You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Total War Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Total War Discussion » What's your favorite army? Share your army compositions in Royal Military Academy.
Bottom
Topic Subject:What's your favorite army? Share your army compositions in Royal Military Academy.
honga
Legionary
posted 10 December 2008 07:27 EDT (US)         
Hi all
This time, Royal Military Academy brought you an interesting and useful tool.

Now you can form your army in our Army Simulator, try variable units compositions, calculate the army cost and fighting ability, save it to share your favorite army, and discuss your tactics with each other.

Have fun. ^_^

Royal Military Academy
http://totalwar.honga.net

Army
http://totalwar.honga.net/army.php?encode=en

Form your army
http://totalwar.honga.net/army.php?v=m2tw&f=england&mode=organize&encode=en
[JPEG, (142.05 KB)]

Army detail
http://totalwar.honga.net/army.php?mode=detail&a=2&encode=en
[JPEG, (130.85 KB)]
AuthorReplies:
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 10 December 2008 17:59 EDT (US)     1 / 15       
Hey Honga. Great to see you again. Just when we think you've covered everything, you come up with something new. Well done mate. Newsied on our front page!

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

honga
Legionary
posted 12 December 2008 12:52 EDT (US)     2 / 15       
So many thanks to you, Saxo Grammaticus

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 13 December 2008 18:10 EDT (US)     3 / 15       
This is awesome, Honga. Nice one!

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Waffentraeger
Legionary
(id: Daelon)
posted 13 December 2008 18:51 EDT (US)     4 / 15       
Ah this was what Saxo was showing me, this is 100% sex! Very helpful tool for figuring out army setups without being in game!
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 14 December 2008 21:34 EDT (US)     5 / 15       
Here are the Venetian armies posted by me and EoJ. It seems we both had MP in mind.

Mine is a heavy shock army which relies on brute force and gunpowder.

166 melee, 73 charge, 204 missile, 202 defense apparently.

Honga, did I mention that I love you?

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 12-14-2008 @ 09:49 PM).]

Lone Scotsguard
Legionary
posted 15 December 2008 00:03 EDT (US)     6 / 15       
http://totalwar.honga.net/army.php?mode=detail&a=149

This Army ready to take on everything.
Relied on the long ranged missiles to depleting any enemy attack, immune to cavalry charges and can hold their ground in prolonged fight.
The Longbowmen able to create a stakefield and rains deadly arrows decimating enemy cavalry and infantry. The stakefield creates a 'no cavalry zone' and the Feudals and Armored Swordsmen ready to finish off any enemy infantry managed to survive the missiles and slip through the stakefield. The Mercenary spearmen protecting the flanks and the Hospitallers ready to flank the enemy or charge deep into the enemy ranks to kill specific target such as artilleries or mobbing the enemy General.

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing, Roman Cavalry choirs are singing, be my mirrors my swords my shield, my missionaries on foreign fields
For some reason i can't explain, i know saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest world, but that was when i rule the world

[This message has been edited by Lone Scotsguard (edited 12-15-2008 @ 00:09 AM).]

el_bandito
Legionary
posted 15 December 2008 00:09 EDT (US)     7 / 15       
England is mighty popular in there. Longbowmen are just too good to pass it seems.

Michael Jackson
JuBuOrangie
Legionary
posted 15 December 2008 00:24 EDT (US)     8 / 15       
Scotsguard, your army is weak against artillery. The only problem with sharpened stakes is you cant move them if you run away from artillery then you lose the bonus.

My strategy against youre army would be sit back with lots of cavalry, a few infantry and artillery. I would disorganize youre army with artillery and and get some charges with my cavalry; my infantry would defend the cannons.

My army would in turn be weak against just pure cavalry archers. Unless you have something to counter each different unit your army is imperfect.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 15 December 2008 08:11 EDT (US)     9 / 15       
I'll add an army or two - the main weaknesses will be a lack of cavalry probably (everyone else seems to take a lot).

Bandito, yours would have a multiplayer weakness in the shape of morale - although that's probably less important when going for a shock and flatten aproach. Am I right in thinking that muskets outrange monster ribaults quite nicely?

edit:
HRE http://totalwar.honga.net/army.php?mode=detail&a=150
not very good but something

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 12-15-2008 @ 08:39 AM).]

theboyne
Legionary
posted 15 December 2008 12:43 EDT (US)     10 / 15       
The army that the vast majority of my posts or questions relate to.

http://totalwar.honga.net/army.php?mode=detail&a=154

Not an army you'd want in custom or multiplayer battle but its aimed at campaign warfare. It's cheap in the field and very cheap in a city. It shouldn't be out of one turn reinforcement of another legion so if it does lose, then the victors will not be happy so see another one before they can recover.

Ironically, the only factions that allow good militia armies are the factions I don't particularly like.

If the English, scots or danes could turn out something similar then I'd be very happy.

The lack of decent cavalry is intentional - I can't use cavalry very well, I don't like cavalry very much and I won't pay a massive amount on something I'll just waste.
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 15 December 2008 21:02 EDT (US)     11 / 15       
Bandito, yours would have a multiplayer weakness in the shape of morale - although that's probably less important when going for a shock and flatten aproach. Am I right in thinking that muskets outrange monster ribaults quite nicely?
Your analysis is correct about the morale as well as your opinion about the Musketeers outranging the Monster Ribaults. This formation is very useful if your opponent is aggressive and deploys close to your army. He will get the shock of his life time when those Ribaults shoot immediately (36 x 3 =108 bullets!) and throws his ranks into dissaray and before he recovers, the Broken Lances charge in, then split to the sides for flanking after the charge is spent. The heavy infantry then moves in for the kill. Morale is not important, as you pointed out. Make sure you general doesn't die and let him use the rally button liberally and you have a fighting chance.

I adopted this tactic from Napoleon's combined use of light artillery and infantry charge, with my own modification. It works in the Medieval era.

The worst thing that can happen to this strategy is when your opponent defends an uneven terrain, far away from you. You don't want to slog through that kinda terrain, not to mention the Monster Ribaults will have bad aims in such condition, all the while the enemy assaults you with ranged attacks.
BTW, your army composition is excellent. Depending on the terrain, they can be invincible.

Just made the first army for the Timurids. Gotta have the elephants Too bad I miscalculated the penalty cost and went a bit overboard.

Ofcourse, I made one for the Mongols as well. A pure mounted army with significant melee and ranged punch. Just like the Mongols.

Michael Jackson

[This message has been edited by el_bandito (edited 12-15-2008 @ 09:49 PM).]

Lone Scotsguard
Legionary
posted 16 December 2008 08:55 EDT (US)     12 / 15       
@JuBuorangie
Scotsguard, your army is weak against artillery. The only problem with sharpened stakes is you cant move them if you run away from artillery then you lose the bonus.
This is my general view of a perfect army in campaign not in human vs human.
The AI is more agressive in campaign and only sit back in defensive mode when they are outnumbered or defending a rivercrossing.
This type of army even when the Hospitallers are replaced by the weaker mailed knights still can handle most of AI armies.
Im decimating most of my Mongols and Timurids enemy using this kind of army.
Even when the Timurids brings two or three Elephant canons i can still own them.
Of course i have to withstand the enemy bombardments for few early minutes before there is a gap between their advancing army and their static artillery.
That it the time for me to send my Knights to do their 'little tricks' in flanking movement to destroy the enemy artillery.
The rest of it, its easy.
With this kind of army i can focus my micromanagement to the Cavalry units (thats why i never bring much of them although i relied my critical attack on my cavalry).
My strategy against youre army would be sit back with lots of cavalry, a few infantry and artillery. I would disorganize youre army with artillery and and get some charges with my cavalry; my infantry would defend the cannons.
How many canons will you bring and how many infantry will guard them?
If you put all ur infantry to guard the artillery than i can use my feudals and armored swordsmen for offensive purpose because double spearmen and my emplacement of the stakefield would require you to micromanage your many horses just to keep them from the stakes - and dont forget that massive volleys of my longbowmen is enough to decimating the numbers and morals of your cavalry.
You will not get a clean charge towards my longbowmen and they can fought well using swords in melee against trapped horses inside the stakefield.
The numbers of my heavy infantry if moving in loose formation can absorb your cavalry charges (not to mention that ur cavalry has to fight under constant barrage of arrows)
You sure have a lots of micromanagement during the battle while i only have to concentrate on the few precious knights.
My army would in turn be weak against just pure cavalry archers. Unless you have something to counter each different unit your army is imperfect.
There is no perfect army my friend, but with this army, i can just sit down against most of the AI can brings.

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing, Roman Cavalry choirs are singing, be my mirrors my swords my shield, my missionaries on foreign fields

[This message has been edited by Lone Scotsguard (edited 12-16-2008 @ 08:57 AM).]

Lone Scotsguard
Legionary
posted 16 December 2008 10:20 EDT (US)     13 / 15       
History Makers - Lions of Cagliari

http://totalwar.honga.net/army.php?mode=detail&a=161

The year is 1278 AD - An Army of Sicily just landed in the coast east of Cagliari.
The Sicilian forces is medium half stacked army with 6 unit of Norman Knights, 3 archers and 1 catapult.
My Cagliari garrison dispathed a small unit to meet the Sicilian landing party.
My England's forces consist of 3 Armored Swordsmen, 4 Longbowmen and 1 mailed knights under the command of Captain Robin.
The Sicilian catapult make some damage in my defensive line and their Norman Knights move in full confident under the protection of their archer.
But my longbowmen give them hardtimes reaching my lines before im sending the armored swordsmen to cover the front, getting toe to toe with the normans while my cavalry manage to flank and destroys their catapult.
After wipe out the Sicilian archers, the mailed knights start to charging the Sicilians heavy infantry from the rear and sending them rout one by one.
I get heroic victory and marking the spot as the Site of Famous Battle

Taken from the actual action

[This message has been edited by Lone Scotsguard (edited 12-16-2008 @ 10:22 AM).]

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 17 December 2008 08:07 EDT (US)     14 / 15       
I added something like the Ventian army I'd aim for - although I may take more melee and less missile than I used.

The attack and defence stats don't seem to update for weapons and armour upgrades. Is that intentional given the different way they're treated in-game from the +1 treatment the selection screens/campaign map shows?
If Venice had serpentines they could be my favourite faction I think :0)
el_bandito
Legionary
posted 18 December 2008 21:43 EDT (US)     15 / 15       
Very good selection Swampy. The upgrades will keep the enemy off guard. My suggestion will be to replace one of the musketeers with one more pavise Xbow militia. The general should be downgraded to early bodyguard, since you will not use the general too much in combat anyway for the fear of losing him. With the additional florins, perhaps you can add one more upgrades, or replace your Mounted Sergeants with another Stradiots. I would like to have one more Culverin included there (possible if you swap your upgraded Spear Militias with Armored Sergeants), otherwise, most French or HRE human opponents will have artillery advantage over you.

Michael Jackson
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames