You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion » Generals, Captains, Oh my!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Generals, Captains, Oh my!
brianiangoodman
Legionary
posted 16 August 2011 13:16 EDT (US)         
I have only been playing Medieval 2 total war for awhile now. I purchased it with Rome Total War digitally at the same time, but couldn't install Medieval 2 because of a slow internet connection. So in those early days I played Rome Total War (which I fell in love with) many, many times, even though I have trouble with the Real Time Battles.

Then finally my internet problem was over, and I download and installed Medieval 2. It was fun at first, then I discovered something disheartening.

Sometimes when my armies were on a siege, whether or not they had a general, they would break siege and totally disappear off the map. If they army had a general, the general would disappear too. That never happened to me when I held sieges in Rome Total War.

So the question is: Why is this happening. Why am I losing my armies and generals during prolonged sieges.

This entire problem is making me lose interest in Medieval

Golden Rules of Compainging:
1. It's the Economy
2. Controlled Expansion
3. Keeping Momentum
AuthorReplies:
Lost Knight
Legionary
(id: huntforcollossus)
posted 16 August 2011 17:29 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
This is probably because your generals and captains are disloyal. When they have a low amount of loyalty they have a habit of going becoming rebels, and when this happens they take the army they are leading with them. To see how much loyalty your general has, look at his stats. loyalty is represented by the rings.

This is probably the best explanation, otherwise you may have a problem within the game.

This is my signature. Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again.

And when he gets to heaven, To saint peter he will tell- One more soldier reporting sir,
I've served my time in hell.

Lol, that was funny. Lost Knight is my favorite bro in AoEIIIH - Eurotool
brianiangoodman
Legionary
posted 16 August 2011 17:33 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
I understand how to check a generals loyalty, but how do you keep it high.

Also how do you check your captains loyalty, and how do you keep that high?

Golden Rules of Compainging:
1. It's the Economy
2. Controlled Expansion
3. Keeping Momentum
Lost Knight
Legionary
(id: huntforcollossus)
posted 16 August 2011 18:08 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
General loyalty tends to be random at first (When i get an offer for an adoption or marriage to get a general, i only look at his loyalty. if it is low, e.g lower than 4, i reject the offer) General loyalty can be kept high by winning battles, and various traits and retinue. I find the best way to maintain it is winning battles.

Captain loyalty is odd, as there is no visible stat for it, i think captains have a loyalty depending on size of force (e.g larger force = more loyalty) and proximity to home provinces (closer to home = more loyalty) i rarely besiege towns with normal captains, as they are liable to rebel and lose your force. Thus it is advisable that you use more loyal generals to besiege, less loyal generals for battles to build loyalty, and captains to guard certain areas and kill rebels.

This is my signature. Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again.

And when he gets to heaven, To saint peter he will tell- One more soldier reporting sir,
I've served my time in hell.

Lol, that was funny. Lost Knight is my favorite bro in AoEIIIH - Eurotool
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 17 August 2011 01:25 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
There ought to be a message about a traitor or something similar whenever an army deserts you, although there's not much else that could explain your army vanishing.

I assume you're not on crusade, but if you were then stopping enroute for too long will cause your men to leave (not all at once).

If you've not patched your game then I recommend it (although if it's a downloaded version I'd not be sure that it doesn't automatically patch itself) just in case the occurrence of desertion was reduced. I certainly don't notice it that often (although I use mostly general led armies).

I think there might be a reduced chance of desertion if you station an agent with the army, e.g. a priest, spy or assassin accompanies them. It might be worth a shot.

To check if a general deserted, have a look at the family tree, it should say something about their fate.
Brutus93
Legionary
posted 23 August 2011 07:51 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
My only advice would be to use family members isntead of captains or generals out in the field. Forts are useful for armies you want to keep in your heartland to counter rebels but don't want to wsate a family member looking after them. Captains in a fort or any type of settlement can't rebel.

Also, if you have several generations of family members, you can have them marry their non-direct relatives, which would give a male family member the royal ties trait if he married a princess, increasing loyalty. Do it too much though and you will most likely get some of the negative inbreeding traits, so just save it for disloyal family members you want to make more loyal.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames