You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » unit wish list, and unit removal wishlist
Bottom
Topic Subject:unit wish list, and unit removal wishlist
hano
Legionary
posted 30 December 2004 19:40 EDT (US)         
I know some of these units are not in the timeframe of the game, but they are damn close, so here are the units I wish to see added in Rome Total War, maybe in an expansion:-

1) Theban Sacred Band: The original sacred band of 300 men, tougher even than the spartans, all perished fighting Philip of Macedon.

2)Theban Cavalry: Thebes was probably the only greek city that used cavalry regurarly (due to terrains).

3) Persian Immortals: Pre-Macedonian invasion, the elites of the Persian military,they never die, or at least they fight to the death.

4) Gaulish swordsmen for Carthage, just like in reality mod.

5) Allies Cavalry for the Romans.

--------------------------

Units I would like removed from the game: due to being unhistorical or just outragous.

1) Arcani 2)
screeching women
3)all kinds of dogs.
4) Roman Legionary Cavalry and Pretorian Cavalry, (The romans sucked in Cavalry, their strength was in infantry).
5) head hurlers, remove them and put head farters instead, that would be better, who thought of this shit anyways.
---------
Note: new Civ that would fit in an expansion would be Sassanid Persians, and add their Cabrini units and chained levies.

AuthorReplies:
eschae
Legionary
posted 31 December 2004 08:42 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
I agree on most, but still, some things you propose seem wrong to me:

- If the romans had allied cavalry in the game, they would have horse archers and cataphracts, which were actually part of a typical late roman empire army. Unbalancing, don't you think?

- carthage armies were made of merecenaries for most part, and you can hire mercenaries. And it's all there is to it. Although, I agree that you should be able to hire a greater variety of mercenaries, especially in the vicinity of Carthage.

- You speak of arcani, why not of druids 9I don't think they fought) or naked fanatics (in every barbarian culture?) or berserkers (right...)? They add to the fun of the game.

- Legionary cavalry did exist and was used during the time span (-300 to 50) of the game.

Captain Griffen
Legionary
posted 31 December 2004 09:05 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
I'd like to see arcani turned into more of a kind of spy/assassin, able to assassinate enemies (say, sneak into camps and murder a unit of infantry while they sleep).

Legionary cavalry are all right, and they existed, but Praetorians are not, I agree there.

Screeching women...bah, a bit of fun. And they sometimes did go and support their husbands.

Dogs were probably used...but not by the Romans.

I mean, those forester warbands? Don't you think some of them found dogs usefull in battle?

And quit the 'unhistorical' crap. THIS IS A GAME!

Gadz13
Legionary
posted 31 December 2004 10:07 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
Ya But imagine the Romans without Praetorians or Legionary's. THere best infantry would be like Hastati or Principes, and then Town watch. Rome needs Praetorians and Legionaries to balance its army out with the rest of the world.
maugan_ra
Legionary
posted 31 December 2004 11:14 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
But why should Rome be balanced? A Roman commander should make due with their superior infantry, like real Romans did.

[This message has been edited by maugan_ra (edited 12-31-2004 @ 11:14 AM).]

maugan_ra
Legionary
posted 31 December 2004 11:18 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
I broadly agree!

- Theban Sacred Band: what could possibly be wrong with a horde of homosexual warriors? I'd feel right at home commanding these guys

- Theban Cavalry: Agreed, and Greece is severely handicapped without decent cavalry.

- Immortals: perhaps, with a new faction of Persia. But, the Immortals were given their name not because they were fantastic warriors but that the Great Kings always saw to it that their ranks where constantly replenished.

- Gaullish swordsmen: Agreed, Carthage made good use of Heavy Swordsmen, Phalanx's were not her main weapon of war.

- Allied Cavalry: There should be mercenary cavalry available in the areas surrounding Rome, but these shouldn't be added to the Roman tech-tree.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames