles better (in melee) than any other base level cavalry unit in the game, though that is not to say they cannot be beaten by them.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames