Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion » Help with Politics
Bottom
Topic Subject:Help with Politics
toweronetwo
Legionary
posted 16 June 2011 13:17 EDT (US)         
Hey everyone.

I'm new to MTW2, but played the first one for a long time. I'm having serious issues with politics, and could use some advice on what exactly is setting off other countries against me, and/or how to avoid that. Even if I only attack rebel sites, By turn 60 or so I've got at 6 countries at war with me, and none willing to negotiate. I don't attack unprovoked or anything. Kinda getting frustrated, and getting the same reaction even on Easy status.

Thanks!
AuthorReplies:
Lost Knight
Legionary
(id: huntforcollossus)
posted 16 June 2011 16:25 EDT (US)     1 / 9       
if you sit there and only attack rebels, then they will go for you, as your basically a sitting duck,and if you've managed to go 60 turns without attacking a real faction, you've got some patience

It also somewhat depends on faction. in one of my england campaigns, i attacked france once, and within 5 turns spain and HRE all had turned on me.

This is my signature. Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again.

And when he gets to heaven, To saint peter he will tell- One more soldier reporting sir,
I've served my time in hell.

Lol, that was funny. Lost Knight is my favorite bro in AoEIIIH - Eurotool

[This message has been edited by Lost_Knight (edited 06-16-2011 @ 04:26 PM).]

toweronetwo
Legionary
posted 17 June 2011 12:49 EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Yeah I'll figure something out. By turn 60 I have attacked factions, but always counter attacks, and then once I counter attack all their allies attack. Grrr. I hate how the Pope orders me cease all attacks on Milan but Milan can attack me turn after turn. Gets frustrating. And then HRE always joins their side, and meanwhile Byzantium joins with the Turks and Poles and is waging war from the East.
Lost Knight
Legionary
posted 17 June 2011 16:26 EDT (US)     3 / 9       
^ I'll assume your playing as france or Venice?

And when he gets to heaven, To saint peter he will tell- One more soldier reporting sir,

toweronetwo
Legionary
posted 19 June 2011 14:33 EDT (US)     4 / 9       
Yes Venice. I played through as Venice once but failed to meet the victory criteria (I forgot all about it). I was by far the strongest faction but only had like 35 regions. So I started again as Venice, and that's when all hell lined up against me. I played through about 50 turns and was getting attacked on ALL sides by everyone, so I started over and tried to control the political side better. But the same thing happened, only this time I've been muscling through it and slowly eliminating factions, even though they're all lined up against me. Helps that it's on Easy (first play through was on medium).

And on 6/17 when I wrote "and Poles attack from the East" I meant Hungary, not Poles.

I appreciate the time you're spending helping me out. Even though I'm doing pretty well in my current campaign, I feel that it's only because it's on Easy, and that I'd get crushed on harder settings, since I'm basically fighting a 4-front war.

[This message has been edited by toweronetwo (edited 06-19-2011 @ 02:37 PM).]

Lost Knight
Legionary
posted 19 June 2011 16:56 EDT (US)     5 / 9       
In my many attempts at Venice campaigns (on M/M difficulty) i have had several run-ins with other factions.

War with milan is almost always inevitable, due to your proximity to them. often, as i have seen, Milan and France like to buddy up, so if Milan attacks you then france will often like to join in. the problem with this is, if france can hold their ground early on, they will make alliances with nearby factions, which can explain why hungary etc also attack you.

Most of the other factions will be interested in venice, being as it is an incredibly rich town, so either keep a stack or two near to Venice (perhaps put one in Zagreb if you own it) or try to blitz through the other north italian towns early on.

toweronetwo
Legionary
posted 20 June 2011 10:32 EDT (US)     6 / 9       
Yeah I found success in my third campaign by anchoring my defense in Venice, then focusing on quick southeast expansion, then focusing on quickly eliminating Sicily. After that pushing east hard claiming Corinth, Thess, and Constantinople. By now Milan, HRE, Hungary, Turkey, and Papacy were all attacking me, but I anchor in for a while then counter via sea to Smyrna, Rhodes, and Icanium (?), and in the West I hit Tunis and spread along north Africa. At the moment I'm in a good place with 95 turns remaining and have 31 regions. All I need is 14 more, and I'm preparing a push into Hungary territory, and into Spain/Portugal. After this campaign I will try a different faction and try better politics, as again I doubt I'd be able to pull this strategy off on a harder level.
Lost Knight
Legionary
posted 20 June 2011 16:02 EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Eliminating other Italians (barring pope) makes the road easier early on.

If your close to reaching the end of the campaign, make sure to try to get the settlement required in the objective for the campaign. i believe this is either Constantinople or Jerusalem for Venice, or both. i once managed to lose a campaign as england because time ran out, i had the right amount of settlements, just not Jerusalem.

toweronetwo
Legionary
posted 27 June 2011 15:56 EDT (US)     8 / 9       
Thanks for all your advice. I did in fact beat the campaign, as Constantinople was actually a pretty early takeover. I continued with the same campaign just to work on some strategies and practice my battle tactics. I'm embarrassed to say I relied more on "auto" for battles than I ever did playing the first MTW. Fixing that though. The Papal double standard still pisses me off though, as I'll get a Venician Pope elected, but he'll still order me to cease hostilities against Milan or Spain while they're both continuously bombarding my castles round after round. Then I counter attack and get excommunicated and my territories' unrest jumps up 20%. Oh well.
Dr Pepperr
Legionary
posted 09 August 2011 07:33 EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Several things make that other factions attack you and most are related to your reputation. To keep a good reputation, keep the following things in mind:

- don't execute prisoners
- dong sack or exterminate settlements
- keep your promises such as attacking a certain faction if you promise that as part of a deal
- don't attack a faction without a 2-turn warning ("accept or I'll attack")
- don't ally or get trade rights with an enemy of another ally (your current ally won't like it when you give trade rights to their enemy. Gives you an unreliable reputation)
- don't walk through another faction's land unless they've given you military access.
- help out your allies (so only ally those you really want stay friends with, 1 or 2 mostly, and only ally them when you're able to help them when needed. Otherwise you lose reputation for 'being the one who watches his ally getting killed'.

Other reasons why factions may attack you:

- being an easy target (a weakly defended city close to an army is likely to be attacked, even though you're not at war yet)
- having no ships defending your ports (a faction may 'think' it's easy to destroy your economy by blockading ports. And if you don't defend them, they're probably right about attacking).
- taking certain (rebel) settlements may anger other factions. I don't know all these, but somehow some factions hate you for taking a settlement they wanted to take as well. Taking Stockholm (as Russians) for example angers the Danes, taking Florence angers the other factions around it and taking Ajaccio seems to anger the rest of the Mediterrenean.

So in short, play as if it is the real world. In reality, it wouldn't make sense to have trade rights with every other nation, have allies all over Europe even though you'll never reach them in time when they need your help, etc. It also wouldn't make sense to leave cities and ports undefended near 'neutral' armies/fleets and moving your army through someone else's territory would make them nervous in real, so that's also what happens in the game.

All this doesn't guarantee you not being attacked, especially not on VH, but it helps you controlling politics instead of others controlling you.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames