You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.29 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Sepia Joust II - The Memoirs of...
Bottom
Topic Subject:Sepia Joust II - The Memoirs of...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 13 May 2009 04:55 EDT (US)         
The Sepia Jousts continue with Joust II- the Memoirs.

Genre: Diary / Journal / Memoirs
Target Length: Any
Submission Date: on or about 31 August 2009
Submission Place: Sepia Joust II Submission Thread

Special Instructions: Entrants will be the Memoirs / Diary / Journal of someone somewhere sometime in the distant past that sheds light on a specific and notable event.

They need not be the diary of a famous person themselves, but must be of someone close to the famous person so as to detail the motives and thoughts of the famous/infamous person doing whatever it was that made him/her famous/infamous.

Examples: Varro at Cannae, Vercingetorix's brother at Alesia, Vindex in 68, Spartacus dealing with the Messanine Pirates, The slave of Crassus at Carrhae, Lucullus at Tigranocerta, etc. Be creative.

Voting criteria: Voters will consider grammar, historical accuracy, enthusiasm shown in the writing, and interest generated during its read as well as the general feel of the piece.

Voting Rules are simple- only those entering pieces may vote, entrants are required to vote, and entrants may not vote for themselves. If three or less people enter, then Voting may be opened to the Public. The vote of a member of the Guild of the Skalds counts twice, should he/she so desire- very useful in deciding ties.

Voting occurs in its own thread after the Submissions thread is locked.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 06-12-2009 @ 05:01 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 05 July 2009 07:26 EDT (US)     1 / 29       
My AAR should be done by then, and I can write up a piece when I don't have access to a computer then type it up when I do. I shall almost certainly participate.

Just wondering...

Would winning give any special bonusses? Entry to the Guild of Skalds, the equivalent of an article counting towards a custom title...?

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 05 July 2009 07:44 EDT (US)     2 / 29       
Sorry, winning the Joust is its own reward. And the prestige of victory in a tough contest.

You do get bragging rights, however, as Champion of the Joust.

See my sig.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 14 July 2009 10:46 EDT (US)     3 / 29       
Bragging rights sounds good to me. I'd better get scribbling... Something on [text removed in case I give rivals ideas ] ...

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 07-14-2009 @ 10:47 AM).]

Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 14 July 2009 19:20 EDT (US)     4 / 29       
I'll probably give this one a go, the previous Joust didn't really interest me.

Need to start looking into an event...

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 21 July 2009 11:48 EDT (US)     5 / 29       
A quick question...

I've already written a story (a bit of editing still to do, not to mention typing up): could anyone tell me when and where to submit, unless it's going to be glaringly obvious?

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 21 July 2009 11:51 EDT (US)     6 / 29       
It will be glaringly obvious.

Nilis anxietas.

Somewhere around the end of Augustus I will post the Submissions Thread.

Post your tale on that. Afterwards comes the voting thread, where those entering vote for who they think won.

Andalus
Legionary
posted 23 July 2009 13:39 EDT (US)     7 / 29       
This could be perfect for an idea I've had for a while.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 30 July 2009 08:50 EDT (US)     8 / 29       
Reminder!

One month (or so) until the Submission Thread opens.

It will probably remain open for two weeks before the Scroll of Decision (voting thread) will be nailed to the Forum rostra.

Good luck, and may thy quill never spill its ink except where thou will.

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 09-01-2009 @ 03:21 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 24 August 2009 07:42 EDT (US)     9 / 29       
Reminder!

One week until Submissions Thread opens.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 31 August 2009 05:28 EDT (US)     10 / 29       
The Submissions Thread for this Joust is now open.

That thread is for Submissions only.

Any other words you feel need to be put on screen that are not a Submission are to be placed upon this scroll.

Submissions will remain open for two weeks then close so that we can put up the Voting Thread.

Good luck to all.

Selifator
Legionary
posted 01 September 2009 05:45 EDT (US)     11 / 29       
Damn, I'd better come up with something quickly if I want to participate.

You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

Chauvinism is not a particularly nice trait at the best of times but can be suicidal when the person your talking too can have you executed on a whim.

Facebook, anyone?
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 01 September 2009 06:07 EDT (US)     12 / 29       
You can't say there was not enough warning and time given...
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 03 September 2009 02:42 EDT (US)     13 / 29       
The Scroll of Submissions has been opened and nailed to the rostra.

One entry has already been posted.

Shall he win by default? There is but one way to prevent this- enter thine own contestant!

Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 03 September 2009 13:08 EDT (US)     14 / 29       
Just what I've done, Lord Terikel the Old. You're still going to win - but not by default.

I have a few notes to make on my account that I thought were best placed here instead of in the Submissions Thread.

--------------------

Historical Notes:
  • Which legions were stationed at Atuatuca is not known. Drawing on my own knowledge and the speculation of the more learned, I have used the VIII and the XIV, but bear in mind that these could easily be wrong. It is also unlikely that the VIII Legion was quite such a raw recruit as I have it here.
  • Caesar states that the battle lasted for a whole day, not just the morning as I have implied - unintentionally, if so.
  • The exact date of the Battle of Atuatuca is unknown. Caesar says that about fifteen days after the troops had settled into their Winter quarters, Ambiorix attacked them. It was probably in January 53BC, but possibly December of the previous year. As the new consuls would only take office in March, the first month of the Roman year, by the Roman reckoning January 53BC is still the consulship of Lucius Domitius and Appius Claudius - even though they were the consuls for 54BC.
  • Both Titus Fabius "Sparrow" ("Passer") and his ex-prostitute girlfriend Flaminia are fictional. All the other characters - Cotta, Ambiorix, and Sabinus being the most important - are historical, although unimportant to the roamnce between the two lovers.

References:
  • Caesar - The Conquest of Gaul. Translation by S. A. Handford.

--------------------

That's all. Thank you.

EDIT: Terikel, if the style of my story (i.e. the notes from a translator from a later age) is in any way similar to yours, it is coincidental. I had not read your story by the time I finished re-writing and typing up this tale.

EDORIX
    ~ ancient briton ~

/\
    /|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 09-03-2009 @ 01:10 PM).]

• Terikel Grayhair
    Imperator
    posted 04 September 2009 03:06 EDT (US)     15 / 29       
    They were eerily similar- both accounts being discovered at a later age, and both involving Gauls trashing Romans.

However, I do agree that these similarities- though eerie!- are purely coincidental. My account was actually written three months ago and polished since then, while the detail and research in yours must have taken longer than the few days my entry was posted.

So nilis anxietas.

Yours is quite clever, I might add. I enjoyed reading it.

Andalus
    Legionary
    posted 04 September 2009 16:40 EDT (US)     16 / 29       
    Arg, need to finish mine quickly.
    Terikel Grayhair
    Imperator
    posted 05 September 2009 04:20 EDT (US)     17 / 29       
    You have a week and a day, Valiant Ankalus. Get cracking.

Submissions close on Monday, 14 September, two weeks after opening as stated in the Joust Announcement.

More entires would be nice. We do recall certain others stating their desire to enter this Joust, yet we have seen neither hide nor hair of these worthies since.
    Edorix
    High King of Britain
    posted 05 September 2009 12:33 EDT (US)     18 / 29       
    Yours is quite clever, I might add. I enjoyed reading it.
    Thank you; I don't know why you might say that, but it's nice of you, all the same.

It would be a bit boring if nobody else entered somethign in time. Would you extend the time window if someone said they just needed a little more time?

EDORIX
    ~ ancient briton ~

/\
    /|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
    Terikel Grayhair
    Imperator
    posted 07 September 2009 05:16 EDT (US)     19 / 29       
    Reminder!

One week (that is seven days) until Submissions close.

Lord Edorix- this scroll has been open since the time of flowers blooming in the northern hemisphere, directly after the early rains but before the full strength of the sun warms our bodies enough to see scantily-clad women dancing on the streets. There have been many reminders and the like posted (see above) so there has been plenty of time, and plenty of reminders.

So, unfortunately, no extra time will be allotted. However, if a budding author posts here saying they need an extra day, we in our grace shall grant that one day- but no longer. Then they may try their hand at the next Joust in a few moons from the end of this one.

Edorix
    High King of Britain
    posted 11 September 2009 15:28 EDT (US)     20 / 29       
    With only three days left, I'm beginning to feel a little nervous...

Don't leave me to face the Grand Masterskald by myself!

EDORIX
    ~ ancient briton ~

/\
    /|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
    Terikel Grayhair
    Imperator
    posted 13 September 2009 11:11 EDT (US)     21 / 29       
    Tomorrow the Joust closes, and the voting shall begin on Tuesday.

If there are three or less entrants, then voting shall be opened to the Public. Voting closes two weeks after opening.
    Terikel Grayhair
    Imperator
    posted 14 September 2009 02:09 EDT (US)     22 / 29       
    The Jousts close tonight at midnight, anywhere time.

If you have an piece, enter it now!

Voting opens tomorrow, when the Submissions end.
    Andalus
    Legionary
    posted 14 September 2009 14:36 EDT (US)     23 / 29       
    I'd hoped to be able to finish my piece in time, but I've been too busy with sorting things out for Uni that I have not managed to do so. Ah well, never mind.
    Terikel Grayhair
    Imperator
    posted 15 September 2009 01:46 EDT (US)     24 / 29       
    There will always be another Joust, Lord Ankalus.

This one is now closed.

Since there were but two entries, Voting will be open to the public, upon the Scroll of Decision.

The Scroll of Decision shall open today and remain open through the course of a fortnight.

Edorix
    High King of Britain
    posted 15 September 2009 10:50 EDT (US)     25 / 29       
    As a member of the Guild of the Skalds (albeit an apprentice), my vote counts twice if I want it to, right?

And can I vote for myself?

EDORIX
    ~ ancient briton ~

/\
    /|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames