You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion » Kingdoms Update Released
Bottom
Topic Subject:Kingdoms Update Released
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 10 April 2008 13:03 EDT (US)         
Hi guys,

I am pleased to report that the Medieval II: Kingdoms Update is now available to download from the below mirror sites. Please ensure that you download the correct version and only get the Gold version if you have Medieval II: Gold Edition.

UK Gold Version:
Strategy Informer
Worth Playing
Gamershell
Internode

DE Gold Edition:
Worth Playing
Gamershell
Internode

FR Gold Edition
Worth Playing
Gamershell
Internode

IT Gold Edition
Gamershell
Internode

ES Gold Edition
Gamershell
Internode

European Version:
Strategy Informer
Worth Playing
Gamershell
Internode

US Version
Worth Playing
Gamershell
Internode

Please stay tuned to TotalWar.com as I will be posting more mirror links as they become available.
The official update includes the following fixes:

- Forts in the Crusades campaign are now made of stone.
- Fixed various units having incorrect shield values.
- Fixed a number of inconsistencies between units' speech and their unit cards.
- Fixed deployment zones being in unreachable locations on some river crossings and bridge battles.
- Byzantine Gunners are now available to be recruited in the Crusades campaign.
- Denmark now has Norwegian units available to them when the Kalmar Union is formed.
- The Kingdom of Jerusalem can now construct King's Stables.
- Byzantine can now construct a Marksmanship Range.
- Mangonels can now be constructed at Siege Works in the Teutonic campaign.
- Swordsmiths' Guild Headquarters now gives the correct bonus to Knights trained in the Crusades campaign.
- Fixed Lithuanian Arquebusiers firing too frequently.
- Fixed various units having incorrect banners on the battle map.
- Fixed exploit that allowed certain characters' stats to be raised by repeatedly saving the game.
- New Faction Leaders in the Teutonic campaign now have the correct model.
- Crusading Nobles can no longer become the Faction Leader in the Teutonic campaign.
- Fixed Wales not receiving reinforcements when capturing bordering English settlements.
- Requirements of various Apachean units have been reduced allowing them to be more easily obtained.
- Fixed the Norwegian banners displaying the Novgorod symbol when out of fog of war.
- The Baron's Alliance no longer re-emerges after taking control of England.
- Assassination missions targeting Crusading Nobles no longer expire when they are successfully carried out.
- Dead wives no longer produce children in the Crusades campaign.
- Faction heirs in the Americas campaign have had their loyalty increased to fix them rebelling early in the game.
- Players no longer receive incorrect event messages in hotseat games.
- Unique models on characters are removed when they change faction.
- Fixed the family tree disappearing when a princess is married to General who becomes the Faction Leader.
- Fixed Scottish family tree in the Britannia campaign.
- Fixed soft-lock that occurred with multiple armies on the battle map.
- Fixed crash that occurred when disbanding a unit whilst merging two armies.
- Crash after auto-resolving a siege battle from a hotseat save game no longer occurs.
- Crash that occurred when loading a battle from the campaign map edge no longer occurs.
- Kingdoms no longer crashes when playing battles after unpacking the game's data.
- Fixed unique unit recruitment in the Crusades campaign.
- Small black rectangles no longer appear on the campaign map.
- Improved siege auto-resolve for the Britannia, Crusades and Teutonic campaigns.
- Various localisation fixes.

There are also a number of miscellaneous fixes and balance tweaks included.

Thanks,

Mark O'Connell
(aka SenseiTW)
Apparently, there have been some issues with installing it so install with caution as CA are looking into the problems. I won't be downloading it just yet.
Saved games from 1.4 are apparently not compatible btw.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

AuthorReplies:
Primo
Legionary
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 10 April 2008 16:18 EDT (US)     1 / 28       
Doesn't appear to remove SecuROM entries when uninstalled then, pity...

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
Medio
Legionary
(id: Mediolanus)
posted 10 April 2008 16:30 EDT (US)     2 / 28       
This looks like one big bug fix.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 10 April 2008 16:42 EDT (US)     3 / 28       
If there are any issues with installing the patch here, report them in this thread and we'll bring CA's attention to them.

-Love Gaius

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw

Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 10 April 2008 18:55 EDT (US)     4 / 28       
Awesome. The deployment zone and stone forts in Crusades are perhaps my most wanted fixes.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 10 April 2008 19:15 EDT (US)     5 / 28       
Reading elsewhere on the net, some people seem to be having serious problems running and/or installing the patch so do exercise caution and back up your game first.

-Love Gaius

Smileyman007
Legionary
posted 10 April 2008 23:51 EDT (US)     6 / 28       
To sum the most recent issue up:

It looks like the #1 problem is an issue where people try to install the patch and they get the following error message:

[JPEG, (158.52 KB)]

(note: picture is courtesy of Yakaspat, NOT me)

I myself have seen this. After a ton of complaining and shouting that did no one any good, and with no confirmation from CA (other than that there is a problem and they are looking into it), there are two prevailing opinions:

1) the patch released for the US is really the UK patch with the wrong name, or
2) someone recently postulated that the error messages may not actually be failures -- in other words, the error message may appear but the patch is really installed. Apparently they continued with the installation and thought they saw something that might have indicated the patch actually installed correctly.

I have the US version, so I'm currently uninstalling everything related to M2TW and Kingdoms, reinstalling, and I'll see if opinion #2 is correct. It looks like there are two things that can be easily checked:
1) Byzantines can build marksman ranges (checked with building browser)
2) catapult workshops in Teutonic can build mangonels

Hopefully I'll post with results shortly.

EDIT: Partial results are in. It looks like the patch installs some of the listed fixes, but not all of them. For example, forts in Crusades are now stone. Byzantines can build Marksmanship Ranges, factions in the Teutonic campaign can train mangonels at Catapult Ranges. But other fixes are not applied, such as Welsh reinforcements when they capture an English border settlement, and the shield values for some units have not been updated (such as Gultine's Chosen for the Lithuanians).

I'm sure more information will spill out in the next day or two. It's 6 am in the UK so they'll be awake soon...

No, I'm not being sarcastic.

[This message has been edited by Smileyman007 (edited 04-11-2008 @ 01:04 AM).]

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 11 April 2008 07:29 EDT (US)     7 / 28       
I installed the UK edition (non-gold version) without a hitch - although tbh I haven't run the game since to check that theres no weirdness going on. The process was itself nice and smooth with no troubles for me.
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 11 April 2008 13:02 EDT (US)     8 / 28       
Indeed, no troubles here.

A f t y

A A R S

Raptor X2000
Legionary
posted 11 April 2008 22:14 EDT (US)     9 / 28       
I did some snooping around to see what the hell is wrong with the patch, and it appears (don't quote me on this one, I can't comfirm it) that the US patches are patches for the US Gold Edition, and not for the Standard Editions of Kingdoms and M2. Apparently, the gold patch and the standard edition aren't compatible, hence all the trouble for Americans but none across the pond.

Again, I'm not sure if this is 100% true, but that seems to be the general concensus over at the CA forums.

Here's the topic, if you guys are interested:
http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/33549/t/Kingdoms-Update-Released.html?page=16

---M2TWH Inaugural Tournament Champion---

[This message has been edited by Raptor X2000 (edited 04-11-2008 @ 10:14 PM).]

Mythic_Commodore
Ministerialis
posted 12 April 2008 15:38 EDT (US)     10 / 28       
Do the Gold Edition patches fix the unpacker issue? That's all I ask.
EDIT: It seems it does. Gold Edition users can now unpack the Kingdoms campaigns!

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!

[This message has been edited by Mythic_Commodore (edited 04-13-2008 @ 12:23 PM).]

Smileyman007
Legionary
posted 14 April 2008 01:21 EDT (US)     11 / 28       
I did some snooping around to see what the hell is wrong with the patch, and it appears (don't quote me on this one, I can't comfirm it) that the US patches are patches for the US Gold Edition, and not for the Standard Editions of Kingdoms and M2. Apparently, the gold patch and the standard edition aren't compatible, hence all the trouble for Americans but none across the pond.
Exactly right. Someone out there decided to try switching some of the US Standard files with the US Gold files, and the patch applied fine.

That being said, there are still some issues that even the "working" patch didn't fix that they claim are fixed in the official list (shield values for some units, for example). So I wouldn't be surprised to see another patch released at some point.

Raptor X2000
Legionary
posted 15 April 2008 10:03 EDT (US)     12 / 28       
So I wouldn't be surprised to see another patch released at some point.
Frankly, with CA running the show, I would...

In any case, the US non-gold patch has been released to QA at Sega (can we really trust them though? I mean, shouldn't they be assuring the quality of the product through testing, hence, Quality Assurance? And, if that is what they're doing, how did they miss the fact that the original patch never worked?)

So, with any luck, we might see the patch before the end of April.

[This message has been edited by Raptor X2000 (edited 04-15-2008 @ 10:04 AM).]

Smileyman007
Legionary
posted 16 April 2008 00:46 EDT (US)     13 / 28       
Yeah, I hear you. Some of you may remember how I have defended them in the past (being a software tester myself and knowing that sometimes things slip through no matter what)...but installer test passes are easy and are one of the very first things you smoke/sanity test. Add on the fact that not all of the changes they said were made weren't actually implemented, and I'm not impressed.

That being said, if they release a US retail version of 1.05 that has everything in the change list then I'll be a super-happy camper.

Mazda
Legionary
posted 16 April 2008 21:04 EDT (US)     14 / 28       
Is the patch now safe to download?
Smileyman007
Legionary
posted 17 April 2008 04:46 EDT (US)     15 / 28       
If you have Kingdoms (USA) retail, then no. If you have the Gold edition (USA) then yes.

Mazda
Legionary
posted 17 April 2008 18:44 EDT (US)     16 / 28       
I have the UK basic version, I assume the Euro patch is for me;

I only have Britannia installed - Do I have to reapply the patch when I install more of the campaigns? Or will they already be updated?

---

Scratch that, it tells me at the end of the patch

[This message has been edited by Mazda (edited 04-17-2008 @ 06:44 PM).]

Raptor X2000
Legionary
posted 18 April 2008 15:40 EDT (US)     17 / 28       
Good news!
The US Regular Version is finally up!
Hooray!

And, Mazda, it'd probably be a good idea to run the patch every time you install another of the campaigns, just to be on the safe side.

Primo
Legionary
(id: Marcus Orentius)
posted 18 April 2008 16:24 EDT (US)     18 / 28       
It bewilders me how you can break a fix. M2TW In my opinion was CA's "We can't be arsed" phase.

Exilian - a website for mods for Mount&Blade, Rome Total War, Empire Total War and news about Shogun 2: Total War
"There is no extreme metal, death metal, progressive metal or vegetarian metal." - Tryhard
"Light infantry, rangers, and riflemen all have the unique ability to pull yard-long poles from their arseholes and plant them in order to stave off cavalry." - BurningSushi460
Smileyman007
Legionary
posted 18 April 2008 18:16 EDT (US)     19 / 28       
Well to be fair, it wasn't so much "broken" as it was they released one version under the wrong name (US Gold), and failed to release another version (US retail).

But yeah, someone should have definitely caught it before it went live.

kheldar
Legionary
posted 20 April 2008 16:04 EDT (US)     20 / 28       
Don't want to sound like a complete muppet but anyone out there able to tell me what to do once I have downloaded the RAR file, my PC doesn't want to know and has no program to associate it with. I assume everyone else has managed ok so would appreciate some advice.
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 20 April 2008 16:08 EDT (US)     21 / 28       
For rars, try WinRar, there should be a free trial of it about online thats reasonably easy to find. Its like a zip file but harder to make work... my free trial version warns me every time it runs that its expired and will now close, but it then forgets that and works fine :0)
Ibuprofen
Legionary
posted 20 April 2008 18:01 EDT (US)     22 / 28       
Don't get me wrong, I like the Sami Axmen I can now build, but has anyone else noticed markedly increased loading times since patching?

C13H18O2 <-- IBUPROFEN - ruining your life since 1969!

Hey, check out my AAR here!
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 20 April 2008 18:58 EDT (US)     23 / 28       
I'm a little confused. There's UK gold edition and european version. Is the euro version the non-gold UK version?

-Love Gaius

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 21 April 2008 03:25 EDT (US)     24 / 28       
yes, I think it lists the countries its for there
Ibuprofen
Legionary
posted 21 April 2008 17:42 EDT (US)     25 / 28       
Not only are the load times increased for me, but I've also noticed a lot more CTDs now, especially during sieges. Very irritating.

C13H18O2 <-- IBUPROFEN - ruining your life since 1969!

Hey, check out my AAR here!
Aftermath
HG Alumnus
posted 21 April 2008 18:00 EDT (US)     26 / 28       
I'm a little confused. There's UK gold edition and european version. Is the euro version the non-gold UK version?
Correct, at least I downloaded the Euro version for my non-gold Medieval II and it works just fine.

A f t y

A A R S

Zufios
Legionary
posted 21 April 2008 23:12 EDT (US)     27 / 28       
Downloaded the Euro version from strategy informer and it installed just fine onto my UK version. No problems for me. All good.
Gaius Colinius
Seraph Emeritus
posted 22 April 2008 07:57 EDT (US)     28 / 28       
Same here. Hasn't affected my retrofit saved game either. Now playing 1.5

-Love Gaius

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames