You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Triggering the Civil War
Bottom
Topic Subject:Triggering the Civil War
Mr Wonka
Legionary
posted 29 July 2012 14:37 EDT (US)         
In my first campaign I played as the Julii. I conquered all of modern day France, Spain and Britain at which point I could no longer expand as I was bordering the Bruti across central Europe. At this time I had 31 settlements and I had still not triggered the civil war, the only factions on the map where the Roman factions and Parthia who held one region. Soon after some of the Roman cities belonging to the other factions on the Italian peninsula started to riot and rebel. They didn't have enough troops stationed there to recapture their cities so I sent an army to take them. About ten turns after this, I had taken the whole Italian peninsula apart from Rome without fighting the Roman factions or triggering the civil war. Seeing this success I went to do the same in Africa where the Scipii were losing cities to rebels. As I closed in on Tingi (North Africa) the Scipii attacked my army and all of the Roman factions including me where outlawed. After this I took over and won the campaign.

I was hoping to play the campaign the way it was meant to be played where the senate would turn on you so I started a new campaign.

I played Julii again and at the time of writing I have 29 regions. I did not get the 'Take power' notice and once again I am at a point where I cannot expand. I don't have the support to attack a Roman Faction and the only borders I share are with the Bruti and Scipii. My popularity with the Senate is near the middle despite the fact I only do Senate missions if I was going to do it anyway. The Bruti and Scipii popularity are both at 1.

I read online that the triggering the civil war is dependent on your popularity with Senate and if it never declines, the civil war never really starts.

Does anyone have a definitive answer for how to trigger the civil war
AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 29 July 2012 16:08 EDT (US)     1 / 8       
Welcome to our hallowed halls, Mr. Wonka!

Your ability as a Roman to start the civil war is determined almost entirely by the number of territories you possess and the corresponding popularity you gain with the people. When you get to about 7 or 8 popularity with the people (this typically happens when you have somewhere between 20-35 territories), you should receive a message saying that you can now take power. At any point after that, you will be able to attack your fellow Romans as well as the Senate, which will kick off the civil war.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Mr Wonka
Legionary
posted 29 July 2012 16:19 EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I will need to be quicker in my next campaigns so I dont get cornered by the other Roman factions, either that or I could block them off instead.
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 29 July 2012 16:51 EDT (US)     3 / 8       
That's usually a good plan. Additionally, especially as the Julii, if you want to make money, you need to take Greece, even if the Senate doesn't tell you to. The benefits are two-fold; first, you block the Brutii, who tend to become the most powerful, and second, you get Greece, which is the most lucrative region in the game, with Italy being the second. As for the Scipii, don't worry about them; they get bogged down in Africa and Egypt and make them Roman, which is good.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 07 August 2012 06:21 EDT (US)     4 / 8       
I am working on an article covering this.

A bit late to help you out this time, but maybe you can pick up some pointers for your next Roman campaign?

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Mr Wonka
Legionary
posted 12 August 2012 16:17 EDT (US)     5 / 8       
Ye, Im sure it will be very helpful to me. I am still very new to this game and so far every campaign has been completely different which i find to be one of the main reasons the game is so fun to play. For example in my first two campaigns as the Julii Germany seemed to do very badly, they were quickly pushed back by the the Britons and were almost destroyed by the time I reached them. However in my most recent campaign as the Brutii Germany exploded, they own most of France and are pushing the Julii back at the top of Italy.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 12 August 2012 16:53 EDT (US)     6 / 8       
Look here for Terikel's article

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Mr Wonka
Legionary
posted 12 August 2012 19:18 EDT (US)     7 / 8       
Thanks for writing the article, it was very informative. One observation I have made from playing the game is that the civil war depends almost entirely on you popularity with the people which renders the popularity with the Senate useless.

This has lead me to question whether there is any point to doing senate missions. Apart from the odd reward that is useful such as 10000 denari, I don't see any real incentive to doing them. In my current campaign I have completely ignored senate missions and so far there have been no consequences. It may be to do with my difficulty level as I have played on m/m in all three of my campaigns so far. Am I missing something here?
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 12 August 2012 21:08 EDT (US)     8 / 8       
You're entirely correct that popularity with the Senate is rather unimportant. However, being unpopular with the Senate may cause them to trigger the Civil War before you want it to occur, which can hurt you and catch you unprepared to take Italy.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames