Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.17 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Best Greek Faction
Bottom
Topic Subject:Best Greek Faction
MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 23 August 2012 12:54 EDT (US)         
Guys, we are going to have a couple of topics and the first of them is this one.
I am going to have this topic about each culture and then the winner-factions will contest with each other.
For this topic the choices are:

-Greek Cities //
-Macedon /// Is the winner
-Thrace
-Seleucid Empire //

Which faction is the best? Please, give a reason if you can.

I vote Greek Cities because they have good infantry for hammer-and anvil tactic and ok-cavalry. They can easily unite Greece into one country and thus gain a "supereconomy".

[This message has been edited by MusCypricus (edited 08-26-2012 @ 01:49 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
SongsOfBeitar
Legionary
posted 23 August 2012 13:18 EDT (US)     1 / 17       
Question: Do we ignore starting positions/armies and economy?

If so I choose Macedon. I second the hammer anvil tactic but I feel it hinges more on the shock effect of cavalry and Macedon has that.
EDIT: economy is also real good.

[This message has been edited by SongsOfBeitar (edited 08-23-2012 @ 03:02 PM).]

MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 23 August 2012 14:52 EDT (US)     2 / 17       
No, economy/starting position does count, but as you voted, I shall include you vote. You are free to change your vote if you want though.
KorbinIgnacio
Legionary
posted 23 August 2012 14:59 EDT (US)     3 / 17       
I have to say the Seleucid empire. they have a larger variety of units. allowing for more variety in your armys. while you still have the very effective anvil and hammer of strong pike men and great heavy cavalry.
SongsOfBeitar
Legionary
posted 23 August 2012 15:01 EDT (US)     4 / 17       
What about mundus magnus? Because I think the Seleucids are really powerful in MM. I always feel so bad for the Seleucids in RTW because they just get torn apart every time.
AKBK
Legionary
posted 23 August 2012 19:28 EDT (US)     5 / 17       
I've gotta vote Macedon for the temples. The unit rosters are all balanced enough and hold their own strengths so as to differentiate calls on playing style, each starts with crippling weaknesses in the beginning game but which with work can translate into great advantages, so I have to pick based on the one thing that sets them apart; Temples. Seleucids have no military temple, greeks have no law temple, but Macedon has a perfect array for empire building.
SongsOfBeitar
Legionary
posted 24 August 2012 00:55 EDT (US)     6 / 17       
I love retraining Cretian archers in the temple of Artemis, they just become even more awesome.
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 24 August 2012 01:53 EDT (US)     7 / 17       
Seleucids have no military temple, greeks have no law temple, but Macedon has a perfect array for empire building.
Personally, I'd say the Seleucids have some of the better temples; Haphaestus, which gives upgraded armor and two experience; Asklepios, which gives health and eventually two experience; and Dionysus, which gives lots of happiness.

I would say the Seleucids are the best, because of their good starting position (i.e. close to Greece and the Aegean, but not to Italy), highly varied troops, and excellent economy.

A note: I would add Egypt to the list, as they are also strongly Greek influenced, at least in RTW.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 24 August 2012 03:44 EDT (US)     8 / 17       
This is more about vanilla. A no, I shall have a thread about desert factions which will include Egypt.
MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 24 August 2012 03:48 EDT (US)     9 / 17       
By the way, no one said anything about Thrace.
SongsOfBeitar
Legionary
posted 24 August 2012 08:56 EDT (US)     10 / 17       
Well, I've never played as Thrace though I know they have inferior phalanx units. I've also never really fought against them though I've ordered a few Thracian mercenaries in my time.

Can't really say either good or bad about the faction, sorry.
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 24 August 2012 11:52 EDT (US)     11 / 17       
I prefer the Greek Cities as my armies tend to be infantry heavy, and Armoured Hoplites are one of the best units in the game. They're cheap, available early in the game, and with Greece's economy you can make rather large armies of them.

Normally I would give Macedon the edge, Royal Pikemen aren't so well armoured and take losses from missiles which just bounce off the hoplites, but almost nothing gets through their pikes - hoplite spears aren't impenetrable. But I get bored waiting the age it takes large numbers of Royal Pikemen and Companion Cavalry to become available. They're also expensive and take 2 turns to produce.
SongsOfBeitar
Legionary
posted 24 August 2012 12:21 EDT (US)     12 / 17       
Awe, poor Thrace.
Is there no one who can effectively vouch for them?
MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 24 August 2012 13:08 EDT (US)     13 / 17       
Keep voting.
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 24 August 2012 14:33 EDT (US)     14 / 17       
Thrace suffers from slightly better than mediocre troops, which is only made up for a little by their starting position. Their pike units, militia hoplites, and phalanx pikemen, have the same stats as the Macedonian and Seleucid units of the same name. However, their "best" unit, bastarnae, are woefully under-armored, and fall to missile or even more heavily armored units. Their cavalry is the same as the Greek Cities (which is to say poor), and their temples are poor as well, with one giving happiness and the other a "morale" bonus, which may or may not be all that helpful. All in all, they have the handicaps of a barbarian faction coupled with the infrastructure of a civilized faction and have an often unrealized potential to at least be a contender.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 25 August 2012 05:05 EDT (US)     15 / 17       
I've never played as Thrace as their unit roster has never inspired me, there's nothing there that is really sufficient for world domination. Also the thought would go through my head, as I wince at the casualties that Greek Cavalry and Phalanx Pikemen will take in even a normal battle against Rome - why the hell am I doing this? I could be Macedon and fight with exactly the same units, but with the knowledge that there is better to come. Why struggle with Thrace when I could enjoy a game as Macedon?
MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 26 August 2012 03:46 EDT (US)     16 / 17       
Guys, one more vote and we are done with the Greeks.
Mr Wonka
Legionary
posted 26 August 2012 06:48 EDT (US)     17 / 17       
Hi, I will vote for Macedon as the best Greek faction.

To me they seem to have the best all rounded army, their cavalry are decent and the royal pikes are reliable. Macedon's starting position is also so extremely good, their cities are nicely clumped together in one of the most profitable regions of the map.

While the Greek cities have good soldiers in the armoured and spartan hoplites their cavalry is lacking and it forces you to put multiple generals in an army to have a good cavalry contingent. I find their starting position to be relatively weaker compared to the Macedon, their cities are too spread out and you end having to fight on multiple fronts just to defend what you have. Having a city on Scicily also forces you to fight the Romans quicker than you might like.

Thrace I find to be extremely weak, their infantry roster is poor, they don't have any elite infantry that would allow them to have presence in the late game. Their cavalry roster while being mediocre is also very small, you cant even make up for this by putting a lot of General's in an army as their General unit is also one of the worst in the game. Their starting position is nothing special, its a bit out the way but you will be attacked by much stronger neighbors.

As for the selucids, I know their unit roster is actually very strong if you are able to survive the initial battles with your surrounding factions. Overall I couldn't vote for them as their starting position puts a massive strain on them. In every campaign I have ever played, they have been destroyed fairly quickly.

I have not played the game for that long but I did hope to contribute something.

[This message has been edited by Mr Wonka (edited 08-26-2012 @ 06:50 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames