You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Multiplayer Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies, Sticky
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Multiplayer Discussion » Multiplayer Quick Question Thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:Multiplayer Quick Question Thread
Nickel531
Legionary
posted 01 September 2010 17:28 EDT (US)         
Ok the main point of this thread is to hopefully reduce future clutter, and to ask a question of mine. Hopefully other people will use it and stop spamming all these topics. But here is my question.
How does one "see" what the enemies upgrades are? I have noticed that in a lot of videos, the people look at the enemy units, and can somewhat tell what upgrades they have. Hope someone a experenced could answer. Even though I have been playing for a month, I still haven't figured it out.
Hopefully this will reduce clutter AND answer my question.

In war, you ethier die hero, or live long enough to see yourself turn into a villan.-Anoynomous
AuthorReplies:
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 02 September 2010 00:45 EDT (US)     1 / 15       
It depends on which side of the main flag there are little squares. One side means defense upgrades, the other attack. That's all I've figured out

Someone else will probably have figured it out.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 02 September 2010 02:45 EDT (US)     2 / 15       
I think the ones on the unit's right (from its point of view) are weapons upgrades and the ones on its left are armour upgrades, but I don't know where experience comes into it.

We already have a newbie FAQ here, albeit for singleplayer - people just never use it. I don't really want to have too many stickies in this forum though as it gets even more cluttered - both ugly and counterproductive as then everyone ignores all of them. Still this is a good idea. I'll spend some thought upon it.

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Nickel531
Legionary
posted 02 September 2010 07:16 EDT (US)     3 / 15       
Hopefully it works

In war, you ethier die hero, or live long enough to see yourself turn into a villan.-Anoynomous
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 02 September 2010 07:21 EDT (US)     4 / 15       
Good idea, but I don't think it a sticky worthy (we have 6 already) quite yet.

Let's see how active it gets/stays before we make that decision.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Nickel531
Legionary
posted 03 September 2010 07:23 EDT (US)     5 / 15       
Hopefully people will answer here...
And as for my question, thanks guys. I checked it out on an online battle for my guys and it matches up.

Spartield
Legionary
posted 14 September 2010 03:59 EDT (US)     6 / 15       
My noob question: how do i use the phalanx well?

My favorite Faction is the Seleucid Empire and i know that most of my defeats are do to the fact i cant use my silver shield pikemen (favorite unit) phalanx to the best of my ability

Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
-The "art of war" by Sun Tzu
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 14 September 2010 04:39 EDT (US)     7 / 15       
Put the pointy end toward the enemy, and keep your flanks and rear (the not-pointy sides) covered to prevent the enemy from getting at them.

That's Phalanx 101, the beginners course.

Phalanx 202, the advanced course, is coming soon.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Spartield
Legionary
posted 14 September 2010 04:45 EDT (US)     8 / 15       
thanx for the 101, but i hope that 202 will tell me how to get the enemy to get charge the pointy sticks.

Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 14 September 2010 07:16 EDT (US)     9 / 15       
See here, just for you.

Spartield
Legionary
posted 14 September 2010 15:47 EDT (US)     10 / 15       
That was all i needed. thank you

Nickel531
Legionary
posted 15 September 2010 08:02 EDT (US)     11 / 15       
Don't know if this is too late, but the silvershield legionarres act as very good hypasts. The macedoneans used these as flank guards, and would hold up or destroy any flanking movement until the infantry fight was done.

Spartield
Legionary
posted 15 September 2010 16:03 EDT (US)     12 / 15       
i'll have to try that.

Mrbrightside098
Legionary
posted 23 November 2011 17:12 EDT (US)     13 / 15       
if you have a short phalanx and are facing someone with a longer phalanx, your screwed. Or you could attack your phalanx to the long phalanx as long as you turn guard mode off first. If guard mode is off and you have even a slight advantage in stats, they should crumble before your sight.
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 24 November 2011 19:48 EDT (US)     14 / 15       
Normally long phalanx (pike units) have worse stats than short phalanx (hoplite) units. Just because the long phalanx is longer, that doesn't mean that the short phalanx units are not able to attack the long pikemen. They somehow still find a way to attack them, even though they have shorter reach.

Hoplites also have more armor than pikemen, though pikemen have more men. But generally: hoplites > pikemen.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
Victor Vibius
Legionary
posted 25 February 2012 22:49 EDT (US)     15 / 15       
I have been playing rome since i was like 12-13 i am 16. And for the love of the gods, i can only get used copies of rome total war and i can not play online!!! I rage so hard!!!!! It says wrong cd-code or something crazy. Any advice?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames