You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion » Crusading your neighbors
Bottom
Topic Subject:Crusading your neighbors
brianiangoodman
Legionary
posted 23 July 2011 13:32 EDT (US)         
Is it possible to get the Pope to declare a crusade against your main enemy?

I am playing the British, and I am facing the scotts who I want off my island. The last time I went to war with the scotts, I got excommunicated. What I would like to do is get rid of the Scotts without going to war with them.

Golden Rules of Compainging:
1. It's the Economy
2. Controlled Expansion
3. Keeping Momentum
AuthorReplies:
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 23 July 2011 14:18 EDT (US)     1 / 3       
Yes - but they need to have been excommunicated. Also, if you join the crusade against them you'd still be at war (albeit probably only for a short time before they get crushed).

The pope should only complain at the end of the turn in which you attack them (if at all); depending what position you and the Scots are in, you might be best off trying to get an army with siege equipment next to each of the remaining Scottish settlements and trying to take them all in the first turn you attack them.
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 23 July 2011 21:45 EDT (US)     2 / 3       
Is it possible to get the Pope to declare a crusade against your main enemy?

I am playing the British, and I am facing the scotts who I want off my island. The last time I went to war with the scotts, I got excommunicated. What I would like to do is get rid of the Scotts without going to war with them.
To get the Popes blessing for an attack, send your starting diplomat all the way to Rome and get an alliance and perfect relations with the pope. This should help you avoid getting excommunicated and give you a couple more turns to destroy them. This is somewhat gamey though.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
Brutus93
Legionary
posted 24 July 2011 07:28 EDT (US)     3 / 3       
I used to ally myself with the Pope all the time but now I sort of consider it cheating. Plus it doesn't make any sense when you get excommunicated yet are still an ally.

Scotland are notoriously hard to get excommunicated. So long as you have a well defended border they will never attack, yet the moment you attack them the Pope seems to hate you and you can bet that no matter how much Papal favour you have it won't be long before you're threatened with excommunication. Therefore it's best to blitz Scotland at the start of the campaign, when excommunication is less likely to have a major impact. Even when I've been excommunicated, the first crusade has always been against either Antioch or Jerusalem, giving you time to get reconciled with his holiness before the next crusade can be called. Also, on the off chance a crusade is called against you, unlike later on, not many countries are going to be in a position to send wave after wave of full stack armies against you at the start of the campaign.

Your other main enemy, however, the dastardly frog eating French (no offence intended), should be less of a problem to get excommunicated. You could try and bait them by leaving Caen lightly garrisoned, or if you don't mind waiting until later on then no doubt they'll get themselves excommunicated fighting another faction. Then, so long as the Pope likes you, you should be able to use your influence to call a crusade and being centrally placed in Europe, as opposed to Scotland who are pretty isloated, a crusade against France should attract a lot of attention from their neighbours.

[This message has been edited by Brutus93 (edited 07-24-2011 @ 07:40 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames