You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Unit Modding Question (unexplained CTD from unmodified unit)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Unit Modding Question (unexplained CTD from unmodified unit)
WhateverSauce
Legionary
posted 08 October 2016 11:42 EDT (US)         
Hey guys

I've got back into playing RTW and decided to try my hand at modding it. Nothing too grand just give a few factions an extra unit or two and maybe come up with something special.

But I've run into a problem. Whenever I try and field a Thracian army with Peltasts in it the game will CTD without an explanation. I've not even edited greek_peltasts or modified anything about them in any shape or form. I can field whole armies of peltasts from the other greek factions without a problem but it seems Thrace has suddenly had enough of these javelin-throwing hillbillies .

The only editing I've done with Thrace so far is I've given them Hoplites and Ballistas. I've not used any custom .tga or .cas files and have been using only vanilla textures and models for new units. I've checked to make sure all the text files I've used are correct (in spelling and alignment where appropriate) and that all the .tga/.cas are where they should be. I'm also using the -mod:switch command and have all files backed up.

Running the game without using the modified files works fine but I can't work out what the hell is causing the CTD. Every other unit both old and new work fine but Thracian Peltasts want the day off. The only thing I've not tried is separating them from the "greek" pool and creating a new unit entirely.

If there's anyone still here that knows a thing or two about how to mod RTW I'd greatly appreciate any advice and can supply more information if needed. While I wouldn't say it's a major issue I would like to know whats causing it.

Thanks again for any help.
AuthorReplies:
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 10 October 2016 11:41 EDT (US)     1 / 8       
Hi,

You can call me an experienced modder (lol).

Have you tried to use the show_err command? It will give you an error when crashing (not always). If you have a shortcut on your desktop, right click on it and the hit properties.

Then you see the 'target' line. Something like this is there:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\RomeTotalWar\RomeTW.exe"

Now you just need to add this after the path: show_err. Don't forget to add a space between it.

Now run the game and see if you get an error when loading the units

When you already have this, say it and I will try to help you futher.
WhateverSauce
Legionary
posted 10 October 2016 12:02 EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Hey thanks for the reply. Turns out I didn't properly check the path in the descr_model_battle file, the path to the texture was missing a word so the game couldn't load the unit properly, causing the crash. As i said I hadn't intended to alter this unit so I must've just done it by accident while editing something else. Too much copy/pasta in script editing but it's pretty fun (and easy) to modd this game.

I'll remember to use the -show_err. command next time though if I've buggered something up and can't figure out why.

Cheers for the help.
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 10 October 2016 14:37 EDT (US)     3 / 8       
Hi

NP its nice you know the problem now. You can always have the show_err cmd enabled, for future mistakes. Im currently creating my own mod so I know most errors occuring.

Hint: If you want to make skins or unit cards, you can always contact me for free
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 10 October 2016 21:07 EDT (US)     4 / 8       
Welcome to our hallowed halls, WhateverSauce. Glad Dagovax was able to help you out. There are still a few of us around, and we're always happy to help as we're able.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
WhateverSauce
Legionary
posted 11 October 2016 16:28 EDT (US)     5 / 8       
Thanks guys.

Dagovax I've actually just started trying to alter the textures using gimp with the dds plugin. Sometimes the alterations I make don't change the skin on the model. I can create a Thracian/Seleucid hoplite from using textures from other units and copy pasta them over a similar image and it'll load up in game looking how I want but I can't create an armoured Thracian/Seleucid hoplite using the same process, it just looks the same in game. Pretty sure it has something to do with layers and I've tried to flatten the image before exporting it but it always loads with its original skin, no alterations visible. Should mention I've never used gimp or any image editing software so I'm clueless for the most part so any help would be appreciated.

Also if there's anything I can do to with the mod your making I can return the favour and offer you my (slightly limited) help.

[This message has been edited by WhateverSauce (edited 10-11-2016 @ 04:30 PM).]

Dagovax
Legionary
posted 12 October 2016 01:11 EDT (US)     6 / 8       
Thank you, it's nice we can help each other out. Personally I use Adobe Photoshop CS 15 to edit the textures (with .dds plugin), and I use 3dsMax to edit the models.

My mod is almost finished, and I need a supertester to test my mod before it goes online. (I hope you will test it)

[send me a mail so we can correspond in private to dagovax@gmail.com]

Dagovax

[This message has been edited by Dagovax (edited 10-12-2016 @ 01:11 AM).]

General_Zavier
Legionary
posted 15 October 2016 20:06 EDT (US)     7 / 8       
Sometimes the alterations I make don't change the skin on the model. I can create a Thracian/Seleucid hoplite from using textures from other units and copy pasta them over a similar image and it'll load up in game looking how I want but I can't create an armoured Thracian/Seleucid hoplite using the same process, it just looks the same in game. Pretty sure it has something to do with layers and I've tried to flatten the image before exporting it but it always loads with its original skin, no alterations visible. Should mention I've never used gimp or any image editing software so I'm clueless for the most part so any help would be appreciated.
I've run in to this problem before especially with textures and unit cards in the UI file. I'm not a hundred percent certain but I believe it might have something to do with which version of windows you are using. I know the newer versions of windows create automatic backups of files in a completely different place on your computer than the main game folder and for some reason when running the game it defaults to these backups if there is a discrepancy.

I found out about this in the first place when I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling RTW (from a CD, not from Steam) on Windows 8, and every time I tried to install it, my computer told me that it couldn't reinstall RTW because it hadn't been uninstalled and it still detected a copy of the files on my machine. It was a few years ago so I don't remember what program I used but I had to download some software that basically scoured my entire computer for any mention of RTW and then I had to manually delete everything before it would let me reinstall (I don't remember where it found the backup files though). Unfortunately, this was all for naught because of the absurd copy protections on many early 2000s games that meant I couldn't run the CD version on Windows 8 or newer anyway and I had to download the Steam version.

I'm not sure why it does this with texture files too, but I've run into it enough times that I've found some simple enough workarounds. If you are editing the actual texture file of a unit (aka that goes in your "models_unit/textures" folder, I just add an extra number and rename it something like "barb_scythian_lancer_scythia_1.tga.dds" and then change the "descr_models_battle" file to reflect this.

If you are trying to change a unit card (for example in my game I gave Scythian Lancers a cataphract horse instead of their regular heavy horse and wanted to edit the unit card in the UI folder to show the correct horse type) the work around is similar, just change the unit name to barb_scythian_lancer_scythia_1 in the "export_descr_unit," "export_descr_buildings," "export_descr_unit_enums," and the "text/descr_unit" files. Then save the unit card under the new name and it should appear correctly in game.

I'm not sure if either of those are the easiest ways to fix the issue with new textures not appearing, but they were what I sort of stumbled across while teaching myself to mod.

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people. ~Anonymous
Romano British AAR ~Defunct.
Kingdom of Albion AAR ~Finished 1/26/08.
WRE Migration/Defensive AAR ~Defunct.
Numidian Defensive AAR ~Ongoing
Dagovax
Legionary
posted 16 October 2016 03:55 EDT (US)     8 / 8       
There are two things that must be clear when trying to add new textures.
1: you need to change descr_model_battle.txt to see your new texture. Remember that your texture skin must be in DDS format. (You have to manualy add .tga after saving your file in DDS format.

2: For adding unit cards you need save the battlecard as [#unit_description.tga], and the info card as [unit_description_info.tga]
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames