You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies, Closed
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Sepia Joust I- Voting and Results
Bottom
Topic Subject:Sepia Joust I- Voting and Results
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 27 April 2009 04:53 EDT (US)         
The Joust is over.

Broken quills and spilled sepia stain the field of honor, yet the proud entrants and their sponsors stand tall by the sidelines of the sawdust awaiting the outcome, which will be announced here.

The Voting Rules are simple. They are three:

Only those who dared enter these lists with quill and sepia have earned the right to have their voice heard.

No entrant may vote for himself/herself, but he/she must vote.

The vote of a member of the Guild of the Skalds counts twice, should he/she so desire.

Thus, the voting may now begin, followed by the tallying and the results.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 04-28-2009 @ 01:35 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 27 April 2009 05:03 EDT (US)     1 / 10       
My vote goes to DU- he wrote an outstanding piece summarizing the labyrinthian intrigues and bold actions of the Kings of Pontus, from its relatively late inception to its utter demise.

There were a few grammatical mistakes towards the end, though:

"After his death his son Darius" maybe should read:
"After his death, his son Darius"

"they endured their Asian subjects to them" I feel would be better as:
" they endeared their Asian subjects to them"

" Perhaps if they had commanded men and resources comparably to what the Seleucid"-comparably to comparable like so:

" Perhaps if they had commanded men and resources comparable to what the Seleucid"

And this "Pharnaces broke the peace treaty and conquered Colchis and parts of Armenia with an overwhelming. "- missing a word at the end of the sentence. An overwhelming victory, or an overwhelming army?

Aside from those small grammatical errors, it was a very enjoyable piece and well-researched. It fulfilled all requisite criteria handily and easily. Thus it is a worthy recipient of my vote, which counts twice as I am a member of the Guild of the Skalds.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 28 April 2009 12:36 EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Only those who dared enter these lists with quill and sepia have earned the right to have their voice heard.
Um, if that means I can't vote, then disregard my post.

My vote, should it count, is for Terikel Grayhair. Why? Because it is well-written, and from a perspective of a person. The use of farsight also worked well, and I congratulate him on shaping such a work in the unusual framework.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 28 April 2009 13:39 EDT (US)     3 / 10       
I have no objections to letting your vote count, but any rule change with regard to voting should be agreed-upon by all the participants.

Seeing as how there are only two participants, and my opponent would automatically win (Skald two-vote rule, must vote, and no voting for oneself), I would dearly love to open the voting field to those who stood by the sidelines in order to put some spice into the contest.

But I cannot do so alone- Dom Ultimus as the other contestant must agree as well.

So the decision is yours, Dom- just our two votes, or do we open it to all since there are only two of us?
DominicusUltimus
Legate
posted 28 April 2009 13:56 EDT (US)     4 / 10       
I have no objections to opening the vote of this great contest to our comrades in sword and quill great Terikel, for their would be no honor or glory defeating you in this duel by technicality rather than by skill with our favored arms of the mind and and swift hand.

My vote goes without saying to you great Terikel, not simply because I have no choice but to vote for you but because in my heart I feel your work is far superior to mine. Your tale written as the last will and testament of a Thracian father to his son warmed both my heart and enthralled my mind, as it evoked both my sympathy for these people and helped me to learn more about their glories of old.

As for my own contribution I must confess that it was not my best. The cruel overlords that I obey in my land have had me work long and hard without respite, and any moments I do have to rest my weary body I must dedicate to my lover who is far too good for one such as I. For the next joust I swear I shall put forth an effort worthy of such an honor as facing you and our comrades once again.

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 29 April 2009 01:38 EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Well said, Noble Dom.

Okay, folks, all entrants agree. The polls are now open to the public, and shall remain open for a week (say around 5 May)

The score is currently 2-2.
Hussarknight
Seraph Emeritus
posted 01 May 2009 08:07 EDT (US)     6 / 10       
Both pieces are very good, giving an excellent outline of the history of Thrace and Pontus respectivily. My vote however goes to DominicusUltus's piece, as I like it slightly more. Terikel's piece is a very close second, though.

Hussarknight
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 02 May 2009 07:25 EDT (US)     7 / 10       
Three more days. Those who wish to have their say, do it now.
CaesarVincens
Legionary
posted 02 May 2009 18:21 EDT (US)     8 / 10       
After reading two very good brief histories, I have a hard choice between Terikel's Thracian letter, and Dominicus's excellent piece on the kings and history of Pontus.

I must in the end go with Terikel's writing though, while both are well written, Terikel's piece is the more engaging of the two. Additionally, though I realize Dominicus did not have the time he wished to write, I feel he could have taken the time for one last proofread his excellent history

So, my vote goes to Terikel's A Thracian's letter to his son.

I hope there will be more of these contests with more participants (perhaps myself, if the genre is right) in the future.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kŠn ɹid ­ɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
Selifator
Legionary
posted 04 May 2009 15:10 EDT (US)     9 / 10       
I've read both pieces, and after some thinking I'm going with Terikel. The reason is that though Dominicus gives a clearer overview of the kings, Terikel gives us a broad insight in the Thracians, while Dominicus only provides information about the kings, and neglects just about every other part of Pontus.
That said, I found Terikel's piece somewhat unclear at times, due to the narrative, but it still felt better than Dominicus' piece.

That said, both articles are very well written, and I'm fired up to participate in round two (if that is possible).

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

Chauvinism is not a particularly nice trait at the best of times but can be suicidal when the person your talking too can have you executed on a whim.

Facebook, anyone?
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 07 May 2009 02:58 EDT (US)     10 / 10       
Voting is now closed.

The tallies:

Dominicus Ultimus:
II- from Terikel (Master Skald of the Guild)
I- Hussarknight

total: III

Terikel Grayhair:
I- DominicusUltimus
I- Enemy of Jupitor
I- CaesarVincens
I- Selifator

total: IV

So, in a close and honorable race covered in glory and noble elegance, ancient Terikel Grayhair edged past the young and challenging Lord DominicusUltimus to snatch the laurels of victory.

Well played, both contestants. And thanks to those of the Public who helped decide the contest.

A new Sepia Joust will be announced shortly, opening with Genre Selection and a tentative submission date for the end of August. That should give most contestants plenty of time to prepare their entrants.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 05-08-2009 @ 08:38 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames