Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Oh dear
Bottom
Topic Subject:Oh dear
ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 11 June 2016 03:24 EDT (US)         
I just wanted to share with you all a very big mistake I made on my latest campaign. I've been flicking between two games, as the Greeks and the Julii. The latter is the most advanced and has nearly recreated the historical Roman Empire (not by design, that's just the way the game went). I'm playing it on the Mundus Magnus mod, so I already control about as many cities as exist in Vanilla, and my empire is a model of control and order. No threats of rebellion, the economy is improbably massive, powerful legions guard my borders that are peaceful, many more are cutting a path of devastation through the Egyptian-controlled Middle East, and I've kept up with my rapid expansion to leave garrison forces behind to immediately crush any rebels who pop up, whilst the newly conquered cities are immediately made ready to retrain my mighty army. It's been a tour de force.

Then I had a quick go as the Greeks, did a little Carthage beating, and saved my game. Over the top of the Roman one. And there is no backup. In all my years of playing this is the first time I've done this! A moment of distraction and all those hours were lost.

Oh well I suppose I'll just have to kill everybody all over again. But this time my Empire will be better!
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 12 June 2016 08:15 EDT (US)     1 / 3       
I am truly sorry to read of your loss.

I have felt this pain, too. And one cannot always blame the hapless metal-and-plastic box for all foul-ups. A shame we must live with.

On the bright side, you get a chance to do it again as you pointed out, and can have just as much fun as before.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 19 June 2016 15:03 EDT (US)     2 / 3       
Maybe it's better this way. Now, your empire shall be forever immortalised in your memory at the height of its glory, poised to deal a mighty crushing blow to the remainder of the known world; instead of toothless, hunched and senile, finally passed away after centuries of slow decay, crumbling from within. I'm sure it's how they would have liked to be remembered.

But in seriousness - I often find it almost slightly depressing once you've achieved your goals in a campaign. The save just sits there untouched forevermore, opened once or twice six months later to survey the glories of your limitless realm and maybe play a few more turns from time to time, but without having any real enthusiasm for doing anything more. The more recent TW games have dealt with that a bit more I think with revolts and betrayals and the like but I've not really played them seriously enough to know.

I do appreciate the annoyance though - I've definitely done that more than once!

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

*tegos, -esos, noun, neuter. house.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 06-19-2016 @ 03:03 PM).]

ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 20 June 2016 11:06 EDT (US)     3 / 3       
This is very true. Games have a beginning and they must have an end. I have occasionally stuck with one all the way, until there is no one else to fight, but as you said games are mostly quietly put into retirement because the enthusiasm has gone. I'm not sure how much further I would have gone with my Rome campaign, I certainly had my eye on knocking out Pontus and dealing with the Britons and Germans, but I'm not sure I had the stomach for fighting the Seleucids (major players in Mundus Magnus) all the way to the Hydaspes. I do have an ambition to conquer the world with someone on Mundus Magnus though. That's like conquering every city in Vanilla, and having to do it all over again.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames