You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » best type of unit?
Bottom
Topic Subject:best type of unit?
eugeni
Legionary
posted 29 December 2004 17:51 EDT (US)         
to all:
Which in your estimate is the best all-round roman (julii) type of unit.
I see a lot about cav units being tops.

thanks,
e

gladiator in the service of the Imperator Titus Flavius Domitianus
AuthorReplies:
greasypig
Legionary
posted 29 December 2004 19:02 EDT (US)     1 / 9       
The cavalry are tops because they make mince meat out of light troops, especially if you can charge into the side of the enemy group or from behind.
I would have to say the principes and hastati are outstanding close-quarters fighters.
With their shields up they can advance on enemy troops and hold those troops at bay while they cut them to pieces.
And while your principes are engaging the enemy troops, your cavalry can run around behind the enemy and then charge in for the killer blow.
The triarii are supposed to be the most experienced and best-armed soldiers but in one battle against Spain I sent 150 triarii through the gates against light infantry and about a dozen cavalry and only six survived.
In another battle I advanced about 100 principes through the gates and they proved to be far more efficient.
My game has recently got to the stage where Marius has arrived and reformed the army but I haven't had a really intense battle with my new, better troops.
At the start of a battle I just walk my foot soldiers into the front line of the enemy and once I see opportunities present themselves only then do I run other infantry to exploit the breach.

[This message has been edited by greasypig (edited 12-29-2004 @ 07:04 PM).]

Rookierookie
Banned
posted 29 December 2004 21:42 EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Before Marius:
Equite, Principe, Archers

After Marius:
Arcani (if you can build them), Urban Cohort, Archer Auxilia, Legionary Cavalry

GLORYOFSPARTA
Seraph (in absentia)
posted 29 December 2004 21:49 EDT (US)     3 / 9       
I like charging hoplites with my Equites. Two packs of Wardogs would do great as well - they kill about anything.

GLORYOFSPARTA | RTWH and M2TWH Site Director, AoMH Game Information Admin, HeavenGames LLC
AoMH | RTWH | M2TWH | Ancient Greek Festival - 3rd to 4th of June in Watford, UK, 2006.
"Whoever obeys the gods, to him they particularly listen." - Homer
"GoS OWNS for being female and liking The Simpsons and Rammstein." - Crazed Ewok
eugeni
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 13:42 EDT (US)     4 / 9       
thanks all!

e

gladiator in the service of the Imperator Titus Flavius Domitianus
hano
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 19:02 EDT (US)     5 / 9       
The triarii are more powerful than the principes.
However, when fighting on the walls, avoid using spearmen.

I noticed that units equipped with swords fight far better on walls, which is logical if you think about it.

Xorhas EL Malek
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 20:29 EDT (US)     6 / 9       
Urban Cohort is the closest thing to a perfect legionary, or heavy infantry for that matter. These guys can take everything, cavalry charges, other infantry, archers(testudo), even elephants, if they dont get scared away too fast. The only way to beat Urban Cohorts is to use moralle-breaking techniques, as these guys are the single best non-phalanx head-on fighters in the game.
Captain Griffen
Legionary
posted 31 December 2004 08:58 EDT (US)     7 / 9       
What kind of moral breaking techniques would these be?

Good luck routing Urban Cohorts.

And in a campaign battle, with a decent general; only an elephant rampage, followed by 360 degrees of catapracts could make an Urban Cohort route.

But that would kill them...

Cataphracts from 2 directions will pretty much decimate an urban cohort...but if they melee it out, expect the catapracts to suffer considerable losses.

Armoured elephants charging, then charging through, will inflict casualties. Follow up with heavy infantry.

Rookierookie
Banned
posted 31 December 2004 09:10 EDT (US)     8 / 9       
Urban cohorts can be expected to take 90% casualties without routing unless they are attacked on all sides and/or had the general killed.
eschae
Legionary
posted 31 December 2004 09:41 EDT (US)     9 / 9       
No... THE way to kill urban cohorts is to use chosen axemen with warcry. Of course, you have to play german, but the urbans don't stand a chance.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames