You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Not sure what to do...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Not sure what to do...
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 18 August 2015 07:22 EDT (US)         
Hello!
I've recently joined this forum to ask a few questions about my campaign (and other things).
I'm not new to Rome: Total War but I only bought the game recently, and am currently playing through my first serious campaign as the Brutii Romans.

My problem is that I'm not sure what to do next. I'm in the late-game and the only surviving factions are the Scipii, Julii, Brutii (me), SPQR, Britannia and Egypt. I'm at war with both non-Roman factions, and while my war with Egypt is a breeze, my war with Britannia isn't as successful.

A few towns that belong to me are being attacked by the Britons who keep sending large armies of warbands and swordsmen. Lucky for me, I have post-Marian troops, but the only good troops I can recruit on the British border are Auxilia, Velite Gladiators, Early Legionaries and Roman Cavalry. Will they be enough?

Also, the Julii have a border with the Britons (the only other faction being me) but they aren't attacking, so essentially I'm really the only one at war with Britannia.
Help!
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 19 August 2015 04:20 EDT (US)     1 / 9       
Hail!

I assume from your post that your post-marian troops have annihlated the British in every battle? And how many cities do the Britons have remaining?

Late-game to me means the civil was is on and my armies are massive and sweeping all before them. I assume from your post that the Roman Civil war has yet to start, while you are conquering Egypt and Britain.

My advice to you would be to keep the Britons penned with auxilia and archer auxilia, and concentrate your best troops around the Italian and Greek cities of your foes. And do this right quick, for by the time you finish of the eggies, the Senate will be demanding your Faction Leader's heart on a stick.

So I would be holding the borders and preparing to strike my erstwhile allies before they can do the same to me. Remember- if you have Post-Marian troops, so do they.

Good luck!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 19 August 2015 16:40 EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Thanks.
Yes, the post-Marian troops have done quite well when defending against the Britons. They currently hold all of their homeland and all of Germania, which isn't that much compared to the three Roman factions.
I'm building armies in Italy as the population there is so huge, it actually started to decline.
As for the civil war, I currently have the highest (maximum) popular support and so I am the only one who can attack Rome.
This brings me to my next question:
How many armies do I need to capture Rome?
I think they have 1 fullstack outside and 1/4 fullstack in the city, but things might have changed.
Thanks,
Mons Badonicus
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 20 August 2015 00:29 EDT (US)     3 / 9       
To take Rome, you only need 1 good army (if you scroll down to the bottom of this article, you can see what I mean by that), but you'll want to have 2-4 additional armies to block alternate routes of advance, and enough troops to hold onto the cities you take.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 20 August 2015 02:26 EDT (US)     4 / 9       
I like to park an army by the ford near Rome and attack their field army with another. That sometimes draws the garrison of Rome out to battle, where they can get stomped relatively easy.

I do so love bridge or ford battles!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 20 August 2015 16:28 EDT (US)     5 / 9       
Thanks for the help.
I love bridge battles as well, because they essentially cripple the two most annoying units (in my opinion), which are chariots and elephants.
I notice in the recommended Brutii army composition, there are 9 Praetorians, but I think I'll just go with 2 armies worth of Early Legionaries.
Thanks,
Mons Badonicus
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 21 August 2015 02:29 EDT (US)     6 / 9       
Against primitive foes in areas with smaller towns, I too would go with the Early Legionaries. They are easily retrainable, whereas Praetorians or Legionary Cohorts require much larget owns and Army Barracks.

Early ones are good enough to handle a few barbarians!

Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 24 August 2015 18:40 EDT (US)     7 / 9       
I've captured Rome!
The SPQR did have a large amount of pre-Marian troops, and only one first cohort. Is that normal? It seems a bit TOO easy for me.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

Papers, please.
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 24 August 2015 22:10 EDT (US)     8 / 9       
Unless you give them a ton of time, the SPQR rarely builds many post-Marius troops, and even then they tend to pick the crappy ones.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 26 August 2015 11:21 EDT (US)     9 / 9       
SPQR only pose a serious threat to you if you're able to attack Rome very early on in the game, all those experience points and generals they have make them quite powerful and difficult to rout. But later on though they'll be looking every bit as antiquated as you found them to be. The problem SPQR has is that they're a faction which controls only one city and has an expensive army acting like a lead weight on their economy. As the game doesn't allow these troops to be automatically converted to post-marian equivelants, or for the existing ones to be disbanded and replaced, they are, in a word, stuffed.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames