You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Strategy Discussion » recruiting army : profit??
Bottom
Topic Subject:recruiting army : profit??
michael js
Legionary
posted 17 April 2013 09:35 EDT (US)         
Hi everybody, I'm a newcomer of M2 TW, maybe it's very late to play this game, but I like this game. I'm now start with England, difficulty easy/easy, turn 89, and got about 20+ teritory, from all British island, France, and some Holylands region (Antioch, and some kind of castles near Damascus I forget it's name). I'm at war with : Holy Roman, Turks, Egypt, Moors, and Milan,. My alliances just : Byzantine and Papal States. I'm also got about 9000 florins per turn. I don't know why, I'm very like recruting army, so I always don't have enough money to upgrade to huge city/citadel. And does my nation wealth is quite good for that situations?
The question : Should I upgrade them first to Citadel/huge city, or just continue to recruit army and building such great market, dockyard, and any profitable builiding?
Any answers will be great and pleasure. Thanks.
AuthorReplies:
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 17 April 2013 10:13 EDT (US)     1 / 8       
Hello, and welcome to the forums!
I'm also got about 9000 florins per turn. I don't know why, I'm very like recruting army, so I always don't have enough money to upgrade to huge city/citadel. And does my nation wealth is quite good for that situations?
The question : Should I upgrade them first to Citadel/huge city, or just continue to recruit army and building such great market, dockyard, and any profitable builiding?
Any answers will be great and pleasure. Thanks.
So you're saying you get 9K a turn despite all the building you're doing? Great job, especially with your impressive war list (granted, it's on easy, but still, it shows you're learning rather well).

If you're not being overwhelmed with armies in all directions and need to recruit to replenish losses, then sure- go for the Citadel. It'll let you recruit the awesome top tier units (retinue Longbows, nyom nyom nyom) and is a pretty good investment.
That said, if you're running on empty in terms of a couple of stacks getting worn down, go for recruitment first, you've got the cash.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
SongsOfBeitar
Legionary
posted 17 April 2013 11:03 EDT (US)     2 / 8       
I always make growing the economy my top priority. Usually doing a mixture of recruitment and farm/mine/market/dock building it's good practice not to inflate the size of your army beyond the size of your what finances can handle. For me, upgrading cities/castles into their higher forms always comes first partially because of the money boost and military boost bust also because to keep the people happy. A city that has the option to upgrade but lays fallow will start to get unhappy (I think because of overcrowding). This will become especially true when you play higher difficulties where the game lowers your people's overall happiness.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 17 April 2013 13:53 EDT (US)     3 / 8       
I would recommend keeping on building, even if it requires saving up for a couple of turns. Huge cities can generate a lot more income than smaller ones, whereas if you spend cash on troops that are just going to sit around unused then that will cost you more in upkeep.

There is some argument against paying for the higher tiers of market buildings - if you use the settlement details scroll you can see the expected increase in income from new buildings (if you hover the cursor over the greyed out symbols in each row it shows you the expected future level based on all current buildings in the building queue completing, compared to the current values that show if you hover over the full symbols) and the increase in trade income you get from the high level markets is quite low compared to the very high cost. I still go for them personally, but there's much more value in adding a port or a merchant's wharf to a settlement than there is in adding a merchant's quarter.
michael js
Legionary
posted 17 April 2013 17:20 EDT (US)     4 / 8       
Thanks for your reply. I'm now just expand army in Holy Lands. Ok, I think I will go for the wall/citadel upgrade first. My squallor also make my happiness down to about 100 percent (loyalty : content). After I upgrade the wall to max upgrade, does the squallor still growth to 80 percent? My city in Antioch get problem, they 'disillusioned' (or something with loyalty blue face), many problem occur in there, such distance to capital 50 percent, duo unrest, but I don't remember does the squallor still growth (sorryy). Any suggestion? Thanks.
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 17 April 2013 17:41 EDT (US)     5 / 8       
After I upgrade the wall to max upgrade, does the squallor still growth to 80 percent?
Yes, although it gets harder and harder for it to reach that state.
many problem occur in there, such distance to capital 50 percent, duo unrest
Unrest-wise, it may be caused by enemy spies. Station some of your own in the cities to catch them out.

As for distance to capital, well, that's the beauty of total war games. Unless the main body of your land is in the east, however (which may be the case should you get Antioch down to Egypt and only have the UK) I'd keep your capital in the west in the middle of your most profitable land.
If it's still in London I may suggest putting it further down to Paris.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
michael js
Legionary
posted 17 April 2013 18:21 EDT (US)     6 / 8       
My capital now at Caen(still fortress), what is profit a city being a capital city?
SongsOfBeitar
Legionary
posted 17 April 2013 18:34 EDT (US)     7 / 8       
Capital doesn't offer anything additional to the city/castle besides extra happiness to its population.
Some one had a similar question but regarding Rome tw. I'm pretty sure the mechanics are the same: thread over here.
michael js
Legionary
posted 18 April 2013 05:19 EDT (US)     8 / 8       
Ok, seems capital quite (but not too) important things in M2 TW. I have another question, I"m always have general for battle (I think they will feel unappreciated if I just place them in a settlement), so I try to find some 'dirty work' for them (so they will have a good trait and retinue) . So, do I need : 2 general per division or 1 general per division? But I think 1 general per division will make very expansive but very strong to expand my teritory. What else you should suggest? Sorry for my stupid questions. Thanks
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames