You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Best Eastern faction.
Bottom
Topic Subject:Best Eastern faction.
MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 26 August 2012 13:54 EDT (US)         
Right, the choices are:

-Parthia
-Armenia ///
-Pontus

I vote for Armenia as I think there roster is most balanced. (Although they do have a terrible starting position)

[This message has been edited by MusCypricus (edited 08-28-2012 @ 04:47 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 26 August 2012 16:52 EDT (US)     1 / 6       
I'd vote for Armenia too, as they do indeed have an good unit selection, as well as, in my opinion, a decent starting position. They start with a port, and, if you move quickly, a second within easy reach, in addition to all of Turkey and fairly quickly Seleucia.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 27 August 2012 04:24 EDT (US)     2 / 6       
I'd be happiest as Armenia. The units of Pontus have never really inspired me, and Parthia lack the solid infantry that I always crave. Armenia have a rather varied crop of units to choose from, so they could be easily adapted to cope with just about any situation. If I were to develop armies consisting almost entirely of heavy spearmen and cataphracts, they will wipe the floor with everything in the east and should be very comfortable against any Roman army too.
MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 28 August 2012 04:45 EDT (US)     3 / 6       
Keep voting.
MusCypricus
Legionary
posted 31 August 2012 11:08 EDT (US)     4 / 6       
OK, if no on votes against it, I'll say Armenia wins.
NPhard
Legionary
posted 12 September 2012 07:21 EDT (US)     5 / 6       
Parthia got Elephants
The distribution of their starting towns isn't great, same as Seleucids. To bad the infantry sucks and there is no access to good infantry mercenaries in the beginning.

Pontus has the best starting position of this three and a nice set of units, if you are into chariots. That is the problem with such polls, because nobody votes for Pontus or Brits, if people dislike chariots.

Armenia has a small set of units, but it is balanced without any hard to obtain special units

Because I like using siege towers, I vote for Armenia, but I didn't play Pontus until now.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 12 September 2012 09:04 EDT (US)     6 / 6       
I like battle-buggies, but I don't vote or not vote for a faction because of them.

Used by a human, they can be quite effective, less so under AI direction (they love to try and break spearbands by frontal assault). I've used a small stack of 4 chariots to completely eradicate a stack of Scythians, and another of Parthians. Giddyup, and when the light horsies of the archers and the heavy horses of the combat cavalry get caught in the bladed wheels- winner!

I do tend to get rather irritated fighting archers in buggies, but gaggles of Chosen Archers tend to put an end to that irritation rather quickly.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames