Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Do or Die
Bottom
Topic Subject:Do or Die
srlj3721
Legionary
posted 17 June 2012 00:05 EDT (US)         
Do you have moments like this you enguge in a battle knowing that if you lose you empire will crumple or a key settlement will be lost

do you like this experience or do you dread it

how and why has it happened?
please tell

Rome 2 is coming
celebrate with this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZIPeGN7CPQ
AuthorReplies:
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 17 June 2012 04:40 EDT (US)     1 / 8       
I haven't had any battles where I felt the empire itself to be in danger, though at the start of the game I attack with almost every unit I have in a single army so I would be in trouble if I lost, but fortunately I never have as you rarely meet anything you can't handle that early in the game.

I had one recently with the Julii on Mundus Magnus where I was expanding well and in strength on all fronts, but I fell victim to what seemed to be a conspiracy of AI factions to attack me in strength, without warning at exactly the same time. Several times in a single turn I was under siege by several full stacks from Thrace in Illyria, an army of Germans in Italy, and numerous small-sized but far-flung armies of Gauls and Spanish in southern Gaul. I was constantly having to get my armies to the spot as fast as possible and had to fight immediately. Thrace worried me because Falxmen can be nasty, they had several full stacks lying in wait, and I had just one army and no buildings nearby that could repair Hastati or Equites. Somehow I just about fought them off and everything stabilised, but it was a close run thing.

Did I enjoy it? I enjoyed winning. But receiving news that I had been besieged yet again and found my army in that area was a little out of range to deal with it immediately more irritated me than anything. I wanted to expand and conquer!
srlj3721
Legionary
posted 17 June 2012 05:58 EDT (US)     2 / 8       
one of my personal do or die has to be ethier the julii start if you a=send everything against the gauls(which i do) and encouter full gaul warband stackes with hastai half stackes(fun fun fun)

anothor is more recently the shogun 2 oda start game but this is rome so i won't go into that

but i love the do or die feel and me as an extreme blitzer (i blitz and blitz and never stop if theres not a war on i feel empty) have my empire hanging on by threads i basiclly have one full army (maybe a half stack)on every fronnt or possible enemy border if the enemy get past that BAM its all over its a very unsafe way to play but very thrilling

Rome 2 is coming
celebrate with this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZIPeGN7CPQ
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 17 June 2012 14:15 EDT (US)     3 / 8       
Actually I did have a battle like that recently. I was playing Extended Realism 4.0 as Bactria. You start out with very little, and can only recruit decent units in one settlement. I decided I was going to expand into India before taking on the juggernaut that the Seleucids are. So I took a few settlements, actually starting having a surplus of cash at the end of each turn, so life was good. But I still only had enough cash for one army, which was campaigning in India.

Then the Seleucids decided it was time for me to come under their control again. They attacked Bactria (the settlement, my capital, and my only recruiting grounds where decent troops could be raised) with a full stack of Pezoi, three generals, archers and some Theurophori (sp). I myself had a large number of Theurophori and only two archers, and one new general at the helm.

Now the Seleucids were smart in that they made sapping points, as well as ladders, towers and one ram. I thought I was genuinely screwed. I couldn't do the cheap method of letting them be peppered by towers because they would all rush my defenses as soon as the walls were down, and I still had to play a a decent amount of units on the walls because wall fighting in RTR is amazingly taxing on soldiers, and unexpected wins happen.

I then did the only thing I could do to realistically win, at a reasonable cost to lives on my end. I put the archers on the wall, and managed to set light to one tower, and then had them pepper anyone else who came into range. I put one unit of Theurophori on the wall away from the action, so that when the Seleucids took the wall, I could quickly reclaim the towers and gate. The rest of my units were at the square, where I knew they would fight to the last (as game mechanics make it so). So I did my strategy, which worked like a charm, and as their being peppered in the streets by my towers, my men throw their javelins and await the attack.

Luckily their entire army was fighting the majority of my army in the center itself, and the Pezoi broke formation and fought with their swords, giving my guys an advantage. The slaughter of both sides then ensued, with my guys eventually outnumbering theirs, as their men ran away from either lack of stomach, depleted numbers, or the disheartening even of seeing their commander slain. I did almost lose though, as their Pezoi came back from routing but in formation this time, giving my men a very hard time. I was only saved because I had forgotten the unit of Theuropori on the walls, and then brought them into the fray, breaking their formation.

I did win in the end, but I had very little to defend myself with in my home area. I had my army being rushed back to retake Bactria if need be, but after the victory they went back to taking India. I would later lose Bactria to the Seleucids, but they had two stacks and I myself had only an archer, a general and a unit of Bactrian infantry. It was bad for my economy in the short term, as I would then gain a debt of roughly 6,000 per turn, for 7 turns as my army in India made a hasty peace and beat it Alexandria on the Oxus. I had my other nearby towns able to recruit troops of reasonable strength by then though, so I did not lose any more towns, but if the Seleucids had capitalized on their victory, it would have been much worse.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Alex_the_Bold
Legionary
posted 17 June 2012 14:59 EDT (US)     4 / 8       
I also had a battle like this in BI about a month ago. I was the ERE and tried to recreate the actual defensive strategy of the Dominate period (limitanei in border forts and decent troops in the interior, in large towns). Unfortunately, this proved a very risky strategy, as both the Hunnic and the Sarmatian hordes swept through my limited limitanei forces easily, as it was a battle between three-four stacks full of horse archers and half a stack of limitanei. Anyway, I faced both hordes in two different battles with my "elite" army made up of all my starting Comitatenses and eastern archers plus a Scholae Palatinae unit and defeated them in two massive battles, in which my archers and comitatenses performed exceptionally, with the average kills per unit being 180 in each battle, while my heavy cavalry (Scholae and a general's bodyguard) was devastated by the Hunnic horse archers... It was as if a rain of arrows was coming at my men. Well, despite my great victories, all my Balkan regions were captured in the next ten turns by the Goths and the Roxolani leaving me with my Minor Asian and North African settlements, as Palestine, Antioch and Cyprus had been taken by the Sassanids, because I had brought all my forces to the Balkans... Perhaps I should've expanded eastwards, right?

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
rb207
Legionary
posted 18 June 2012 16:20 EDT (US)     5 / 8       
Yes I have been in a do or die situation.

Early in RTR VI as the Armenians being attacked by the Selucids and Pontus I faced full stack armies with my own (nearly) full stack. I had a similar situation as Germania being attacked by the Powerful Gauls.

With war cutting off trading routes and having limited available funds, to have my army wiped out in these battles would have spelt disaster. My powerful enemies could continue recruiting and sending in armies but I could not hope to rebuild mine in time.

I could defeat the first army but the second or third that they would send would have destroyed me. I needed to be successful and also to minimise casualties. I needed to go on the offensive and force them to accept peace.

I did lose the game this way with the Turks in MTW1 a long time ago.

[This message has been edited by rb207 (edited 06-18-2012 @ 04:23 PM).]

Kilos of Thermon
Legionary
posted 25 June 2012 12:19 EDT (US)     6 / 8       
I save, then do the battle just in case I lose. I usually don't, so it usually proves unnecessary. If that is cheating, IDGAF.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Cattle die, kinsmen die, the self must also die. I know one thing that never dies: the fate of the honored dead. Hávamál, Gestaţáttr, #77.
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 25 June 2012 13:18 EDT (US)     7 / 8       
This is generally how I lose a battle: I Auto Resolve it. I do not reload it, unless it was complete BS that I should have won. I then continue the campaign, but fight the next battle to regain my superiority.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 27 June 2012 20:11 EDT (US)     8 / 8       
One of my earliest games as Carthage had many of those. I got stuck at a stalemate with the Romans, was tied down in underdeveloped Africa with the Numidians and thus had to conquer Spain with a bunch of Iberian Infantry and Theophanes. Took me 20 years, but I did it.

Again, I can't stress enough how new I was. :P

*Edit* Come to think of it, I've been reminiscing about the game since I played it. Years later, now. I don't think I've had the same adrenaline pumped experience since. First my blitz of Roman Italy and Pyrrhic victory outside of Arretium, and then the drawn out Iberian war...

PROCRASTINATE NOT ˇ JAMAIS ARRIERE

[This message has been edited by Drakontos (edited 06-27-2012 @ 08:14 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames