You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Senate Mission: Hyperborea
Bottom
Topic Subject:Senate Mission: Hyperborea
Great Cornholio
Legionary
posted 25 June 2012 20:05 EDT (US)         
I was given the unlikely senate mission of taking Hyperborea and given 10 turns to do it. Sucess means I get the senate to throw some games in my honor!

Don't know if it's possible or not, but will give it a try.

I sent 3 full units of legionry Calvery with a good general in front and followed with 3 units of principles and 3 units of roman archers lagging behind.

As soon as my Cav units reached Hyperborea they were ambushed by the Amazons. Somehow I stumbled on the winning formula for beating them. I hid the 3 legionry Cav units in the trees and ran with the general. The amazons chased the general and ran right into the hidden cav units. In hand to hand combat in the woods, Legionry Cav killed the Amazon Chariots with few losses. My general's bodyguard took a beating from the arrows, but in the end I won that battle.

The infantry is way behind and now almost 2 turns behind. Will try and lay seige to the city with my cav and hope the infantry arrives in time. We'll see if Cav can build a ram or not.

Uhhhh... look! I don't know what your problem is... but I simply cannot have students wandering the hallways during class, interrupting other classes and giving prophesies of a great plague. - Principle McVicker
Cornholio!

[This message has been edited by Great Cornholio (edited 06-26-2012 @ 11:19 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Hannibal the Conqueror
Legionary
(id: HannibalBarcaXXI)
posted 26 June 2012 05:22 EDT (US)     1 / 9       
Check if there's any Infantry mercs you could recruit with your General. If so, you can build rams and when the Roman Legions arrive, you would easily take Hyperborea.

BTW: I'm curious. What year is it in your game?

"I long for Darkness."
- Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited.

"We are a species that ravages, plunders, kills, destroys, rapes and enslaves in the name of progress."
Great Cornholio
Legionary
posted 26 June 2012 08:18 EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Got the mission in 212 bc, It is now 209 BC I have 4 turns left to take the city.

Uhhhh... look! I don't know what your problem is... but I simply cannot have students wandering the hallways during class, interrupting other classes and giving prophesies of a great plague. - Principle McVicker
Cornholio!
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 26 June 2012 09:35 EDT (US)     3 / 9       
I usually takes me ten turns just to get some forces there, and that when I have taken Home Sweet Home (Domus Dulcis Domus).

You must have really pissed off the Senate...

Anyway, I hope you manage to pull it off.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 26 June 2012 12:19 EDT (US)     4 / 9       
Not very fair is it. Even if you have sufficient troops in the neighbouring province, it still takes an age to get there. I suppose the next senate mission you'll get will be to enact a moon landing.
Great Cornholio
Legionary
posted 26 June 2012 19:46 EDT (US)     5 / 9       
I had just taken Vicus Venedae at the Senate's orders and had what remained of a whole stack after the battle. It was Dacia's last stand so I was able to scrap together that force and head out from there when the mission was ordered and still leave enough to keep it from rebelling.

Not the worst mission I've gotten. I think I had to blockade Numantia once and I didn't even have a port on the Atlantic yet.

This has been a strange campaign. I have 72 provinces and still have 6 shields of senate favor.
The only non-Senate aggression I have taken is to attack Dacia and then the Senate backed me on that. The Germans, Britons, Spaniards and Egyptians all were good enough to attack me first. I mopped up Greece and Macedonia while the Senate was at war with them as well. And the Senate ordered me to attack Gaul and Carthage. I also have a Senate endorsed alliance with Thrace that has been mutually beneficial. Would love to hit Pontus and Parthia but want to see how quickly things turn with the Senate first. Failing at this mission might speed that up.

My pre-Marian units keep pushing the frontier while I build stack after stack of Marian troops for the Civil War. I have 6 stacks in Italy now with one in Sicily and 2 in Greece. The Bruti only have Appolonia and have 3 stacks of hastati there. The Scipi have Messena and Syracuse but I have Lilybaeum and Urban Cohorts from Carthage steaming over.

I also have 3 fully stacked navies ready to go and building a 4th.

Cornholio!
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 26 June 2012 20:39 EDT (US)     6 / 9       
This has been a strange campaign. I have 72 provinces and still have 6 shields of senate favor.
That is insane. I have never gotten past 30 settlements without war/suicide order..

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 27 June 2012 06:48 EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Lol, I remember first time I played this game. I only had some brief experience with medieval 1 total war and was just fooling around a bit at low difficulty. I had conquered all of Africa and parts of greece and spain with the Scipii and then the senate started ordering suicides of my faction leader. I was scared so obeyed about 3 times, then I thought this isn't going to stop is it. Allright let's crush them. Now I know when the chance for power is coming close and I have full stacks ready to steamroll Italy, including an army of well-skilled assassins (I usually manage to eliminate them without conquering them entirely).

In that first scipii campaign I conquered the entire map. Now I stop when I have a big enough empire and it becomes tedious and boring.

But you can avoid war with the senate by just doing only things they want and only conquer factions at war with the SPQR? Never knew that. I prefer the united rome of the realism mod anyway.
Alex_the_Bold
Legionary
posted 27 June 2012 15:59 EDT (US)     8 / 9       
I once managed to reach year 73BC without being at war with the Senate. The most annoying mission I ever got was to capture Campus Sakae without even being close to that settlement, as I was playing as the Julii. Oh and yes, that Numantia blockaging mission is really annoying... I also remember my most costly mission. I was ordered to leave the Domus Dulcis Domus region as I was allied with the Germans. The penalty would be the quaestor investigating my faction. I didn't obey and the quaestor took 9500 denarii off my treasury, crippling my economy. I was really pissed off...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
Great Cornholio
Legionary
posted 27 June 2012 19:40 EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Mission success, General hired barbarian mercs to build ram and the when the inf and archers arrived in the last month took the town with little trouble.

Senate favor is down to 5 shields but don't know if that will bounce back up with this success.

Trying to tempt Pontus to attack me in Turkey. Will see what happens next tonight.

Cornholio!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames