You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » Titles For Roman Generals
Bottom
Topic Subject:Titles For Roman Generals
AiDok
Legionary
posted 23 June 2017 10:16 EDT (US)         
I read here before about Roman name with Africanus and that Germanus I think. I'm wondiring how to get that title? Any one can help me. I tried to look for the topic but I cannot find it anymore. BTW what other titles like africanus can a roman general get. Only that two?

----------END----------
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 23 June 2017 11:07 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
In real life, the Roman general took the name of the province/area/tribe he conquered and added -icus or -anus to the end.

Thus Numidicus conquered Numidia, Germanicus defeated the Germans, Africanus gained Africa, Gallicus defeated a Gallic tribe, etc.

Spartacus was another matter- that was an -acus, and not an -icus.

I am relatively sure the game generates the names from a list, and not through the conquering of provinces. The list contained the cognomen of a score or so real-life generals.

Some combinations can be thrilling, like having a gaius Julius gain the name Caesar, while others are hilarious, like Alexander Alexander. (I really saw that!)

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Kawada Shogo
Legionary
posted 24 June 2017 22:57 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Spartacus was another matter- that was an -acus, and not an -icus.
Also Spartacus wasn't Roman and his name wasn't Latin, so it only coincidentally sounds similar. He was originally from Thrace before he was enslaved. Apparently the name Spartacus, or variations of it, wasn't uncommon in the Greek-influenced regions around the Black Sea. In his native language it would have been "Sparadakos".

[This message has been edited by Kawada Shogo (edited 06-25-2017 @ 11:36 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 26 June 2017 10:42 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
I thought he was a Thracian slave or auxiliary sentenced to slavery, and Batiatus (the series got that right) gave him that name.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Kawada Shogo
Legionary
posted 26 June 2017 13:46 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
It might be that Batiatus Latinized his name, but chances are he already had it. Apparently there were several Thracian and Pontic kings that had the same name ("Spartakos" or "Sparadakos" or other variations). The book I have about him ("The Spartacus War" by Barry Strauss) doesn't mention Batiatus giving him the name or suggest the possibility. When he was sentenced to slavery he was a grown man, since he was a former auxiliary as you said, so it's likely that he kept the name he already had.

Of course we can't know with absolute certainty, since this was so long ago and little of Spartacus's life is known for certain. But I think the evidence points to him having it as a Thracian name before he was enslaved.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 28 June 2017 10:51 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Good to know. Thanks!

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames