You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » RTW online?
Bottom
Topic Subject:RTW online?
Jmonster
Legionary
posted 01 March 2016 17:59 EDT (US)         
Hey all, first post. Been playing RTW since it came out, but have never once played online. I still have a computer running windows 7 just to make sure nothing interferes with my killing Roman's.

My question is probably answered in here somewhere, but I failed to find it. Can I still play Multiplayer. I have the old 3cd set with the original code. When I finally tried to click on multiplayer it was a dead end.

I hear you all talking about MP games, watch them on YouTube, but haven't figured out how to try it out.

Sorry for a new post on what I am sure is an old subject.
AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 02 March 2016 19:29 EDT (US)     1 / 8       
GameSpy, the original multiplayer provider for RTW, is no longer in business. According to this thread, you can either play through Gameranger or Steam- with the CD, it'd be through Gameranger. Take a look at the information in the above thread and we can help out if you're having issues with it.

As for making RTW work on newer operating systems, check out my answers in this thread for Windows 8 and this thread for Windows 10. And as always, let us know if you're running into any issues.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Jmonster
Legionary
posted 02 March 2016 21:42 EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Thank you General!
I figured you guys had already covered this stuff. I have just been playing silently under my rock for ..... years now. LOL.

Thanks for the redirects.
KimJongLi
Legionary
posted 03 March 2016 05:46 EDT (US)     3 / 8       
Yes, if you have the CD copy, you can install and use gameranger. If you still have your CD key you can activate it on steam and get it for free there too if you like.

(づ ̄  ̄づ ヾ(*⌒ヮ⌒*)ゞ (-'๏_๏'-) 。◕‿◕。 ๏[-ิ_ิ]๏ (ิ_ิ? (/ิ_ิ/ ,,l, (^_^) ,l,, U^_^U =^_^=
Jmonster
Legionary
posted 03 March 2016 21:58 EDT (US)     4 / 8       
cool, any difference? Let me guess...its already been covered in here somewhere. I'll look it up. This site is amazing. I find myself just reading and reading and...
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 03 March 2016 22:38 EDT (US)     5 / 8       
I'm not sure if we've specifically had a thread comparing the CD version and the Steam version of RTW, but the main things I've noticed are a number of extra resolutions and the ability to play on newer operating systems.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
KimJongLi
Legionary
posted 04 March 2016 17:32 EDT (US)     6 / 8       
From a multiplayer perspective, the main differences are:
- steam is version 1.5.1 while CD is 1.5 you can check this in options in the top right corner
- More lag but also more players on steam compared to GR
- replays become weird if you play them in different versions (say a game from 1.5 gets replayed in 1.5.1 it gets corrupted)
- When you are playing on GR make sure the RTW.exe file is the CD version exe as you cannot play with different versions in multiplayer

Gameplay wise the steam version is exactly the same as the CD version.

(づ ̄  ̄づ ヾ(*⌒ヮ⌒*)ゞ (-'๏_๏'-) 。◕‿◕。 ๏[-ิ_ิ]๏ (ิ_ิ? (/ิ_ิ/ ,,l, (^_^) ,l,, U^_^U =^_^=
Jmonster
Legionary
posted 05 March 2016 08:54 EDT (US)     7 / 8       
Thanks for the info, I have the CD so I will probably take the easy route. Just finishing some online college courses up and playing in my spare time right now. Our DSL is so slow out here in the boonies that I will probably be playing late at night. Think it might be fun and help me with my micro management skills. pretty sure the AI I have been playing for the last decade has earned me a lot of bad habits. LOL.
I just build Cata's and rule the stupid AI.
I can't even remember the last time one of my games lasted long enough for Rome to revolt, or go through the reforms. In fact, I don't think I have played against any factions top tier units in a very long time. Other than what the game gives them in the beginning. Sele, and Armenia just expand and then build Cata's and then its pretty much over for the rest of the world.
Can't wait to play someone with a brain.
I have Rome II, but I always go back to Rome I. It's just cleaner...or something.
KimJongLi
Legionary
posted 05 March 2016 20:03 EDT (US)     8 / 8       
Can confirm my understanding of the game improved by leaps and bounds after i got stuck in to multiplayer

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames