You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.3 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion » The Ultimate Auto-Resolve Topic
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Ultimate Auto-Resolve Topic
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 12 December 2012 19:21 EDT (US)         
I wasn't sure if there already was a topic like this somewhere, but I believe this necessary for us hotseaters. I basically understand every aspect of this game now, with the notable exception of auto-resolve mastery. I don't know if it is a simple system taking very little into account, or a complex system breaking down every aspect of the game and accounting for all factors.

What I wish to learn is how auto-resolve works, what factors come into play when determining the victor, how/if it handles traits of the Generals and unit abilities such as Anti-Cavalry 4 and 8, Armour-Piercing, and Morale, terrain, sieges, just about everything.

Any help on decoding the mystery of auto-resolve will be appreciated.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
AuthorReplies:
Average Citizen
Legionary
posted 13 December 2012 13:39 EDT (US)     1 / 3       
I've always guessed total attack value - total defence value of the enemy and whatnot. That would explain 8 cannons > A fullstack of cavarlymen
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 14 December 2012 01:13 EDT (US)     2 / 3       
There are some factors you can glean from the text files; there's a bonus to a player that has more than 1.5 times the force of the other (although I don't know quite how that's measured) and in Kingdoms a load of bonuses for the defender of a settlement, including extra if archers are present. The defence bonus seems to be negated if gates are opened by spies (or possibly just if your opponent is the Turks; I should probably fight someone else in hotseatA...). I personally try not to attack a settlement without at least twice the size army as the defender on autoresolve, there seems to be a benefit of besieging longer and building more siege equipment (I think).

I think the battle strength/odds bar is generally reflective of but not the same as what will happen in battle so there are probably different measures used.

I think the various bonuses ought to be taken into account. There some assumption about how many volleys archers get off before engagement (again in the text files) indicating it's at least moderately complex.
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 14 December 2012 15:06 EDT (US)     3 / 3       
Yep, beseiging longer causes losses to the beseiged every turn, definately worth it lest they have reinforcements.

The main things I want to know is wether AP(Armour-Piercing), attack range, AC(anti-cav), different defenses(The whole stuff about missiles ignore skill, guns have ap ignore sheild and skill), morale, reload time, # of men in the units, Extra-Hitpoint units, and the movement speed of units(especially cavalry) are taken into account by auto-resolve.

If it is just simply taking the stats, stacking them against each other, and applying bonuses then I am totally doing everything wrong, because when I build armies, I choose which units to use based on speed, AP, range, morale, upkeep, and of course stats too but paying attention to the different types of defense. And decide which units are worth using by cost vs. overall effectiveness.

If the full stack of cavalry gets beat by 8 cannons, then my logic of auto-resolve needs to go out the window...

Edit: SwampRat, You know if the seige defender bonus from archers applies to all/other ranged units, Javs? Crossbows? Seige weapons?

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli

[This message has been edited by Kilij Ae Varyl (edited 12-14-2012 @ 03:19 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames