You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Inciting revolts in Allied Towns?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Inciting revolts in Allied Towns?
Maurice76
Legionary
posted 03 February 2017 11:45 EDT (US)         
I recently started another run through vanilla Rome: Total War, this time with the Julii. The game has progressed nicely so far; although the Brutii botched their conquest of Greece, causing the Scipii to step in instead of conquering Carthage, I managed to conquer pretty much Western and Central Europe. With Scipii succeeding where the Brutii did not, Scipii soon spread north, all the way into what are the Baltic nations in our current day world.

Given the current state of "my" empire, the Roman Civil War is close. I purposefully avoided crossing the threshold so far and instead decided to cripple both the Brutii and Scipii first by sending in a swarm of Spies and Assassins to cripple some of their Towns, hopefully inciting a revolt. With the Brutii holding more in Italy than the Scipii as well as having a few buffer Towns between me and the Scipii in Eastern Europe, I decided to focus on them first.

And that's where I got surprised. I managed to get Croton down to 15% Public Order (mostly by thrashing the Brutii treasury due to the demolitions I performed in their Towns), Tarentum was brought down to 65% due to its garrisoned forces slowly depleting (honestly, my plague-bearing Spy had nothing to do with that!) and both Aquincum and Segestica had no garrison at all - Segestica was left without defenders after I managed to assassinate the governor there - reducing both those Towns to a Public Order of like 50%~ish.

And that for four turns in a row, during which the Brutii only placed a garrison back in Segestica, but the other three Towns stuck at the low Public Order levels I just stated. Having no cash in its coffers, the Brutii couldn't rebuild the buildings I demolished anymore either, so it just doesn't have any means of crowd control anymore. Yet, despite being "in the red", none of those four Towns saw riots, let alone a full revolt.

Screenshot of this state of the game

I know cities can revolt against the Roman allies I have, because just a few turns before the above screenshot, the Scipii got kicked out of Vicus Marcomannii by a revolt (and I didn't even have anything to do with that). They had just managed to recapture it the turn before I made the screenshot.

Are some Towns simply hard-coded to never revolt when in the hands of the Roman faction AI's? I realise Rome is a special case where this would apply, but for the other factions too?

[This message has been edited by Maurice76 (edited 02-03-2017 @ 11:51 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 03 February 2017 12:09 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
The Lord AI works in mysterious ways. Rules that apply to us do not always apply to him, at least not with any consistency. It is more like whimsy.

What you have done is good. Sow instability and carnage among thy foes (and soon-to-be foes) using the Slayers of the Knives and the Slovenly Spies. Speakers of words can also help persuade named Family that thine is by far the better, and richer.

Sometimes, if the Lord AI is down and hurting, the whimsy allows him to keep what few cities he doth possess, be it 15% in Public Order, or as in my world, 0% public order, faces so red they appear purple, yet for season after season no revolt, whereas mine own burgs revolt the very instant Public Order drops below 71%. It is for this very reason I do indeed hold a ready reserve of onagers and heavy infantry in each group of provinces to quell any rebellion.

Now, when the Lord AI doth possess many cities and reeks of minted gold, then the revolts do appear to come sooner when the headknockers (garrison) let the public order descend.

I do believe they try to name this 'balance'. I call it blackhearted unfairness and smite my rebellious cities to make examples. Few revolt a second time until at least one generations has passed.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Maurice76
Legionary
posted 03 February 2017 17:06 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
Lol, well-written .

I guess it makes sense, seeing how few cities the Brutii yet have. Onward, my valiant eyes in the field and daggers in the night shall try and find blue backs to stab, to spread rumors about extortion and torture amongst their constituents, so that they may realise their error and instead follow the freedom that I provide them!
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 04 February 2017 00:14 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
As Terikel so eloquently put it, the game can be quite capricious in which towns revolt. Sometimes, simply bringing the town below 60% or so can have rioting in a turn and revolt the next. Others, a town can happily sit at 20% for years.

Another thing I've noticed is that if the temple in the town doesn't match the culture of the current owner, it's harder to make it revolt, and damaging the temple seems to have a lesser effect on the probability of it revolting.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Kawada Shogo
Legionary
posted 06 February 2017 07:43 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Honestly, I think it's simply not possible to incite revolts in Roman factions' cities. In the last Julii game I played I sent a tremendous number of spies and assassins to Brutii cities and they achieved absolutely nothing in terms of overthrowing Brutii rule. Based on my experience, I think you can cause revolts in the cities of any factions except Romans.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07 February 2017 10:53 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
I've caused revoltws in Roman Allied cities and towns.

Lots of times.

It was one of the few ways I could snatch cities from them before the Civil War.

It only worked when they had a lot of cities, though. When they had three or four, I could reduce Public order to 0% and they would still be jolly happy there.

*mumbles and grumbles*

In your next game, as the Civil war nears and your 'allies' conquer wide, try it on some of the cities outside fo Italia. Those seem protected, as you pointed out, but you can pick Greece from the Brutish Ones fairly quickly. And Spain, Carthage is always a pain in the ass. I once saw rebels kick Skippy out of Carthage without me even doing anything.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Kawada Shogo
Legionary
posted 08 February 2017 22:08 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
That's interesting. It was Greece where I was trying, unsuccessfully, to have my agents oust the Brutii. I must have had at least a dozen spies in each of their Greek towns. But you said it seems to only work when they have large empires. I'm generally pretty good at boxing the other Romans in, limiting the size of their empires. In my Julii games, the Brutii typically are only able to conquer Greece, sometimes only half of Greece, before I cut them off from further conquest. Perhaps that's why it wouldn't work for me.

By the way, Terikel, when I posted the other day I was about to reply to you on my thread about units committing suicide. But the thread was locked, even though it had only been two months since the last post. In view of how inactive the RTW forums have become, is there any way we could have the time limit extended to 6 months or a year or something (or, if I dare suggest such a thing, even abolished altogether)?
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 09 February 2017 12:33 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
I think, given the current activity, that we can extend the closure period to six months.

Necromancy is usually frowned upon.

Oh, by the way, any mod can open a thread for you. We just post in it and the timer resets.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames