You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion
Moderated by SwampRat

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion » Tips for Lithuania
Bottom
Topic Subject:Tips for Lithuania
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 04 September 2011 12:00 EDT (US)         
I'm trying to play as Lithuania in the Teutonic campaign... and basically I'm finding it bloody impossible. Any broad tips and advice for where and how you should aim in the first few turns?

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
AuthorReplies:
Brutus93
Legionary
posted 04 September 2011 16:23 EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Get alliances with any faction that borders you that isn't the Teutnic Order. Sure, they might stab you in the back, but they're less likely to attack you straight from the off, allowing you to concentrate on fighting those pesky German crusaders. Also, focus on their Southern teritories first as that is their heartland; their Northern territories won't be pumping out stacks of uber troops. Also, in the North the Teutonic order has to deal with Denmark and Novgorod so they will probably be content to sit tight and defend, but in the South their only enemy is you. I might add though that I haven't finished a campiagn with Lithuania and have hardly touched the Teutonic Campaign compared to the Britannia and Crusades campaigns. I grew disillusioned when I formed the Kalmar Union with Denmark and all that happened was the flag changed.
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 05 September 2011 03:40 EDT (US)     2 / 7       
*like*

Thanks.

I only installed a couple of days ago because I'm interested in Lithuanian mythology. Nice to play a European pagan faction too, hide in the dark forests and pray to the ancient gods sort of thing...

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 05 September 2011 07:53 EDT (US)     3 / 7       
I didn't get overly far with this campaign (I'm sort of struggling to think of any of the Kingdoms games I gave a fair run to, perhaps Britannia but then only for one faction once really). From the little I remember, it was quite easy to get quite nice victories on the battlefield against the Tutons as the AI did various silly things in a fairly predictable way (or just happened to fit very nicely with my defensive playing style). For example, their mangonels never really did any damage as it was always possible to kill their crews early in battle.

I say this from the rose-tinted bits of memory I have - it could really be that they kicked my bottom and that I've just forgotten about it.

I'd go with having lots of crossbows though, that's not usually a bad bit of advice. I seem to remember it being quite nice and easy to defend the villages due to having good vantage points for the crossbowmen, with a few units able to concentrate fire into the part just behind the gate without doing (too much) damage to the chaps stopping the invaders coming in further. Again, that might be nonsense.

Oh for the time to play through everything properly without being distracted by all the other shiny things.

edit:
interesting comments on ambushing/harassing as Lithuania - http://rtw.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=21,7684,,all
It does seem as though we could do with some good strategies for Lithuania as there isn't a tonne of good stuff around - at least not in any one place

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 09-05-2011 @ 08:03 AM).]

Brutus93
Legionary
posted 05 September 2011 11:09 EDT (US)     4 / 7       
Nice to play a European pagan faction too, hide in the dark forests and pray to the ancient gods sort of thing...
Well, until you're forced to convert and trust me you will be. As a pagan faction you can't build anything above a city or castle if I recall correctly.
Edorix
High King of Britain
posted 05 September 2011 12:42 EDT (US)     5 / 7       
You do.

Thanks Swampy.

EDORIX
~ ancient briton ~

/\
/|||| ||||\

(dis ma house)
Mors Lator
Legionary
posted 05 September 2011 14:18 EDT (US)     6 / 7       
I attack the nearest relatively undefended Teutonic village with an onslaught of HA's. ALthough it is hard to get good ones early, they pay for themselves

Nulla ut Caseum Pellentesque
Nothing like a bit of cheese - Me

Mors Lator = Zoto888. In case I've ever mentioned that name.

My Gravatar is a response to Punic Hoplite's
Kilij Ae Varyl
Legionary
(id: AugustusCaesar)
posted 05 September 2011 15:39 EDT (US)     7 / 7       
I still find Paganism to be better, and all you need is HAs and you're fine(pagan units help alot too)! My Lithuanian campaign is actually doing well, although for the most part I went north, haven't played that campaign for awhile(I tend to have so many campaigns at once...). Although I find it harder to get skilled pagan priests...

"An emperor is subject to no one, but god and justice" -Barbarrosa
"The best fortress a prince can possess is the affection of his people" -Niccolo Machiavelli

[This message has been edited by AugustusCaesar (edited 09-05-2011 @ 03:41 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames