You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion » Defeating the timurids
Bottom
Topic Subject:Defeating the timurids
darude
Legionary
posted 15 May 2012 13:34 EDT (US)         
I know its a fairly well covered topic, but a slightly different angle, has anyone ever managed to defeat the strongest timurid stack 1 on 1 ie they have a general with all dread and command, 4 units of heavy lancers, 4 units of heavy horse archers, 4 units of sabadar militia, 3 units of halberd militia, 2 units of elephants, 2 units of elephant artillery with the 6 experience. So has anyone managed to create their own 20 unit army that can beat that? ive tried bridge battles, the elephants are just too powerful, i know you need them to run amok, but they seem to take a stupid amount of fire arrows, mustket fire, cannon fire and mellee before they do!

im playing as the turks, i guess maybe the french might have slightly better units for beating them (serpentines, basilisks, better knights, scots guard, heavier infantry, aventuerier). also anyone tried using naffatun against them? thinking this miight work, will try soon.

I have managed to hire a unit of elephants and also artllery elephants in my current campaign, and ive got close to similar numbers to deal with them, but im also at war with every other faction (apart from the moors who are my allies, and portugal, byzantines, egypt and the mongols are dead) due to a nasty crusade against antioch, where the timurids are now sieging, so i have a large empire that was doing well, but is now financially failing because im trying to fight the timurids and fend off all the other factions. Not sure whether to take the elephants off to europe to cause havoc there or use them against the timurids (feel like this might be a waste of them, specially since their so fun and would ruin western factions ) any and all advice is welcomed!

ps im playing vh campaign/hard battles

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )
This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!
"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" muhatma ghandi
"And at the last, evil foe i say this unto you, COLLEUS" me

[This message has been edited by darude (edited 05-15-2012 @ 01:36 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 15 May 2012 15:06 EDT (US)     1 / 3       
Ooh, good luck with that...
I once defeated a force of timurids with gunners on multi (complete with eles)- given enough time gunners should take care of of them. Stakes don't work (erk), so it's that or mob them with your own elephants. Other than that, load up on spearmen and archers, and for the love of God keep everyone together.
Sounds quite a campaign you have going there. Got a few screenies?

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
darude
Legionary
posted 16 May 2012 07:42 EDT (US)     2 / 3       
What kind of gunners? and did they have 4 units? i reckon the generals must be a big problem, because my men seem to break so easily. but even with the best trained assassins ive only manged to kill 2 of their generals, so they still have 4, most in the elephant armies.

how do i go about posting screenshots? cant even remember where the in game shots get stored, and not sure i have any program that can view them in the weird format they show up in

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )
This is bunny. Copy bunny into your siginature to help him on his way to world domination!
"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" muhatma ghandi
"And at the last, evil foe i say this unto you, COLLEUS" me
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 19 May 2012 07:24 EDT (US)     3 / 3       
The generals will be quite an issue, the dread combining with the fear of elephants and the fear of gunpowder artillery will really be hammering your chaps. On that point, if you've got a very high chivalry general then he could potentially be a good counter, if I remember the effects of dread/chivalry rightly.

It's been a very long time since I took a campaign far enough to face the Timurids directly, I think it took me quite a few armies to wear them down when it's happened though. If you've got a saved game in a suitable place it could be interesting to share it and let people have a go at putting together an army to see what best result they can get for a 1 on 1 fight against that stack, comparing results here.

I'm sure I've put together some comments on screenshots somewhere, just trying to find them and then I'll link / repeat them. There are some guides for RTW but nothing formal for M2TW I think, but there's not much difference between the two.
edit: hmm, struggling to find it. In the meantime, the screenshots are saved in the Medieval/TGAs folder. If you're on Vista or Win7 then you might have to have some fun and games with the virtual store - let us know if you need help with that.
Once you've found the folder, you need something that can read .TGA files; Infran View is one that's usually recommended but others are available.

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 05-19-2012 @ 07:38 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames