Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome Strategy Discussion » The Switch
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Switch
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 07 December 2015 14:47 EDT (US)         
Ave

So when the Marian reforms come a-swinging around, obviously the Romans change bodyguards to the Armoured version.
So I'd expect the switch to look like this:

Roman: Bodyguard ----> Armoured Bodyguard

Greek: Bodyguard ----> Armoured Bodyguard

Eastern (Pontic): Is it the same? I can't remember but it seems like their Eastern General doesn't get an Armoured version - I think it's just the same (along with the javelins) but slightly buffed stats?

Eastern: Bodyguard ----> Armoured Bodyguard

Barbarian (except Britannia): Warlord ----> Chosen Warlord(?) Is this correct? Or is the Chosen Warlord only for the faction heir/leader?

Carthage/Numidia: Bodyguard ----> Armoured Bodyguard

Egyptian: Chariot General ----> Cavalry General
(Personally I prefer the Cav General because they're easier to kill)

On a side note: do you prefer Cav or Chariot Generals for Egypt?

Papers, please.
AuthorReplies:
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
(id: Terikel706)
posted 08 December 2015 11:32 EDT (US)     1 / 11       
The Switch does not occur instantaneously, as far as I can recall. There is no magic wand which changes one to the other.

The Marian reform open up a whole new tech tree for the Romans (duh) as well as allowing the non-Romans to upgrade their generals. I don't recall the Magic Wand, (I do not pay attention to my foe's luggage, to be honest. I jsut slaughter them wholesale), but I was under the impression that NEW units coming into play would be of the new type. This I have seen with the Romans.

Mind you, by the time the Marian Reforms do come around, I am usually ready to wipe out my fellow Romans.

Or if playing as a German, the Romans usually die long before Marius.

So there might be a Magic Wand after all...

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 10 December 2015 00:29 EDT (US)     2 / 11       
There is a magic wand; when the Marian Reforms hit, all bodyguard units on the map change from one type to the other. Also, any bodyguard unit with 4 or more experience gets a boost, usually 3-4 chevrons, depending upon which faction they're from.

As for the Pontics, their pre-reform bodyguard and post-reform bodyguard are both called "Eastern General", but the pre-reform one looks like the Pontic Heavy Cavalry and has javelins, while the post-reform one looks more like Sarmatian Mercenaries and have spears.

The Britons don't appear to have their general's bodyguard change- at any rate, there isn't a different unit in the export_descr_unit file- but they do get the experience boost.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
"I like my enemies like James Bond likes his martinis- shaken, not stirred."
My first book, The King's Own
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 10 December 2015 15:03 EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Ave

I see... but what about Egypt? After the Marian reforms I expected chariots to come crashing into my legionaries but nope, all I found was Egyptian Cav Generals. Are they the post-Marius bodyguard?

(They're a lot easier to kill so I like them more)

Papers, please.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 December 2015 02:38 EDT (US)     4 / 11       
Yepp.

Post-Marian Egyptian Generals ride their horses.

This is why many playing as Egypt try to eliminate the Romans before Marius.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 11 December 2015 05:43 EDT (US)     5 / 11       
Mmm...

I do believe that some non factions get the ability to recruit local copies of legionnaires (if they have enough money, population and the right buildings)

It was partly because of my campaign that I got curious and decided to ask...

On a side note, I'm getting bogged down in my campaign. I've gained a large area of Asia Minor, not to mention I have Greece which pumps out money, (as the Brutii, again) and now I'm at war with Egypt because some stupid Julii admiral called me in to a naval battle so....

Anyway I was fighting a siege battle in Tarsus (against Egypt) but then lunch commenced so I was forced to exit the battle and my armies were kicked out. Now a large Armenian army is parked right outside Sinope. Should I resiege Tarsus or attack the Armenians before Sinope falls?

Also, it's really annoying as the major troop-producing cities like Tylis and Pergamon and Halicarnassus are a long way from the front line and even with roads it takes a hell of a long time to march my armies over.

I find that I am having problems with Tanais. I moved my capital to Byzantium (now a huge city) which is in the centre of my realm but Tanais just won't behave! Even with troops inside it's only a yellow face which is annoying.

If I captured Londinium would it be too far from my capital in Byzantium? If so, that would mean waiting for the adequate pop so I can build Auxilia and Archer Auxilia (the only Roman troops that I find are good for garrisons).

Papers, please.

[This message has been edited by Mons Badonicus (edited 12-11-2015 @ 05:56 AM).]

Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 11 December 2015 09:57 EDT (US)     6 / 11       
Some factions do have legionaries- notable the Seleucid Silver Shield and the Numdians, if they live that long. The Seleucid legionaries are not too bad, but the Numidian ones are trash.

Save Sinope first. Tarsus is not going anywhere, but Sinope is usually a large or huge city with lots of abilities and manpower. Keep that. You can always wreck Tarsus another day.

Tanais: what is the tax level there? Lower it a notch if possible. Then build an army and send it there, ready to storm adn exterminate the rebel city. For it will rebel, so be ready.

Lord Ahm wrote a wonderful treatise on management. You can find it here.

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 11 December 2015 18:21 EDT (US)     7 / 11       
I do believe that some non factions get the ability to recruit local copies of legionnaires (if they have enough money, population and the right buildings)
As Terikel mentioned, Selucid Silver Shield Legionaries are quite good- same stats as a standard Roman Legionary. Numidian and Armenian Legionaries are pretty poor though; they have the same stats as Principes. Although, it does mean the Armenians can get better troops than just Eastern Infantry, so I suppose that's a plus.
but then lunch commenced so I was forced to exit the battle and my armies were kicked out.
I always make sure to save before a battle; that way, if something goes wrong, you can reload to before it happens.
Even with troops inside it's only a yellow face which is annoying.
Don't be worried about happiness until the face turns blue- and even then, you're okay at 75-80%. Also, try to build some of the more advanced stables and/or arenas; while it's expensive, staging games and races is one way to keep a lid on things for a little while.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." - Ronald Reagan
"Judge them not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 12 December 2015 16:34 EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Ave

Yeah, I'm building an Arena and a Temple of Mercury there but I want to move my troops out ASAP to crush what's left of the Scythians. Thing is, though, even on low tax and with a large garrison, I can get a yellow face at best.

Whoops, false alarm... I dunno what Armenia is trying to do. I think they might be trying to move armies from Kotais to Mazaka along the coastline, but to do that, they have to stop dangerously near Sinope. The other explanation is that the AI seems confused; I think it might be a bug or something but it keeps trying to move armies from Mazaka to Sinope to Kotais and back; or maybe they are trying to take Sinope; but then I move an army within the Sinope Region and the Armenians move away....

Also, any tips on what troops to bring to crush the Scythians? They've only got one settlement but I noticed that they have Head Hunting Maidens and Scythian Nobles which are far better than the cavalry that I can recruit in Tanais..... Mercenary-wise, I can only recruit a few units of Sarmatian and Scythian Mercs due to slow replenishment rate which is annoying.

I think infantry-wise, I should be fine; they probably only have a bunch of Barbarian Peasants inside the settlement.

I'm really pissed; Skippy got to the Nile before I did...

Papers, please.

[This message has been edited by Mons Badonicus (edited 12-12-2015 @ 05:05 PM).]

General Sajaru
Tribunus Laticlavius
posted 13 December 2015 00:23 EDT (US)     9 / 11       
Yeah, I'm building an Arena and a Temple of Mercury there but I want to move my troops out ASAP to crush what's left of the Scythians. Thing is, though, even on low tax and with a large garrison, I can get a yellow face at best.
If you want a low-cost solution, build up some peasants to garrison the city; they're also bigger units, which will help a little. Additionally, if you have a good family member somewhere close in a city that can afford to lose him, send him there.
Also, any tips on what troops to bring to crush the Scythians?
Eh, I wouldn't worry too much about their cavalry; see if you can pick up any mercenary pikes, but otherwise just stack up your legionaries and Praetorians and let them come at you. Make sure you have some Auxilia Archers to back them up and take out the Scythian Cavalry. Just don't get your Cavalry Auxilia tangled up with the Head Hunting Maidens.

Mons Badonicus
Legionary
posted 13 December 2015 06:42 EDT (US)     10 / 11       
Thanks. Are there any files I need to edit in order to rename cities? I tried clicking on the city names but nothing happened...
I read somewhere that I need to change a specific line in a specific file, but I don't really know. I would like to change the city names... generic names like Campus Scythii or Campus Getae just aren't good enough... Besides, they're cities now, not camps... I was thinking of renaming them to proper names like Scythinum, Getaenum, Vendium or something like that.

Papers, please.
Terikel Grayhair
Imperator
posted 13 December 2015 12:07 EDT (US)     11 / 11       
In your RTW folder, find the folder Preferences.

Copy the file Preferences.txt to somewhere else as a back up.

Open RTW\preferences\Preferences.txt

Go to bottom.

Find the line EDIT_SETTLEMENT_NAMES=FALSE

Edit to EDIT_SETTLEMENT_NAMES=TRUE.

Save.

Enjoy.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames