You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.48 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2 Multiplayer Discussion and Hotseat Forum » Westeros Total War hotseat!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Westeros Total War hotseat!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
The Great Monty
Legionary
(id: Monty501)
posted 05 May 2012 02:16 EDT (US)         
I have been playing this mod almost nonstop for the past few weeks and I absolutely love it. It's set in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin and has reinvigorated my interest in Medieval 2 total war. So I was wondering if anyone would care to join me in a hotseat play-through of the mod. Obviously this mainly for people familiar with the story but if there is anyone who is unfamiliar with them and =just wants to play a hotseat you are welcome to play too (I can fill you in on the background if you would like).

Anyway you can get the mod here

In addition you will need the enhanced submod to play hotseats and that can be found here

Anyhizzle, if anyone is interested just say so, we will work out the rules later on. Ideally we would like be able to fill up all ten factions but understandably that may not be possible.

Factions:
Stark/ Tully:
Renly/ Tyrell: TheGreatMonty
Joffrey/ Lannister: Kilij Ae Varyl
Stannis:
Iron Islands:
Dorne:
The Vale of Arryn:

I will fight for Total War Heaven.

Will You?

[This message has been edited by The Great Monty (edited 05-07-2012 @ 06:39 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 05 May 2012 04:25 EDT (US)     1 / 48       
Ooh. Is it a properly completed mod or kind of half completed?

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 05 May 2012 04:46 EDT (US)     2 / 48       
Still in alpha unfortunately so it still has a few minor problems (particularly not changing the audio) but it's still very good.

Will You?
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 05 May 2012 08:00 EDT (US)     3 / 48       
I actually have this mod, the submod, reading Game of Thrones, and watching the series on HBO. I would gladly join the hotseat.

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli
The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 05 May 2012 08:38 EDT (US)     4 / 48       
Excellent glad to see another fan. I'm just coming off reading all five books in a five week binge, whilst playing this mod in my spare time.

With factions shall we combine allied factions such as Renly and the Tyrells, The Starks and the Tullys, The Lannisters and Joffrey, so that one player plays both of them. That way they could control allied armies simultaneously.

The faction list could be:
Stark/ Tully
Lannister/ Joffrey
Tyrell/ Renly
Stannis
Arryn
Dorne
Iron Islands

Or would people prefer to just go with ten factions?

Will You?

[This message has been edited by The Great Monty (edited 05-05-2012 @ 08:39 AM).]

Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 05 May 2012 09:36 EDT (US)     5 / 48       
Seem's like a pretty good idea, could I take the Joffrey and Lannister bundle? I just hope I don't get crushed between the Stark Tully Bundle and the Renly Tyrell Bundle should they be chosen. But I'm brave and will support the King of the Seven.

What are the Hotseat details/settings?

"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli

[This message has been edited by Kilij Ae Varyl (edited 05-05-2012 @ 09:37 AM).]

The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 05 May 2012 10:39 EDT (US)     6 / 48       
I'm trying to decide between Stark/ Tully, Renly/ Tyrells and possibly the Iron Islands just for something different to what I've usually been doing, I'll get back to you with my decision.

Ok hotseat rules/ settings.
I'm thinking H/H difficulty.
Auto-resolve all battles
There is a glitch where ships in a blockaded port can leave without fighting the ships blockading the port, don't exploit this.
The usual no exploitation about merchant forts and surrounding agents to kill them.
No adoptions, aside from the hatred I've always had for them I think here in particular they will ruin the effect of the mod. You don't see Tywin Lannister going out and picking new sons. Getting generals through marriage is allowed however.
Anything else you think I've missed?

Will You?

[This message has been edited by The Great Monty (edited 05-05-2012 @ 10:42 AM).]

Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 05 May 2012 11:14 EDT (US)     7 / 48       
Nice, I actually was coinsidering the Ironbloods earlier when you first mentioned the hotseat, they look like they'd be fun, and I kinda like how different they are from the others peoples of Westeros, both in lore and in the mod(Danish roster and Drowned God). Ultimately I choose my current bundle due to some of my favorite characters are in it, like Jaime, Tyrion, the Clegane Bros., Lancel, Tywin, and believe it or not, though there's not much to be 'liked' about him, Joffery is surely an intresting character.

H/H seems ideal and I'm fine with autoresolve. No exploits is implied. I too dislike adoption, strategically, it lowers the loyalty of family members, and lorewise seems wrong.

EnemyofJupitor
HG Alumnus Superbus
posted 05 May 2012 12:59 EDT (US)     8 / 48       
Still in alpha unfortunately so it still has a few minor problems (particularly not changing the audio) but it's still very good.
Ah, I can fiddle with audio files just fine
I'll have a look after exams...

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 05 May 2012 23:53 EDT (US)     9 / 48       
They're reportedly getting people to do voice acting now so we should soon stop having people praise Christendom and such .

After doing a tryout campaign of the Iron Islands I've decided it's not for me. I'm going to go with Renly/ Tyrells and slaughter everyone with my massive army.

Will You?
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 06 May 2012 14:28 EDT (US)     10 / 48       
I've not got the mod and haven't read the books or seen the telly programme - happy to make up numbers if you'd like (assuming the TATW hotseat is dead).

You should probably set up admin mode to allow you to add/remove players as you go, just in case you hadn't thought of it.
The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 07 May 2012 06:36 EDT (US)     11 / 48       
Yeah sure Swampy you're welcome to play I'll fill you in on the background at some point.

I'm assuming there is no particular faction you want so I'll assign you a random one once we've settled out who's playing if you don't mind.

I think I'll give this a couple more days to see if we get any more players before we just go with what we've got.

Will You?

[This message has been edited by The Great Monty (edited 05-07-2012 @ 06:41 AM).]

The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 21 May 2012 01:37 EDT (US)     12 / 48       
Ok shall we begin this? Just to double check the people willing to play are me, Kilij Ae Varyl, EOJ and Swamprat?

Will You?
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 21 May 2012 02:55 EDT (US)     13 / 48       
Fine with me; I had a bit of a play on the mod - the faction I tried seemed quite strong compared to its neighbours. I think it was the Joffry one. It might be that Stanis(?) have more than the settlements in the bay.

Anyway, is there any limit on human v human fighting? There aren't rebels that I saw so it could be quite sensible to not have any limits and if someone loses quickly they can just switch faction.

Autoresolve or battlemap fighting?
The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 21 May 2012 03:26 EDT (US)     14 / 48       
I was thinking autoresolve battles.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by limit on human fighting. But if my guess is correct you should be able to attack humans at any time.

Also there should be no combat for the first turn because House Tully is in a position where their main army and faction leader can be slaughtered before their first turn.

Will You?
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 21 May 2012 14:44 EDT (US)     15 / 48       
That seems reasonable. If you'd like us to follow themes from the book (e.g. roleplaying or having a near suicidal hatred of particular factions) then I'd be happy to oblige, but I'd need to be given instructions... I will read the book when it's available at my local library - but that might be a little while
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 21 May 2012 22:37 EDT (US)     16 / 48       
Alright, I'm still here. Long post imminent

I like fighting battles out, but I'm ok with autoresolve too. It's not like the rosters are very diverse(yet), so no faction has any real special units that would cause unbalance in battles. I mean, in the retrofit hotseat, I believe the argument for autoresolve was the focus on diplomacy, and in this mod the diplomacy is kinda laid-out for most factions.

Regardless to that, I think roleplaying it would be great. Especially since I chose my combo for it's characters, and acting a certain character from the faction in messages would be nice. Like sending a message to Dorne as Tyrion or something like that.

The 1-turn peace seems fair, I mean, I actually have done just that as the Lannister's before, so I know what you mean.

Just wanted to bring some ideas to the table...

Anything else we need to discuss? Should we do AARs?

With the plots and characters of the Series, I see this hotseat has alot of potential depending on how we play it.

The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 22 May 2012 02:47 EDT (US)     17 / 48       
I'm sure people would appreciate AARs if you write them but they are very time consuming so they aren't compulsory.

The Roleplaying thing can be another option but again not compulsory. You are welcome to send messages to Dorne as Tyrion Lannister.

Ok Quick Background on the relations of the different houses.

House Joffrey is basically an extension of house Lannister. The two are very closely allied and that is why they are played by the same people in this. Joffrey's Mother has the Queen and husband to King Robert. Joffrey and his brother Tommen however are secretly illegitimate sons of The Queen and Her twin brother Jaime Lannister. This means that they have no real claim to the throne (though people believe they do). Due to a long and complicated series of events, The Lannister Lord, Tywin, has invaded the Riverlands, along with his Son Jaime attacking from the other side.

Because of this, along with his father's imprisonment and excecution at the hands of House Lannister Robb Stark, lord of the North has gathered his forces and marched South to aid the Riverlands and House Tully (his mothers house so another very close alliance). The Starks can declare indepepndance but that would eliminate an alliance with Stannis and Renly.

Stannis Baratheon is the rightful heir to the dead king Robert and is Lord of Dragonstone and the islands in blackwater bay. His troops are limited and has to rely mostly on sellswords, though his navy is the best in the game. He hates the Lannisters and would never ally with them. If Robb Starks does not declare his independance then an Alliance with the North is possible. An alliance with his brother Renly would be possible but only if one of them takes back their claim to the throne.

Stannis' younger brother Renly Baratheon, Lord of the Stormlands, believes he can be a better King than Stannis. He is king in the South with House Tyrell's support. He won't ally with the Lannisters unless they bend the knee and acknowledge him as King. The same goes with his brother Stannis. An alliance with The North is entirely possible if Robb Stark does not declare independence.

Balon Greyjoy has proclaimed himself King of the Iron islands. He has a few castles and quite a few soldiers nad can pretty much attack wherever he wants. However Balon would consider it weak to make any alliances so those are pretty much off the charts.

The other two houses are neutral, Dorne and House Arryn

Dorne hate the Lannisters because they murdered the sister of the current faction leader. They also have a long history of war with the Tyrells and the Stormlands so an alliance with Renly his very unlikely.

The Vale of Arryn is tied by marrige to both house Stark and House Tully and so would most likely join them. However the mother of the current young lord is very protective and ideally wouldn't like to risk his life by joining the War.

Just outlined the basic rules of who can ally to who please try to obey them for the first part of the campaign anyway.

Also for all factions you will be asked to become King quite often. In order to keep with the theme please only do it if you are Renly, Stannis, house Greyjoy, House Joffrey, House Martell (unlikely but understandable) or House Stark until the later stages of the campaign.

If you are Renly Stannis Joffrey or Balon, you must declare yourself King. If you are house stark or Martell, it is optional. The other houses not until they campaign has developed.

Anything I missed?

Will You?

[This message has been edited by The Great Monty (edited 05-22-2012 @ 02:48 AM).]

Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 22 May 2012 06:40 EDT (US)     18 / 48       
Not much.

Joffrey is already declared king from start of the game anyway. Lannister and Joffrey can't claim kingship again until Joffrey is dead.

Also I think it would be nice to better explain claiming kingship.

What I got from it is that any faction who claims kingship gets traits and retinue for the Faction Leader. You declare war on the king and all others who declare kingship.

I might be missing stuff though...

The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 22 May 2012 06:51 EDT (US)     19 / 48       
Ok Well I don't think EoJ will be availabe so Swampy would you like to play Stark/ Tully. If you would prefer to do someone else that's fine but one of us needs to play Stark Tully because other wise the Starks all retreat to the North and the Lannisters win easily.

Will You?
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 22 May 2012 07:33 EDT (US)     20 / 48       
EoJ has exams on currently but I was expecting him back for hotseatA in the near future - do you have any details on his unavailability, or just going off a lack of reply here?

I'm happy with Stark/Tully and not retreating. Where you've got several factions lined up to be played together, will they come in the right order? I'd be sort of a pain in the bottom to have to cycle through (for example) you, me, Kilij, you, EoJ, me, Kilij within a single turn.
If Stark and Tully aren't next to each other in the turn order (I don't remember if the hotseat order follows the order of selection for the hotseat or the standard faction order; you can change it a bit with admin mode by adding some of the human controlled factions later, which would push them to the end of the list) then I'd rather only play one faction since I can't promise to have a very reliable schedule of availability so might cause a bit of a delay.
I assume having a human Stark and AI Tully would be impractical as it'd do something stupid to get itself killed - or could it work?
The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 22 May 2012 08:14 EDT (US)     21 / 48       
I could play Stark/Tully to make things easier. On the subject of turn order, I'll have a look at changing the files tomorrow and see if I can get the same people together.

Will You?
The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 23 May 2012 03:51 EDT (US)     22 / 48       
OK got it in a good turn order.
Lannister/ Joffrey
Renly/Tyrell
Stark/Tully

Everyone else.

All you need to do is replace the descr_Strat file in the mod. Shall I email the one I just did to you all?

Will You?
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 23 May 2012 06:19 EDT (US)     23 / 48       
If you left the remaining factions alone, I could probably get it myself, but If you want to send it just in case. Also, kilij45@gmail.com is my email if you didn't know or didn't look at it in another hotseat.

The Great Monty
Legionary
posted 27 May 2012 23:42 EDT (US)     24 / 48       
Sorry for the delay guys. I had some internet problems but everything is sorted out now. I've sent the files to Swampy and Kilij.

One other thing I think we should bring up is whether or not we should be allowed to destroy buildings. Since they take so long to build in this game destroying any building will severely weaken the settlement. However it allows you to truly cause mass amounts of devastation throughout enemy lands, that will take them years to recover from, pretty much what Tywin Lannister was doing in the Riverlands.

Up to you.

Will You?
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
posted 28 May 2012 00:26 EDT (US)     25 / 48       
I think it does fit the lore, and if deemed necessary, any house would probably destroy buildings. It also makes defense important. I mean, the way regular damage of buildings can be repaired in one(0) turn up to the end of the building que is kinda unrealistic. This would be real damage that would take a long time to repair. If that seems unbalanced, than maybe certain buildings can't be demolished.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames