You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome Strategy Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » Trouble with coastal towns as Julii
Bottom
Topic Subject:Trouble with coastal towns as Julii
brianiangoodman
Legionary
posted 02 November 2011 17:32 EDT (US)         
I had a great plan for my new Julii campaign. First, after taking Segeste, I would take the cities in the Po River Valley, and then Massalia. The I would fortify my position by building forts at the river cross near Massalia, the passes through the Alps, and the narrow coastline at the head of the Adriatic sea. With that, I would wait until my cities were built up and I gained the Marian Reforms, and then I would recruit two large legionary armies, one to conquer Gaul and Spain, and the other to conquer Germania and Britannia.

Things were going according to plan, however the Gauls did something I did not expect. I expected them to attack me at the ford near Massalia, and attempt to pass through the Alps there on their way to invading the Po river valley. Because of this I also built a fort in the passage, and both forts had large garrisons.

While exploring the seas with the my boats, I discovered that they had built a port outside of Nabo Maartus. I didn't think much of it, however should have realized what's going on, because a few turns later, I discovered a large Gaullic army landing from their ship near my coastal town of Segeste, which was pretty much undefended. I Knew then that I would lose Segeste, because my armies were to far away. They took Segeste with ease and then marched on Arretium, my capitol, also undefended (segeste and arretium and Arrinium all had only two units of Town Guards as garrisons.

So they question is what did I do wrong, and what can I do to protect my coastal towns far away from my fortified borders.

Golden Rules of Compainging:
1. It's the Economy
2. Controlled Expansion
3. Keeping Momentum
AuthorReplies:
Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 02 November 2011 18:40 EDT (US)     1 / 5       
I'd say pre-marian armies are still quite strong enough to take on the Gauls and every other civ as well.

But if you do decide to dig in and wait for the marian reforms, you'll probably have to few cities to support many large armies. Since you took Massilia, guarding the bridge will be you best choice. If they land behind you near massilia the army guarding the bridge can still act.

The other cities should at least be walled. That will give you 1 or 2 turns to move your armies to the point of crisis. Perhaps, rather than splitting forces to defend all alpine access points (2 to the north, 1 to the east near patavium) just have one big army at the bridge between mediolanum and patavium. They can reach the coast fast and attack every enemy coming through the alps.

By the way, unless difficulty is really low, 1 army to capture iberia and Gaul (same for Germania and britannia) will probably not be sufficient. You'll take at least some losses from enemy armies. Any taken cities will need garrisons, both for defence against counterattacks and to prevent riots. And when your main army moves on to another enemy town, a counterattack army might retake the city you just moved away from. I usually use at least 2 attack forces, preferably with 2 generals units per army (their like tanks )
Agrippa 271
Legionary
posted 02 November 2011 20:39 EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Try upgrading the defenses of your cities as quickly as possible. And also, build a large navy. Then blockade any Gaulic ports and destroy their fleets. Then you should be fine.

Death is a (vastly) preferable alternative to communism.
"Idiocy knows no national or cultural borders. Stupidity can strike anyone, anywhere." -- Terikel
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 02 November 2011 23:03 EDT (US)     3 / 5       
Controlling the sea is key to winning with just about any faction, so build ships, blockade their ports, and wipe out any boats they may have. Even biremes can usually take out an equal number of boats.
Also, it pays to have at least some good troops in all of your cities. Even if it's only a unit or two to stiffen up the line.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Punic Hebil
Centurion
(id: Punic Hoplite)
posted 02 November 2011 23:34 EDT (US)     4 / 5       
What I would have done is make forts in the Alpine passes, with a unit of peasants as the garrisons. The cities of Italia and the Po Valley would be protected be a single stack of troops, to be used against any invader, be it by sea or marching Hannibal style into Italy. That way you have 5 some cities supporting only 2 stacks, one by Massilia, one in Italy on the Po bridge.

As for a fix to your current problem: make a rag tag army from scratch from Mediolanium and Patavium and march on Segesta. Bring an army from Massilia or wherever it might be to reinforce yourself if you don't feel confident in winning.

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
richardson30
Legionary
posted 04 November 2011 15:09 EDT (US)     5 / 5       
one thing you could do when really spread out is to recruit about a half stack of just horses. then have that unit kinda patrol the borders. they will be able to move through your land very quickly and should still be able to buy you some time to get your main army back to the place in need in time. and against gauls this should work. against hoplite armies you might have a problem but its still fairly cheap and does a pretty good job.

only after you've lost everything, can you have anything.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames