Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Formation Question
Bottom
Topic Subject:Formation Question
Delcore
Legionary
posted 29 July 2015 18:10 EDT (US)         
To preface, I'd just like to say that I dug around the forums and google for my specific problem but can't honestly seem to find the solution to my particular problem. So, please don't crucify me if there is a thread that already exists for this. I looked hard.

Anyway, I just got done watching this RTW on Youtube

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIBNqqa2Tcw

At around 4:09 the player says to "hold alt + double right click". However, every time I do this action the only thing that happens is that my formation is locked in the state where my army is currently standing and can only rotate in a 360 degree angle. What can I do to fix this problem?

I'm rather new to multiplayer and have been trying to utilize hotkeys and online resources to get better at forming formations. Would appreciate any advice!

P.S. - How do you select a specific unit of the same type all at once?

[This message has been edited by Delcore (edited 07-29-2015 @ 06:10 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 29 July 2015 18:36 EDT (US)     1 / 4       
Typically, holding down the alt key changes your unit's attack from primary to secondary when you right click. In cavalry with spears as well as swords (or maces, in the case of cataphracts) this has your troops attack with their swords or maces instead of their spears. For units like legionaries, this has them use their swords instead of their pilia. If holding down the alt key and right clicking on your enemy doesn't work, I'd look at your hotkeys and see if alt has been mapped to something else.

To select all units of a certain type, simply hold down the ctrl key and double click on one of the unit's cards at the bottom of the screen.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 30 July 2015 05:32 EDT (US)     2 / 4       
You can also group units into battle-groups using Ctrl+(a number)

I typically group my front line into one, my archers/artillery into a second, my left cavalry into a third, my right cavalry into a fourth, and my reserves as a fifth.

Then it is simply click on the tab to select the group and draw a line on the ground where I want them to be. Point-and-click attacks from grouped archers can severely shred or assassinate a foe, and the hammer strikes of grouped cavalry upon those pinned by my infantry anvil often cause chain-routing.

Very effective!

And welcome to our forums!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Delcore
Legionary
posted 30 July 2015 13:16 EDT (US)     3 / 4       
Wow, this is completely a shock! For one, I was under the impression that this site was dead since there weren't many posts in a while. Secondly, I didn't even really expect to be replied to, especially in a short amount of time. This is such a surprise and a warm welcome! Haha.

In any case, I can confirm that I'm using default total war keys and haven't remapped anything. Could someone perhaps tell me what the key binding would be so I could try and remap it? Furthermore, if the problem still persists, what else could I try doing to fix or work around the issue without having to use group commands? (Not saying group commands are out of my question, just saying that I've used them for a while and would prefer to use the alt key demonstrated in the video).

Thanks again!
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 31 July 2015 12:25 EDT (US)     4 / 4       
What homeboy does at 4:09, alt+double click, sends the selected units to the clicked-on location at the run. He takes his pikemen out of phalanx (F-key) and by double-clikcing, sends them at the run. Holding the alt key while doing this lets them hold orientation. Notice how just before impact, he presses the F-key again to return the boys to phalanx formation (most effective) and they drop to a walk when that happens (phalanx cannot run).

The default controls are good enough, and rather intuitive. You can go to the Options menu, controls, and see what is what and if you want to change them. Maybe you do not. Check out what is there and what you want. I worte an article here about it a while ago. Its wisdom still applies.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames