You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Favorite Settlement?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Favorite Settlement?
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 08 February 2016 22:23 EDT (US)         
Weird question, but does anyone here have a favourite settlement in good old RTW? Like one that makes it invaluable due to it's position or other?

I hold a fondness in my heart for the city of Carthage. Although it has a large population and comes with the associated public order headaches, it is an incredibly rich settlement due to its position and possibilities for trade with Sicily etc. And it's central location means that even when it is the center of my grand empire, it still comes in useful.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
AuthorReplies:
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 09 February 2016 03:32 EDT (US)     1 / 10       
I think it would have to be Athens for me as it's an economic powerhouse. And if you are the Greek Cities or are just moving into the area, it's also one of the first places nearby that can build triremes - very useful in that area. Corinth is in with a very good shout too because of its wonder giving a +4 happiness bonus everywhere, which makes a huge difference if you're struggling to subdue the plebs.
General_Zavier
Legionary
posted 09 February 2016 18:59 EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Hey guys!

I actually downloaded RTW on steam a few months ago (I still have my CD version somewhere, but it doesn't work with Windows 10) and I've been playing a lot of campaigns focused in the east lately in which I've definitely found a love for Antioch that I don't think I had back in my RTW heyday. It starts off as city, which is nice, and has a decently high growth rate as well, but never gets as bad public order wise as Alexandria or Carthage.

It is also a great defensive city as long as you have a consolidated empire to back it up. If you control Anatolia, just park an army in Antioch (with another in eastern Anatolia) and you're protected from the Parthians to the east and the Eggies to the south. If you have Egypt and the Levant, it is a good place to set up a defense of your northern border. And if I'm playing as Armenia or Parthia (which I probably play as the most), after I take everything northeast of the Euphrates, I just take Antioch and park 10-15 units of horse archers there, and wait for everyone else to keep throwing their armies at me. After a while, I have a bunch of gold and silver horse archers, and the rest of the middle east is exhausted of armies.

I also like playing in the east a lot as it means the Romans still get to be the "End Game Boss" of sorts, starting anywhere else (except maybe Iberia or Britain) means the Romans always come knocking on your door before they can set up a huge empire or sometimes even hit the Marian reforms.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 10 February 2016 12:25 EDT (US)     3 / 10       
Welcome back!
I still have my CD version somewhere, but it doesn't work with Windows 10
Another good reason not to upgrade... They are piling up now.

My favorites? Since Oslo is not in the game, I would go with Batavodurum for the sake of familiarity. Both the II Adiutrix and the X Gemina spent time there. Plus it is a fun place.

On the strategic side... Patavium! The gateway to the north and the east as a Roman with no ships. Holding that territory with a few watchtowers on the borders can effectively block invasions from the north and east- or serve as a launch pad into those areas. I usually almost always build a Sacred Circle there and pump out berzerkers...

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 25 February 2016 00:25 EDT (US)     4 / 10       
Byzantium is an old favourite of mine....
A perfect settlement due to its commanding position over the Hellespont and a perfect place to build armies before I send my Roman hordes forth to do battle with the Pontics and Egyptians.
The surrounding area is rich with mercs. The ones I don't have a use for I just disband to bolster the population of the city, which grows rapidly, meaning that I have a large and wealthy city from which I churn out legions of Romans...
Byzantium FTW!

On a side note, welcome back, Terikel and GS! Got a bit worried there when neither of you posted a single thing for what seemed like a year! Hope the brutal snow didn't freeze you to death!

Papers, please.

[This message has been edited by Mons Badonicus (edited 02-25-2016 @ 00:33 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01 March 2016 00:46 EDT (US)     5 / 10       
We post nearly daily, Mons.

One could ask where you have been looking.

True, we tend to be more reactive than proactive these days, but we are also older and habve more Real LifeTM responsibilities now, which cut into our online time (sin).

Never in the past four years have I seen a question or a post go unanswered by a mod for more than 48 hours, most often within 24 hours there is a comment or an answer.

Exception to rule: Articles and Guides. I tend to browse the RTW discussions and Community forums, and try to pop by Articles when I see activity there. Sometimes I get cut off in my routine (Articles is the last on the list) and then the system marks the threads as no longer new, so at times I miss something there.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 03-04-2016 @ 06:25 AM).]

Jmonster
Legionary
posted 01 March 2016 18:03 EDT (US)     6 / 10       
I generally start in the East and wind up making Antioch my capitol as soon as possible regardless of which faction I am playing over there. When the I have the Eastern half of the map I will sometimes switch to Crete.

I also like to migrate Parthia or Armenia in the first few turns to Crete. Makes for a slow start, but once the trade routes are established you can build a navy and start introducing Spaniards, Germans ect. to HA's and Cata's. Lots of fun.
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 02 March 2016 04:05 EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Armenian Crete? That sounds like an interesting and balanced campaign because Armenia has decent infantry (and a decent roster).
Parthian Crete? Since Parthia's infantry is so weak, that sounds like a more challenging and cav-based campaign.
Don't take my word for it though. I haven't tried it.

Papers, please.
Jmonster
Legionary
posted 02 March 2016 07:35 EDT (US)     8 / 10       
When using a cav faction like that I am usually acting more like a powerful Mediterranean pirate band. It's fun for those weeks when I don't really have time set and micromanage a campaign. I come in and exterminate somebody's rich coastal city and take the money home!
Eventually one of the Romans, Egypt, or Carthage has to try and stop you.
You only need to keep up a couple of armys, and a good Navy of course.
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 02 March 2016 19:23 EDT (US)     9 / 10       
I think Rhodes might be my favorite settlement; tiny island, ability to recruit Cretan Archers, and, of course, the Colossus all make it a must-have for just about any faction I'm playing.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 04 March 2016 06:24 EDT (US)     10 / 10       
For me, Rhodes is a must to take. I love the Colossus, but more the bonus to trade it gives.

Ka-Ching!

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames