Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Barbarian Invasion Discussion » Berber campaign
Bottom
Topic Subject:Berber campaign
Alex_the_Bold
Legionary
posted 13 May 2012 00:44 EDT (US)         
I've recently started a new BI campaign as the Berbers, as I had never tried them, nor the Numidians in the vanilla before and I was really surprised at how well their lightly-armoured units did in field battles, even defeating a large roman army made up of comitatenses and limitanei.

But, when I tried to take Carthage, my eight-unit army was decimated. Most of my units were depleted to about ten men even before they reached the walls, due to the towers located at the gate. I'm asking for some advice in order to improve my chances in siege battles, as I have to take Carthage soon in order to improve my crumbling economy...

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.
AuthorReplies:
Drakontos
Legionary
posted 13 May 2012 04:24 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
When I played as the Berbers my solution was to simply camp outside the walls. Diverting troops with siege weapons on opposing walls and such isn't much use when towers alone decimate your army. You don't stand a chance in a siege, so just starve them out. If they sally, at least that's a fight you stand a chance of winning...

PROCRASTINATE NOT JAMAIS ARRIERE
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 13 May 2012 04:30 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Here are some tips for assaulting a city:
The Art of the Siege
The Art of the Assault

They were written for Vanilla, but the principles should apply in both games.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 13 May 2012 07:04 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
Even if you get inside the city, in street fighting your light troops will suffer badly against the better roman infantry.
Alex_the_Bold
Legionary
posted 13 May 2012 10:10 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Thank you for your tips And Terikel, sieges are all the same in BI, but for more awesome siege towers which actually decimate the defenders on the wall with their ballistae-like missiles.

Now, let's prepare my strategy *gets down drawing on a piece of paper*

Invincibility lies in defence, while the possibility of victory in the attack -Sun Tzu
Akouson me, pataxon de (hit me, but first listen to me)-Themistocles to Euribiadis prior to the battle of Salamis.

[This message has been edited by Alex_the_bold (edited 05-13-2012 @ 10:13 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 13 May 2012 15:12 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Don't forget to use a full stack. Your light troops will best be used capturing towers to get them shooting at the defenders, until they pull into the center. There your missile troops should be able to empty their quivers into the rears and flanks of the enemy, if you deployed correctly.

Good luck, and keep light-armored troops out of melee with heavies!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII

[This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 05-13-2012 @ 03:14 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames