Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Psychological Warfare
Bottom
Topic Subject:Psychological Warfare
PraeQuae
Legionary
posted 24 July 2011 04:22 EDT (US)         
Hey guys, something pretty cool I was trying tonight in my Germania campaign:

Screeching Women + Berkserkers + Warhounds + Fire Arrows

I keep insta-routing enemy units almost before we close combat. It's definitely a different and less costly way to fight. I suppose it wouldn't work against high quality troops or in a siege battle, though.
AuthorReplies:
Maniple
Legionary
posted 26 July 2011 07:06 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Well, it is a good way to fight. Another one is to recruit loads of peasants from an overcrowded city and line them up in a big mass and use flame arrows against your enemy with elite troops behind them. This makes the enemy feel threatened by the number of enemies.

Another way is to form a Triangle with weak troops at the front. The enemy forces his ways through and they end up being threatened by attacks on flanks.

"If you are a good general, come and fight me!": Pompaedius Silo
"If you are a good general, make me fight if I don't want to!": Gaius Marius
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 26 July 2011 10:07 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
It seems you have found something close to the German Scare Square

Germania is really the only faction that can successfully scare the enemy to death.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
PraeQuae
Legionary
posted 26 July 2011 13:06 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
Wow, good read.

Since the AI doesn't use a whole lot of archers, my strategy is a lot simpler than that. Also, why doesn't the scare square use night raiders instead of Chosen Axemen? Night Raiders have better defense and add to the scaring potential.
Another way is to form a Triangle with weak troops at the front. The enemy forces his ways through and they end up being threatened by attacks on flanks.
Dude, that's genius.

So basically

Weak_Weak_Weak_Weak_Weak_Weak_Weak
Elite____________________________Elite
_____Elite_________________Elite_____
__________Elite_______Elite__________
______________Elite__________________

And when they force their way throw the front they're automatically flanked?

[This message has been edited by PraeQuae (edited 07-26-2011 @ 01:30 PM).]

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 26 July 2011 14:28 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
It's a bit like what hannibal did at cannae. Only that was a curved bow formation. The curve faced the romans, but was expected to break so that the romans found themselves surrounded at the flanks.
Maniple
Legionary
posted 28 July 2011 06:35 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
That's where I got my inspiration from...

"If you are a good general, come and fight me!": Pompaedius Silo
"If you are a good general, make me fight if I don't want to!": Gaius Marius
minion of war
Legionary
posted 10 August 2011 22:09 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
thats so awesome

it doesn't always work lost a lot of troops last night.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.-Bill Cosby
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein
Crowded elevators smell different to midgets

[This message has been edited by minion of war (edited 08-11-2011 @ 10:45 AM).]

richardson30
Legionary
posted 19 August 2011 12:38 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
i use the scare square almost religiously. and only just read about it. haha i use archers as my "offensive" unit, phalanx's as my "defensive" units and beserkers or night raiders to scare off my opponent. though i must say that in my opinion, the best product of this, is that the archers level up VERY fast. soo you'll have archers with 15+ missile attack. which can do some big damage to almost any unit. and if you mix the beserkers with night raiders it can actually save a bit of the beserkers from archers. im gona try that triangle thing tonight though.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames