You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Which factions have access to which city sizes?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Which factions have access to which city sizes?
JosephMuray
Legionary
posted 28 September 2015 11:54 EDT (US)         
It's all there in the title. I'm just curious to find out which factions are limited to Minor Cities, and which can build up to Huge Cities. To my current understanding, I've seen the following thus far [feel free to correct me on any if I'm mistaken, those with the * are ones I have confirmed first hand];

Minor Cities:
Briton*, Gaul*, Germany, Dacia*, Spain*, Scythia*

Huge Cities:
Rome*, Egypt?, Carthage?, Macedon?, Greece?

Those last four I'm not 100% certain on, but I think I've run into them having Huge, or at least Large cities at some point. Currently, I've no clue about Pontus, the Seleucids, Parthia, Numidia, or Armenia. If anyone has a definitive list of which factions have what limits, I'd much appreciate it.
AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 28 September 2015 18:22 EDT (US)     1 / 6       
Welcome to our hallowed halls, JosephMuray!

The easiest way to find this out is to look in the export_descr_builings file, and find the Proconsul's Palace (other factions call it different things, but this is where to look). After the name of the building, it will say "requires factions" and list the factions that can build that building. I'm not sure what would happen if you added a barbarian faction to the proconsul's palace, but I suspect you'd need to do more than just that to allow them to build bigger cities (although maybe not, I haven't tried- maybe you can try and let us know).

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
JosephMuray
Legionary
posted 28 September 2015 22:15 EDT (US)     2 / 6       
Many thanks, for the info and the welcome, Sajaru. I've not played a modded game [outside of unlocked factions] in some time, but I'll give it a shot in the near future and report my findings.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 29 September 2015 07:11 EDT (US)     3 / 6       
A safe bet is that the 'Civilized' factions (Rome, Greece, Egypt, Carthage, etc) got to Huge cities, Barbarian factions (Germans, Gauls, Britons, etc) are limited to minor cities, and the semi-civilized such as Pontus and Thrace can build to Tier 4.

But that is just a rule of thumb. Check to be sure.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 29 September 2015 20:17 EDT (US)     4 / 6       
Pontus and Thrace can build to Tier 4.
They can actually get to huge cities- one major advantage they have over the barbarians. In fact, I don't think any faction that can reach large cities can't make huge ones.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 30 September 2015 03:51 EDT (US)     5 / 6       
I think you are right.

I thought Huge cities were limited to the main civilized, probably because when I played as Thrace and Pontus I never got further than Large city- I ran out of enemies before I could grow them bigger, I guess. Or simply forgot- old people do that, you know.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 01 October 2015 00:33 EDT (US)     6 / 6       
Or simply forgot- old people do that, you know.
That must be why you need us young'uns . Pontus, Thrace (and Parthia) are what I tend to consider semi-civilized; they get huge cities, more advanced training facilities and troops, but not the truly elite units and infrastructure like the Romans or Greeks.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames