Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies, Sticky
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion » Strategy Articles
Bottom
Topic Subject:Strategy Articles
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 01 December 2006 10:37 EDT (US)         
We're looking for articles to be submitted to the Strategy section. Currently, we have one (thanks Marcus).

If you have an idea for an article, then submit it by all means, but please read the Submission Guidelines first.

Quote:

Submission drafts should be sent in format that allows for some formatting, preferably MS Word (.doc), Rich Text Format (.rtf) or Text (.txt). Include the title of your strategy, your name, and your e-mail address at the top of your draft. Please check your spelling and overall structure before you send your draft. A few errors are to be expected, but please take some time to look it over before you send it in. Please also attach a summary of the article in about 100 words and chapter headings if you want links at the top of the page. Don't worry if it doesn't fit in with any specific section, adding another section for a good article is no hassle on our part.

While there is not a length limit imposed on any strategies we accept, please understand that we are looking for thoroughly thought-out ideas that have been played and tested prior to having been submitted to us. A couple of paragraphs usually is not long enough to discuss a strategy in-depth. A couple of screenshots makes a great accompanying visual aid for describing strategies.

Please send all pictures as separate attached files with a note in the main document saying where it should be added.

Submissions should be sent to myself.

Also, if there are any questions about strategy articles or the strategy section in general, please ask them here.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph

[This message has been edited by yakcamkir (edited 02-09-2007 @ 06:40 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Primo
Legionary
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 02 December 2006 10:49 EDT (US)     1 / 20       

Quote:

Currently, we have one (thanks Marcus).

No Problem.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 02 December 2006 13:02 EDT (US)     2 / 20       
Patience, my green friend- not everyone has the game yat

In other words, I'll start when I get it
BTW: I liked the guide, Marcus

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
mebertus
Banned
posted 15 January 2007 15:21 EDT (US)     3 / 20       
I've submitted one ... not that I'm some great stratician, but maybe it could prove useful to some of you someday, under a somewhat bizzaire set of circumstances.
CheddarCheese
Legionary
posted 16 January 2007 13:09 EDT (US)     4 / 20       
Haha! I loved your strategy, Funny and inspiring

Through the gates of Insanity, to the edge of Humanity...-The Rasmus
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 24 January 2007 11:35 EDT (US)     5 / 20       
Good guides both of ye. I'm working on something after spending a few frustrating weekends trying to teach my dad how to play M2TW

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

Carthage
Legionary
posted 24 January 2007 14:19 EDT (US)     6 / 20       
Where are these articles? (I know i'm probably being stupid :P)

Carthage
And beyond, green fields under a swift sunrise
Oh well, thats not so bad, is it?
No, no it's not

Proud joint winner of the M2TWH Saladin award
Primo
Legionary
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 24 January 2007 15:13 EDT (US)     7 / 20       
http://medieval2.heavengames.com/m2tw/Strategy/Battle/index.shtml

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
Rozanov
Legionary
posted 25 January 2007 05:50 EDT (US)     8 / 20       
Have read the two strategy articles.

Some interesting points made but, please can you tidy up the language, especially the sexually related terminology.

Re: defending sieges.

Sallying forth - if you fear you're going to have to do it, then do it the first turn you notice the enemy haven't built any more siege equipment. It's usually a sign they're going to try and starve you out.

The "who controls" which section of wall / gates problem. I don't know why CA chose the method in M2:TW, I find the RTW version so much easier to understand. (Actually my main problem is when attacking at sieges rather than defending.)

One obvious point - if the attacking forces start shelling your walls, get your troops off that section of wall FAST. I nonchalantly watched as one force fired a mortar at one section of wall - thinking they'll never hit, but they did first shot and by the time I ordered my men off that section of wall, it had taken another two shots and a chunk of it disappeared. Right under a unit of armoured swordsmen who insisted on standing there until 20 of them had been killed when the wall collapsed. And make sure any defending troops behind the wall is sufficiently behind or to one side to avoid being crushed by falling masonry.

Fire arrows - these seem far more ineffectual than in RTW. But they can help destroy siege weapons. (I had an instance recently when an attacking siege tower had sustained 97% damage but was still servicable until my archers eventually finished it off.)

Routed troops. Note unlike RTW if your defending troops are broken they will not only run off the walls, they will head for the gates of the inner sanctum (if you have one.) Can be a nightmare as if the enemy (esp cavalry) times it correctly they can charge through gates when the open to let the routing troops through.

Another point about gates. You sometimes have to position any defending troops further away from the gates to get them to close. Very convenient (not) when you are trying to keep enemy forces out. So if the outer walls look like being overwhelmed, move your troops round the walls (micromanage to prevent them getting off the walls and becoming chewed up by cavalry) back into the second layer of defence. Have the 2nd layer manned to keep the towers firing. Also useful place for archers.

(Javelin bug - unless it gets fixed, it seems javelinmen won't throw their javelins from inner walls, but do so from outer walls. Ergo if you have them, place them, on outer walls for maximum effect.)

Carthage
Legionary
posted 26 January 2007 09:10 EDT (US)     9 / 20       
@ Marcus Orentius: Thanks forgot about the other site :s

Carthage
And beyond, green fields under a swift sunrise
Oh well, thats not so bad, is it?
No, no it's not

Proud joint winner of the M2TWH Saladin award
dsmi1
Legionary
posted 27 February 2007 00:57 EDT (US)     10 / 20       
Ok i submitted something to yakcamkir, get cracking on some articles people.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 27 February 2007 18:18 EDT (US)     11 / 20       
Good man dsmi1

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

TaylorFlame
Lizard the Bard
posted 28 February 2007 01:43 EDT (US)     12 / 20       
SS and I are making one.

TaylorFlame - The Definitive Man.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 03 March 2007 03:22 EDT (US)     13 / 20       
Nnneeeaaarlly finished one on religion.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
Undefeatable
Legionary
posted 18 April 2007 12:06 EDT (US)     14 / 20       
So I guess the one I sent to D Furious that he requested didnt reach him? Let me know if it did, I can redo it or resend it.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 18 April 2007 16:11 EDT (US)     15 / 20       
To be fair, Furius is only just back from hols. Yak is the strategy man. Want to send it to him?

-Love Gaius

mebertus
Banned
posted 01 September 2007 08:31 EDT (US)     16 / 20       
Whoa ... Viking raid ... wtf?
yakcamkir
Seraph Emeritus
posted 12 November 2007 10:22 EDT (US)     17 / 20       
Sorry, I deleted it by accident while working on a new feature.

Fixed now.

Rome: Total War Heaven | Medieval II: Total War Heaven | Empire: Total War Heaven
"Do not stand behind Satan in the Post Office queue because the devil takes many forms."
"Your front-page picture of Kate Winslet with a plunging neckline being up for two golden globes was most appropriate."

Unpublished letters to the Daily Telegraph
Dradyn
Legionary
posted 24 February 2008 18:40 EDT (US)     18 / 20       
oh hey, looks like I can come in good here.

This is Archangel btw.
Gallowglass
Legionary
posted 03 May 2008 10:16 EDT (US)     19 / 20       
I might do a strategy article on how to raid enemy lands before you capture them: good against firm opponents with free cash. I've tried it loads of times, I know what I'm talking about.

'I tremble with fear that this vile spot may still be the ruin of this island and our family' - Butcher Cumberland

'They make a desert and they call it peace' - Calgacus, leader of the Picts, on the Roman army
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 14 July 2008 06:42 EDT (US)     20 / 20       
I'd like to draw everyone's attention back to this thread. Remember we are always looking for new articles, whether they be campaign strategy, opening moves, an overview, battlefield tactics or just something new and inventive like this. Don't be put off by the fact you want to do or have done an article which we already have something similar to, the more the merrier!

I'm available to talk about articles, whether you want to submit one or ask anything related to writing/submitting one. Catch me on MSN (In my profile) or drop me an email.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames