Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » quotes
Bottom
Topic Subject:quotes
ahenobarb
Legionary
posted 29 December 2004 10:55 EDT (US)         
I find one of the quotes from Plutarch that is used in the game poorly translated and generally annoying. It is the one that says, "Extraordinary rains pretty generally fall after great battles". I want to change this to "Extraordinary rains quite frequently fall after great battles", which both sounds better than Dryden's translation and uses the exact same number of characters.

I edited the quotes.txt file to make the change, however when I load the game it shuts downs. I have to use the original quotes.txt file to get the game to work.

Anybody know how to change the .txt file and still get the game to load?

AuthorReplies:
Segovax
Legionary
posted 29 December 2004 13:10 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
It bothers you that bad huh? Maybe you shouldn't look at the loading screen and go get a soda or something, to occupy yourself during that awfully slow 15 seconds... and im not sure if you can change quotes either

(`._.[Segovax]._.)
Movie Of The Week:
"King Arthur"
Apollo315
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 00:31 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Dryden wrote that line!?!?!? Ye gods! What was he trying to do, have a perfect iambic hexameter line?

Don't think you can fiddle with the quote files. I've heard of a couple people supplimenting their own quotes, and having the same problem. I'd just 'labor cheerfully and so endure/ the wind that blows from heaven' (10 points if you can find out who wrote that).

His ego nec metas rerum nec tempora pono:
Imperium sine fine dedi.
(P. Vergilius Maro, Aeneid I. 278-79)
We are all, so far as we inherit the civilisation of Europe, still citizens of the Roman Empire, and time has not proved Virgil wrong when he wrote nec tempora pono: imperium sine fine dedi.
(T.S. Eliot)
RedDawn
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 00:38 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
i took latin and ahenobarb got it right, way to go..check my sig, real latin

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay....
RyushiBlade
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 01:13 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
I had to laugh when I read that. Yes, yes, I know it's "I came, I saw, I ran away." But it looks like, "I came, I saw, I defecated."

Si Fecisti Nega! If You Did It, Deny It!
Potius Mori Quam Foedari. Rather to Die than to be Dishonored

Meh, I got a ton of those, heh. But that same quote (Extraordinary rains... etc.) annoys me, not because it's a bad translation, but because it's bad English period. There are also a few I consider slightly out of place, but I can't remember them at the moment.

ahenobarb
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 09:37 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
It reads like a sentence correction line from a standardized test.

Bummer that you can't change or add your own quotes.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames