Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » map.rwm confuses me
Bottom
Topic Subject:map.rwm confuses me
derUlf42
Legionary
posted 01 August 2016 03:00 EDT (US)         
I wanted to balance the game by having the Brutii capture Sardinia for their first senate mission. The only way I saw to achieve that, was to swap Syracuse and Caralis in the descr_regions.txt file. So I did that, deleted the map.rwm file and it worked perfectly.
However, after restarting the game it was back to normal right now I have to delete the map.rwm file again every time I want to play.
Any ideas why that is or what can be done against it?
AuthorReplies:
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 01 August 2016 18:07 EDT (US)     1 / 11       
Welcome to our hallowed halls derUlf42!

Can you explain exactly what you did to the descr_regions file? If you're having to force the map.rwm file each time you go to start a new game, it sounds like your change isn't taking quite right.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
derUlf42
Legionary
posted 02 August 2016 03:57 EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Thank you for the warm welcome, and your reply of course. It's great to see there are still people who share my love for this game!

All I did to the descr_regions file was to simply replace "Caralis" with "Syracuse" and vice versa. So now it reads

Sardinia
Syracuse
carthage
Beronicensis
198 35 13
wine, slaves, dogs, pigs

and

Sicilia_Graecus
Caralis
macedon
Syracusans
198 178 13
grain, timber, slaves, dogs, pigs, sparta, italy

I also exchanged their names in the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names file, but that has only cosmetic effects, right?
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 02 August 2016 18:55 EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Hmm, my first thought is that just changing the names may not be sufficient for a long-term change in how the game works.

However, let's see if we can't make it work; when you delete the map.rwm file and start a new game, the town on Sardinia normally named Caralis is now named Syracuse (and vise versa)? What happens when you start a new game and don't delete the map.rwm file; does it revert to being named Caralis?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
derUlf42
Legionary
posted 03 August 2016 01:49 EDT (US)     4 / 11       
For just changing the names I would have only worked with the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names file (let's ignore I did that as well, not to confuse matters unnecessarily). I thought altering the descr_regions file would change the actual settlements rather than just the displayed names. Apparently in the long term that's insufficient indeed, yet oddly it works in the short term, which surely adds to my confusion.

You got it exactly right: when I delete the map.rwm file, the town on Sardinia is now Syracuse and target of the Brutiis first senate mission; when I don't, it's back to being Caralis again and not the target anymore either.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 03 August 2016 12:23 EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Isn't there a file like the event file that directs the senate missions?

Renaming towns (not the onscreen names, but the internal names) might screw up something else in the game. A lot of things are tied to internal names.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 03 August 2016 14:54 EDT (US)     6 / 11       
How very odd.

Perhaps you could try setting the new map.rwm that is generated the first time to read-only in the properties? Perhaps the game is altering it afterwards... shot in the dark though.

I've never fiddled with it, but isn't there a file specifically for senate missions somewhere?

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

*tegos, -esos, noun, neuter. house.
derUlf42
Legionary
posted 03 August 2016 14:55 EDT (US)     7 / 11       
Is there? According to my knowledge the missions are hard coded...

Any insights on what exactly the renaming might screw up? I used to think it was a rather simple operation (what a fool I was).

Actually I already tried to set the map.rwm to read-only - didn't do the trick unfortunately Also copying the freshly generated file to later paste it in didn't help.

[This message has been edited by derUlf42 (edited 08-03-2016 @ 02:58 PM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 05 August 2016 02:38 EDT (US)     8 / 11       
I went through the descr_senate.txt file. It appears the first missions are hardcoded, the rest resulting from a matrix of semi-random choices. That last can be edited to improve rewards, reduce options, etc, but the first ones you are stuck with.

Sorry.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
derUlf42
Legionary
posted 06 August 2016 16:28 EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Thanks for your efforts! So it looks like I'm indeed stuck with the approach I had already chosen... I take it you don't have any more potential explanations to offer for the weirdness I experienced?
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 07 August 2016 03:29 EDT (US)     10 / 11       
It looks like you're going to have to delete the map.rwm file each time to get the first mission to work the way you want it to. Sorry we weren't able to work out anything more elegant or permanent.

derUlf42
Legionary
posted 09 August 2016 05:07 EDT (US)     11 / 11       
Yeah, looks like I'll keep on doing that.
Well, it's very much worth the trouble; I've made plenty of changes in order to optimize the balance, but this one is certainly the most important!
Thanks again for your suggestions, even if they couldn't solve my problem.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames