You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Ave Centurions! Wanted to say thanks to the creators of RTW and especially RTR
Bottom
Topic Subject:Ave Centurions! Wanted to say thanks to the creators of RTW and especially RTR
rb207
Legionary
posted 28 May 2012 15:33 EDT (US)         
Greetings fellow warriors.

I love Rome Total Realism. It must be one of the best games I have played and I have played lots of good games across many genres. I first played Rome total war when it was first released and I keep coming back to it.

I have played full campaigns as the Romans, Greeks and Parthians. In Rome Total Realism I have dominated the campaign as the Armenians. I have also played MTW and MTW2, but come back to Rome because it runs smoothest with large battles on my current system and because of RTR.

RTR adds a layer of gritty realism that makes the game much more enjoyable. The balance of forces between Infantry, Cavalry and missiles makes for a much more satisfying battle.

I have never fought on-line but I have lost and won a few LAN battles which were great fun. I just lost a battle against 2 Roman players as the Numidians. I used a massive army of weak spears and Camels and missile Cavalry. There is nothing more satisfying than outmanoeuvring your opponent although I have had trouble smashing Roman infantry quick enough to free up my troops to move on.

Well I just wanted to express my appreciation and also to mention that I am interested in doing some on-line battles. I have no idea who would still be playing this game.

All the best and thanks to those who have written great strategy guides that i have read. Also youtube videos are great thanks POM and HOC.

rb207
AuthorReplies:
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 28 May 2012 15:56 EDT (US)     1 / 10       
As a fellow fan of RTR, have you tried out the new Extended Realism mod? It's a project by the same team for even more realism. Right now they're on a 4.0 beta, and it's nothing like I've experienced before!! Gone are the hordes upon hordes of armies. Now a massive invasion force is one single stack! You can afford (I'm currently playing as Carthage, shocker ) maybe one full stack, plus garrisons with an empire spanning all of the Meghreb, Sicily, parts of Spain and the western islands.

And then there is the unique government buildings, which are culture specific (maybe even faction, but I'm not sure yet).

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
rb207
Legionary
posted 28 May 2012 16:39 EDT (US)     2 / 10       
I am interested in giving it a try. can you give me a download link?

Actually it looks like I need Barbarian Invasions first so I may consider ordering that.

[This message has been edited by rb207 (edited 05-28-2012 @ 04:41 PM).]

rb207
Legionary
posted 09 June 2012 09:28 EDT (US)     3 / 10       
If I get RTR VII will i be able to play online with anyone?

In a couple of weeks time.
Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 09 June 2012 10:18 EDT (US)     4 / 10       
I'm interested in the Realism mod. Care to give me a small introduction, as a player with experience in this mod?

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 09 June 2012 16:24 EDT (US)     5 / 10       
I believe RTR is entirely mod-foldered, so you can play with someone who uses the mod as well as vanilla.

Ok so RTR tries to make the game more realistic, as the name suggests :P

Basically if you conquer a town, you are going to have to wait a few years before you can start recruiting anything of worth, as you need to bring that city into your culture. So when you conquer a city, you're going to have to build a couple of different buildings, reflecting the emergence of your culture in that city. In the game I'm playing, Rome Total Realism: Extended Realism, there are different roads you can take with every town. Playing as Carthage for example, a new town must build a building named Military Occupation, showing that you in fact are occupiyng the town at that time. Then you can build a Hegomonia (sp), Colony, or Epikraetia (sp). The first one will let you recruit units native to that place fairly quickly, but nothing more. Colony will take longer, costs more, but in the long run you can recruit your home units there as well. The last one will let you recruit low level native troops and that's it, but will also be the quickest for getting the settlement happy.

So to sum it up fairly quickly, you have to bring a newly conquered city into line with your culture before you can recruit troops. If an army comes in, kills half your population, you aren't going to want to get recruits from there. This mod simulated that.

This mod also uses a very, very large map :P
[PNG, (545.73 KB)]

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 09 June 2012 16:47 EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Thank you, Punic. I'm thinking about getting the mod tomorrow, seems quite interesting to me.

The map is identical and probably the same as to the Mundus Magnus map.

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 09 June 2012 20:19 EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Good, I suggest either RTR Platinum, or RTR Extended Realism for starters. Platinum is the basic mod that all other Realism mods are based off of, while Extended Realism is the accumulation of all other Realism mods.

rb207
Legionary
posted 12 June 2012 20:11 EDT (US)     8 / 10       
I have ordered Barbarian Invasion so I expect to be trying the latest Realism mod soon.

Would like to play some friendly battles online with this mod once I know the units. Would that be possible?
Punic Hebil
Centurion
posted 12 June 2012 22:19 EDT (US)     9 / 10       
Yep, though given that it's a mod, you'd have to arrange it before hand. The only active multiplayer that I know of would be vanilla.

rb207
Legionary
posted 16 June 2012 05:14 EDT (US)     10 / 10       
I now have BI and am downloading RTR 7. Slooooowly. I took the opportunity to try RTW online and got smashed Not played RTW in years.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames