You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » I'm now Struggling in my Greek Campaign
Bottom
Topic Subject:I'm now Struggling in my Greek Campaign
AiDok
Legionary
posted 19 May 2017 19:30 EDT (US)         
I'm starting to struggling now in my Greek campaign VH/VH difficulty in Darthmod Porvicial Campaign/The big map. Need some advice guys I'm lil bit confused.Year is 180BC holding all Greek settlements im in the border of Dacian territory and holding while I'm pushing in Italy and now starting to push Africa.already destroyed Brutii and I pushed Scipio in Africa. Am at the border of Rome.and julii keeps sending tons of full stock army 4-5 full army in Italy.While dacia keep on sending troops too.but I manage to cut it off by sending tons of spies and assassins to sabotage Dacia's Economy and barracks so I can hold lil bit more longer. Initially I'm facing 3 fronts Italy-Julii, Dacia-Dacian,Africa-Scipii. In the other hand Egypt almost conquered all Asia. The pharaoh is busy with Pontus and Seleucid Empire. Pontus only holding north of Asia/Turkey, while Seleucid Empire is Pushed in To the corner near India with 3-5 territory left.my pocket is running low I consumed tons of gold to my navy in order to support my war with Scipio and Julii.Should I hit Egypt in Asia 1st? Before the pharoah be free from Pontus and c hit me in my mainland.I think I can't hold it anymore if Egypt declare war with me. May Sea Trades will be cut off my Trades in my mainland. What's are the best troops against romans,Egyptians? Currently using Hopilites and Peltasts against roman depends in Phalanx Formation. But I have a small chance 30% of winning fighting romans in open field.I'm afraid when romans can recruit Urban Cohorts my hoplites will be massacred.can't send all Spartans vs romans its hard to retrain them cause I can only retrain Spantans in Sparta.

My map

----------END----------

[This message has been edited by AiDok (edited 05-20-2017 @ 07:30 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 20 May 2017 11:58 EDT (US)     1 / 11       
The Julii appear to have only a few cities. They will run out of money and troops soon. You should be able to break them once the supply runs out.

Urbans require the Marian Reforms, and that requires an Imperial Palace in Italy. Imperial Palaces require A Huge City. If the Julii are sending huge waves of men at you, they are emptying their few cities of people (depending on your scale- I play exclusively on HUGE, anything less feels like Rome:Total Skirmish). If they are emptying their city to field armies, those cities should not be growing to allow the Imperial Palace. I see from your map Skippy and Brutus are already thrown out of Italy.

The Spartan retraining problem is why I don't use Spartans. Or First Cohorts. And why I build Temples to Wotan and Donar wherever I send my hordes. As the Romans, I never sent Legionaries into the wilds of Germania. Early legionaries only- they can retrain there and bring their marvelous chevrons with them.

You appear to be in a good position, straegically. Almost all of Italia is yours, all of Greece already is. You have population and wealth flowing in.

My advice:
Weather the Julii storm then stomp them. Lots of good real estate and population in Italia, and easy to defend- three passes, two of which are west of Mediolanium.

Hold onto Carthage and Thapsis, with large stacks of good troops, and use them to relieve the other. Forget about the rest of North Africa for the moment. This is a holding action ehre.

Worry about Pharaoh. Egypt's masses are fecund and Pharoah's pockets are deep. I have never seen Egypt not stop until they run into my armies. Good ideas? Big navies with lots of transports. Let Pharaoh send his minions flooding into Anatolia, then sail your armies and sweep the Nile.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
AiDok
Legionary
posted 20 May 2017 17:36 EDT (US)     2 / 11       
The romans are now recruiting Urban Cohorts. Its hard to break through Rome atm, the settlement is full stack and their bunch of battalion around waiting for ambush.my only tactic in Africa in order to gain lands a surprise attack from the sea with siege equipments 2 heavy siege equipments and full army ready to hold a city. I really have a small chance if meeting with romans in open field.Except if I have elephants.I have a that can break roman line.I'm planning to attack Egypt now. Stacking armies to attack Egyptian coast line in one blow in I won't give the Pharaohs chance to build navy to block my sea trades.cause I think I don't have a chance if Egypt is free from Pontus,regarding julii I mange to sabotage some of their barracks and economy. In few turns they don't have any gold to train troops.and I think as Spaniards are also at war with them.

THIS Just happens when i offer map information trade

Im now F*cked up need to ready for war in Asia

----------END----------

[This message has been edited by AiDok (edited 05-21-2017 @ 08:55 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 22 May 2017 12:02 EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Pharaoh can send his hordes at you from Greece, and again around Sarmatia.

The Julii are providing a plug against the Spanish, but that will not last long, not when they are swamping YOU with stacks.

My advice still stands. Knock out the Julii while forting up North Africa, and prepare a large navy to drop 4-5 full stacks on the Nile once Pharaoh's men reach you.

Knocking out the Julii means enemies attacking have to come through the two mountain passes, or along the coast. A good sized army in North Italia, with a supporting army of replacements nearby, should hold your northern flank easily.

Jack up taxes as high as you can get them and pump out troops. You will need them against Pharaoh.

Pharaoh's power is the Nile. You need to take and hold that, and maybe the Levant as well. This leaves him precious few places to produce or retrain his best troops.

Good luck.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
AiDok
Legionary
posted 22 May 2017 18:45 EDT (US)     4 / 11       
I have two plans

1)Attack Egypt in Turkey and send massive armada in Mediterranean to crush any Egyptian navy while blocking the ports and capture salamis and use its port to retrain my navy. I can start this plan in just 5 turns.

2)Stack massive army to attack all/Most of Egypt in Mediterranean coastal settlement.I can start this in 10-15 turn.which is a flip of a coin plan cause I don't think Pontus can hold that long

While I'm holding and pushing slow in Africa and Italy.I think julii is now trying to hold on against Spain.can't easily attack Rome it well cause tons of troops that is equivalent to my Egyptian invasion. Its better to hit Egypt than Rome cause Egypt troops are scattered around asia unlike Rome 4-5 full stack experienced troops near Rome itself.

Any tips of unit types against Egypt? Its been I while I fighting Egypt it was 5-7 years ago.and my previous campaign still Greek and I lost fighting 4 front. The forth front is vs egypt. Egypt betrayed me and hit my sea trades.and send massive invasion in my mainland that campaign is VH/VH difficulty also.BTW I'm planning to use elephants vs egypt.where in Asia/Turkey I can hire elephants? I heard Seleucid Empire can train elephants since most of turkey settlements are Seleucid settlement there should be settlements that can allow me to hire.can I retrain that elephant where I hired them?

Thanks.

----------END----------

[This message has been edited by AiDok (edited 05-22-2017 @ 06:48 PM).]

Dagovax
Legionary
posted 23 May 2017 16:35 EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Egypt is mostly using weak nubian spearman (along with mile spearman). Those units can easily be defeated by your Armoured Hoplites. However, the Pharaoh is using a lot of missiles too, along with that irritating Chariot Archers.

My advice:

Have a good frontline with Hoplites. Use your archers as the second line (skirmishers are not that usefull against their spearman), with cavalry at the flanks.

Use your cavalry to strike down the chariots (use cheap cavalry: the chariots are easy to kill with light cavalry.
Kawada Shogo
Legionary
posted 14 June 2017 17:09 EDT (US)     6 / 11       
I have two plans

1)Attack Egypt in Turkey and send massive armada in Mediterranean to crush any Egyptian navy while blocking the ports and capture salamis and use its port to retrain my navy. I can start this plan in just 5 turns.

2)Stack massive army to attack all/Most of Egypt in Mediterranean coastal settlement.I can start this in 10-15 turn.which is a flip of a coin plan cause I don't think Pontus can hold that long
The best way is to sail straight to the heart of Egypt. Alexandria, Memphis and Thebes. The Nile region is an inexhaustible source of manpower for armies and wealth to pay for them. Take the Nile and you greatly weaken Egypt. If you go with your first option and try going to Egypt by way of Anatolia, it's just going to be a long hard slog while the Pharaoh sends endless hordes of spearmen flowing from the Egyptian homeland. Army after army after army. Take the Nile and you significantly reduce Egypt's ability to generate whole armies, making the rest of the war a little easier and faster.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 16 June 2017 13:14 EDT (US)     7 / 11       
I have mentioned the Nile Sweep several times.

Now you echo the idea.

This is good. Great minds do think alike!

ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 18 June 2017 03:07 EDT (US)     8 / 11       
All good advice. Egypt will spam full stacks at you if you attack through Turkey, they'll build them just as quick as you can destroy them. Although as the Greeks I wouldn't be too concerned about that, Armoured Hoplites should be able to grind their way through just about anything they can field without too much bother.

Still the best way to do it is to destroy the Egyptian Navy, blockade all their ports and they'll run out of money and won't be able to replace what you've killed. You can then seize the Nile and move your way North.

My standard Greek army has a general, onager, two cavalry, one cretan and two normal archers, and everything else is armoured hoplites. If you fight them in the open you'll find Egyptian troops form a very long line and you'll be outflanked. Don't try to match them, just form a horseshoe with your hoplites with a couple of reserves at the back. Nothing will get through. Ideally though, fight them in their cities and you'll cover the narrow streets with offal.
AiDok
Legionary
posted 19 June 2017 07:54 EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Successfully invaded Egypt. No resistance in 10 turns. I'm just curious what Egypt is doing. So I use the Fow then I seen most of Egypt Army from the north in Pontus Area.I didn't fight them in open Field only in Cities. But the sad thing happened in the invasion is my 5 FM direct male decendant of the 1st King died in plague while inside the ship on their way to Alexandria From Rhodes. I didn't noticed there was a Plague in Rhodes and they are all Plague bearer on their way to Alexandria. Now I'm starting Julii Campaign Vh/VH and added a money boost for Carthage 80,000 , Gual 20,000 , Macedonia and Greece 25,000. I also Added more H infantry, and Elephants for Carthaginian army in Sicily. And Added Back the collusus of Rhodes for Greek Naval trade boost. (Darth Removed it in his mod but I put it back 😆 ) So that Brutii and Scipii have a rough time battle with them.Cause I know Roman Army are superior to their armies and I always seen this Factions kicked by Romans all of my campaigns.

----------END----------

[This message has been edited by AiDok (edited 06-19-2017 @ 07:55 AM).]

ShieldWall
Legionary
posted 20 June 2017 03:52 EDT (US)     10 / 11       
It does happen that you meet no resistance because everyone is in the far north and don't have the sense to turn back. It is unusual to lose that many to plague though, normally most survive it.
AiDok
Legionary
posted 20 June 2017 06:16 EDT (US)     11 / 11       
They are on their way. They are late 3-4 turns before I capture eastern coastal settlement in turkey. And for the plague, the plague bearer is only one the one from Rhodes and the other 4 FM from Greek mainland without plague when the Plague bearer aborded the ship he spread the plague. And yah your FM have big chance to survive a plague inside a city with health bonus. But when in the ship you they have big chances to die.I noticed the plague at the middle sea of Alexandria, Rhodes and Salaris.

----------END----------

[This message has been edited by AiDok (edited 06-20-2017 @ 06:20 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames