You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » am i unlucky or im i bad...
Bottom
Topic Subject:am i unlucky or im i bad...
blockeyking1
Legionary
posted 29 December 2004 12:35 EDT (US)         
i folow adders stratagy to the letter on medium/medium without using auto resolve. i get to the last city (pavatium) of the instructions and they have a huge garrison there and a huge army with a 3 star general in my way! how the hell the stratagy works on hard/hard i dont know.
anyway after that i tuned it down did all my battles in auto resolve. and ive allmost got 20k and most of my towns are doing well
my question is i am deffinatly crap but how to improve without auto resolving all the time and hopefully move back up to m/m
AuthorReplies:
LordDragatus
Legionary
posted 29 December 2004 13:01 EDT (US)     1 / 4       
To improve any skill you need to use it. You can't become better in commanding battles if you always use auto resolve.

Just play the battles yourself. Experiment if you need to. If you have no better ideas you can always try to use infatry to engage the enemy and cavalry for flanking. Or if they have no spearmen you can try a frontal charge by lots of cavalry.

You can play custom battles as well. Give yourself a bonus if you need one, then try to win with minimal loses.

Lord Dragatus, 30th member of BTOOIC, The One Who Killed the Cow.
Xodus
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 05:49 EDT (US)     2 / 4       
there is little difference between medium and easy. it only takes the enemy longer to rout.

as far as i know, the computer does not use better tactics as the levels go up (dissapointing...)

i assume ur using julii. babarians are the easiest to defeat. they are no match for the kind of units u get.

have a few units of hastati occupy their infantry and charge calvary into the flank/ rear.

also, i believe war dogs will be very effective since they have little armour.

i have a question of my own... how does the campaign change if i switch from M to VH? i want to know what im up agaisnt =P

blockeyking1
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 06:36 EDT (US)     3 / 4       
thanks for the ideas
and just to give all noobs who read this forum a tip.
splitting ure army in 2 at the start 1 attackin segesta and 1 attacking pavata there wont be as big of a garrizon at pavata
Crackaces
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 20:03 EDT (US)     4 / 4       
Adders strategy works like a champ. Concentrating and then making a sweep is key to success of taking the two Gaul citys to the north.

When I played the Vanilla unmodded game I would use my diplomat to bribe units moving toward Pavium so I would not have to fight a huge stack before I was established economically.

Two tactics that greatly help fighting Gauls

1. They tend to attack you first with warbands. Putting your Hastatii in fire at will mode will provide a salvo before they make contact.

2. Use terrrain to your advantage. make them charge uphill do not fight them in the woods etc.

All over this site are more detailed advice but I find those two points key to victory.

Also the length of time before troops rout increases with hardness. So at the easy level the Gaul will rout on the third salvo of Pilum from your troops. At the VH level they hang in there and also do more damage.

CrackAces

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames