You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion » Scotland campaign (early) question(s)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Scotland campaign (early) question(s)
Warguppy
Legionary
posted 07 October 2011 10:59 EDT (US)         
It's early in my Scotland campaign and I haven't attacked England yet. They are limited to Nottingham, London and Caen at the moment; I have teh rest of teh British Isles and Bruges also. I have outstanding relations with England. Is it worth attacking them to get those other 2 regions or can I conceivably do well by keeping peace with them (assuming they don't decide to stab me in the back later and attack when I'm vulnerable to it)?

Life was much easier before I developed a sense of ethics.
AuthorReplies:
Awesome Eagle
Spear of Mars
(id: awesomated88)
posted 08 October 2011 03:18 EDT (US)     1 / 8       
If limited to those 3 cities, the English are not much of a threat. However i would recommend conquering them so as to provide you with a pretty secure and economically advantageous ownership of the British Isles. That way also, you dont have to keep watch on them and protect your rear if you have designs on a Scottish France. All the ports and developed roads can net you a nice penny at the end of the day....

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 08 October 2011 07:31 EDT (US)     2 / 8       
Awesomated88 has covered the economic argument and you'd already got the reduction in security that leaving them would give, but if you want a challenge you could try and keep them as a favoured ally. Perhaps if you took Rene and Angers you could sell them to the English in return for Nottingham - if you took that peacefully then you could focus on conquering Belgium eastwards and getting a nice trade zone across the North Sea and hopefully England would go off to attack France.
It could be hard to maintain peace but maybe interesting. You could even try to see how many marriages you could get between you.

Killing them makes more sense; you might even be able to leave them in France and make them your vassal (rather hit and miss though)
Warguppy
Legionary
posted 08 October 2011 11:02 EDT (US)     3 / 8       
I let them live and so far (turn 130-ish) they have remained a faithful ally to me. They are still limited to their 3 regions but I might give them a French territory or 2 soon (since I'm at war with France). I think I made a mistake with how I conquered countries, though. I really don't have any that aren't bording someone (usually a country that hates me) so I have to garrison all of them with something more than a minimal occupation force. I still have 2 almost-full-stack armies but I think I could field more if I didn't have to keep so many troops in all my cities.

But at least I have been able to keep minimal amounts of garrisons in the British Isles, trusting - so far successfully - that the English won't attack me. It remains to be seen if my trust is misplaced.

On another note, do the Scots ever get hand gunners/ arquebusiers/etc? I've had gunpowder technology for quite a few turns but have not seen any of these units show up in my recruitable lists.

[This message has been edited by Warguppy (edited 10-08-2011 @ 11:04 AM).]

Brutus93
Legionary
posted 10 October 2011 05:48 EDT (US)     4 / 8       
Nope. You don't get any gunpowder infantry or cavalry as Scotland, but you still get access to cannons and the like.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 10 October 2011 08:27 EDT (US)     5 / 8       
You should be able to pick some up as mercenaries in England/Wales/Continental Europe - although not anything good like musketeers:
http://medieval2.heavengames.com/m2tw/info/general/mercs1/index.shtml
Warguppy
Legionary
posted 10 October 2011 15:58 EDT (US)     6 / 8       
Okay thanks for answering the gunpowder units question. Yes, I have been able to pick up some arquebusiers as mercenary troops.

As an update to the "England, friend or foe?" question, the day I posted the comment that I would wait and see how the English treated me, I went home and booted up the game. The VERY NEXT TURN the English declared war on me. Luckily I still had some units in England and near the coast to take their 3 cities a few turns later. I had to do it all in one, fell swoop since if I tried to siege any of them the Pope started whining about me fighting Christians. SO I put siege weapons in each stack and knocked England out in one turn. Now my list of enemies is growing...

Brutus93
Legionary
posted 10 October 2011 16:27 EDT (US)     7 / 8       
But you also have a strong base in the form of the British Isles. Swings and roundabouts
lordjake
Legionary
posted 16 November 2011 11:09 EDT (US)     8 / 8       
Whenever I play as the Scots, I make a point to getting England eliminated as soon as possible. Once their heavier infantry and longbows start to become more of a mix in their armies they become tougher to deal with. If you can get to them while they still only have 3 provinces, build enough seige weapons and train enough troops to allow you to assault all 3 provinces on the same turn. Taking all 3 at once keeps you from being threatened by the Pope (although you still take a bit of a hit overall) and eliminates the threat of a counterattack the next turn from the armies that the computer likes to have wandering around (since they always turn into rebels once the faction itself is eliminated.)
Personally, I do not sack the cities. Sacking a Catholic city really causes a drop in relations with the Pope. Also, releasing the prisoners you capture in all of the battles prior to the last one helps out your reputation.

Once you control all of Britain, you should have a strong economy to support further expansion, without having to tie up a lot of troops garrisoning your provinces.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames