You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Total War History
Moderated by Pitt

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.12 replies, Sticky
Total War Heaven » Forums » Total War History » Read this first - An intro to this forum
Bottom
Topic Subject:Read this first - An intro to this forum
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 13 February 2007 07:53 EDT (US)         
Welcome to Total War Heaven's History Forum!

As you might guess from the name, fans of the Total War games come here to talk about the history of the periods the games [and major mods] are set in. This means the scope for discussion is vast and includes the period stretching from ancient history to about 1900, and therefore including the middle ages, the early gunpowder period, the revolutionary period, Napoleon, and the American Civl War.

The general rule of thumb is that if it's after the Boer War, we move it to the Red Lion Tavern, as this is moving well beyond the remit of the Total War games and the mods released for them, so please don't start World War threads here.
Please also try to refrain from talking about current affairs and/or their relation to history. Threads like that will be moved to the Tavern.

Because this thread grew from Rome Total War Heaven, there are a lot of forumers interested and knowledgeable about the classics. Please don't take this to mean that threads about other periods/nations are unwelcome. Why not start a thread on the Aztecs yourself? This forum is only as good as you make it!

We have a mixture of "serious" and "fun" threads here. There are a number of history college/university students or ex-students here as well as enthusiastic amateurs so the discussion goes from full-on quoting and dissecting of historians to exchanging fun anecdotes about witty historical figures. We only ask that you try to not put "fun" posts in "serious" threads and vice versa. It can be a little frustrating for a thread maker to see his or her thread become very flippant/academic when their intention was a little different.
If you want to mark your thread as either "fun" or "serious", feel free to mention that in your OP (that's the post you make when you create the thread). You don't have to but it can help if you want to target your thread at a particular audience, though the intent of most threads will be obvious enough from the tone of the title post.

Please use the search function down the bottom of the thread list page, or just check posts that have been made in the last 30 days. You may be bringing up something that was discussed very recently and variety is the spice of life. If a topic's been done to death already, we might even close your topic and refer you to a recent one on the same subject.

Please follow the CoC. That means no spamming, flaming or personal attacks. Things can get a little heated sometimes but as long as you just debate the facts and sources, nobody has a major problem. Telling somebody that their source is wrong is fine, but calling somebody an idiot is not. Please try to refrain from using too heated a tone in your posts.
Also remember that if you don't have anything useful to say in a thread, please leave it alone for people who do.
If you do have an issue with the conduct of another forumers, please don't respond on the forums. We'd much prefer if you emailed the mods, namely Pitt, and we'll look into it from there. Our email addresses are in our profiles.

When debating in the "serious" threads, please note that providing sources with your post is good practice. Due to the "open" nature of Wikipedia, it's not always a good idea to quote exclusively from it. Sometimes it is better to use the links that the Wiki article has itself used as reference sources.

If you have any suggestions for improving this forum, we'd be delighted to hear them!

[This message has been edited by Pitt (edited 09-30-2009 @ 08:00 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
D Furius Venator
HG Alumnus
posted 13 February 2007 08:04 EDT (US)     1 / 12       
I'd like to add that some people have a penchant for avoiding the swear filter violation. In order to save needless warnings, I will edit these out as they occur and I see them. But if I have to do this too often, I'll have no alternative but to warn or ban.

I'm all in favour of 'robust' debate and posting 'provocatively' to encourage debate. But provocative posting does not require rudeness or CoC violations.

Civile! Si ergo fortibusis in ero.
Wassis inem causan dux?
Gnossis vile demsis trux!

I suggest that before badgering for a translation you take the time to read it out loud. Thankyou.
Andariel
Banned
posted 13 February 2007 13:40 EDT (US)     2 / 12       
I hate the main HG forums. And I don't want trash being posted on my threads if they take place after Napoleon. Do we have to keep post-1800s history posts away? What separates Rome from America but thousands of years, then what separates the Renaissance from Napoleon but a few hundred?
D Furius Venator
HG Alumnus
posted 13 February 2007 13:47 EDT (US)     3 / 12       
I'm not sure I understand you entirely Andariel. The aim for this forum is to cover all TW historical periods. That takes us up to 1815, if you include mods or about 1630 otherwise. Note we only include 'historical' mods.

Nobody's going to post 'trash' on your threads. And if a threads discussion happens to flow past our 'deadline date' that's okay. But the last thing we need are loads of historical threads completely unrelated to the 'TW timespan'.

Wassis inem causan dux?

I suggest that before badgering for a translation you take the time to read it out loud. Thankyou.
Andariel
Banned
posted 13 February 2007 13:54 EDT (US)     4 / 12       
American Civil War
D Furius Venator
HG Alumnus
posted 13 February 2007 13:57 EDT (US)     5 / 12       
What about it? I'm actually fairly interested it it myself, as I am in WWI, WWII and various other C19 and C20 conflicts. They've no place here - and even Napoleon's pushing it. We could go ultra hard-line and specify cut off dates but really it's just common sense what's appropriate here and what would be better at HG Main or on a completely different site.

Wassis inem causan dux?

Andariel
Banned
posted 13 February 2007 14:22 EDT (US)     6 / 12       
I don't like HG main *shivers* it's like a completely different website, and the colors are all bright and annoying on my eyes, and all those strange people...
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 13 February 2007 14:37 EDT (US)     7 / 12       
Andariel, there is no problem with the odd US Civil War thread in the baths. Just don't go too wild okay!
As for this forum, Furius has said everything that I would have said. A topic in the history forum does have to have some relation to the games that the site promotes.

P.S. Notice the new name for the forum everybody!

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Jubelu
Banned
posted 06 June 2007 13:41 EDT (US)     8 / 12       
Sire, allowe me to talke this way:

Methinks we see many people love WWI and WWII. It hath been suggested that they could go somewhere else to this discuss. However, I have noticed that so many people love this forum, they still love to talke about it here. That is what I have seen uppone the forums, much better place for history discussion than any other forums, friendly members may be the most important feature of this forum.

Is it possible to expande another section for our Historians to have ground to expertise their knowledge.

(IF ALL MODERATORS DON'T LIKE THIS QUESTION, I AM VERY SORRY AND PLEASE CONSIDER I HAVE NOT SUGGESTED ANYTHING OR I AM TALKING NONSENSE )

[This message has been edited by Jubelu (edited 06-06-2007 @ 01:47 PM).]

Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 06 June 2007 18:22 EDT (US)     9 / 12       
The post above yours explains why we get the scope of the forum as we do. It's a Total War website so it should promote history from the periods covered by Total War games and it's mods.

Discuss WW1, WW2 & US Civil War all ye like but we ask that they are done in the Baths forum instead please.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Kor
Busschof Happertesch
(id: Derfel Cadarn)
posted 07 June 2007 06:39 EDT (US)     10 / 12       
Jubelu, don't take this badly, but could you please write in colloquial English for a change? Oftentimes your highbrow English isn't actually grammatically accurate, anyway.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.

[This message has been edited by Kor (edited 06-07-2007 @ 06:41 AM).]

Ace Cataphract
HG Alumnus
(id: Ace_Cataphract)
posted 07 June 2007 12:05 EDT (US)     11 / 12       
And the capitalization of individual words and statements is really, really bothersome. If you'd like to express emphasis, perhaps italicizing the words would serve you better.

I put a dollar in one of those change machines. Nothing changed. ~George Carlin
Revolutionist11
Legionary
posted 25 August 2009 13:29 EDT (US)     12 / 12       
how exactly can i move a subject because it is kinda about current affairs so how may i move it???

If living conditions don't stop improving in this country, we're going to run out of humble beginnings for our great men.
- Russell P. Askue
I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out.
- Rodney Dangerfield
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames