Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Routing too quickly
Bottom
Topic Subject:Routing too quickly
jackyboi1014
Legionary
posted 06 July 2012 19:10 EDT (US)         
Hello there. I was fighting the SPQR Romans in the battle for Rome while I was taking over Italy as Carthage(favorite faction) and I charged very experienced well armored Libyan Spearmen into Roman Princepes and after about 10-15 seconds of fighting my Spearmen were massacred in a 1 on 1 fight with these guys and I thought that wasn't too realistic. So I was wondering is there a way to make my units stay in the fight longer and stop the units numbers plummeting by 50 in a few seconds. I just want to see a proper fight and not an instant massacre.

Grasp the subject, the words will follow.
AuthorReplies:
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 06 July 2012 20:20 EDT (US)     1 / 8       
OK, now this could be a couple things. Firstly, What difficulty are you on? Secondly, was your general alive and near or was he dead or far away? Although Libyan Infantry is a massive improvement over Iberian Infantry, they are still no match for Roman Heavy Infantry and will be slaughtered.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 07 July 2012 01:18 EDT (US)     2 / 8       
In addition to the questions AE asked, what sort of experience did your Libyans have as compared to the Senate's Principes? If it was the same or less, you'd be at a disadvantage as Principes have better base stats than Libyans.
I'd recommend at least getting to Peoni, and preferably Sacred Band, before you take on the Senate.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 07 July 2012 04:53 EDT (US)     3 / 8       
Historically the Libyans were supposed to be more or less a match for Roman infantry, but in RTW the problem is that they are armed with spears. You'll notice that no matter what the stats, if non-phalanx spears start fighting people with swords, even if they're somewhat inferior units, they will struggle and take losses.

I'm not sure if it would work, but if you're determined to make fights last a lot longer and have the patience to do it, then you could try editing the Data\Export_Descr_Unit.txt file and lower everyone's melee, missile and defence skill stats but leave armour as it is. This way everyone should be proportionately better armoured but less good at fighting, so I'd imagine that they will kill each other at a much slower rate. Or, now that I think about it, it would be a lot quicker just to double everyone's armour strength - it will amount to the same thing. If you do this then I think you'll have to have a strategic reserve and rest troops as they become tired, because everyone will be utterly knackered after a few minutes of this!
Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 07 July 2012 14:20 EDT (US)     4 / 8       
Or you could download one of the mods that increase the morale of units. That way even inferior units might hold out long enough to play your tactics.
jackyboi1014
Legionary
posted 08 July 2012 09:03 EDT (US)     5 / 8       
My General was alive but he was fighting at my right flank the Principes were upgraded melee and armor I don't know how well upgraded, my Libyans had 1 gold chevron of experience and silver silver upgrades I was playing on VH/VH.

Grasp the subject, the words will follow.

[This message has been edited by jackyboi1014 (edited 07-08-2012 @ 09:06 AM).]

Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 08 July 2012 09:29 EDT (US)     6 / 8       
Ok, VH difficulty will give u an Disadvantage to u and an advantage to your enemies in terms of morale, attack and defense. Your general was occupied and not near the routed Libyans? This would have made them stay longer as the general will give a morale bonus, and they will be happy if he is behind them and they know their flanks are secure. Another possibility is that your Libyans got flanked when you wernt looking, this slaughtering them and causing them to rout..

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 08 July 2012 11:28 EDT (US)     7 / 8       
There is also the fact that Libyan infantry are basically on par with Hastati, while are outclassed by the Principes. I would recommend either downloading a mod (though if you like vanilla like many do, don't do that), or instead modify the game files mentioned above. I would also increase the morale of every unit, along side decreasing offensive stats. That will make the units fight longer. Vanilla is known for quick melee battles.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 08 July 2012 18:52 EDT (US)     8 / 8       
If you don't want your troops to rout so quickly, I recommend playing on a lower difficulty

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames