Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Total War Heaven » Forums » Medieval 2: Kingdoms Discussion » 1.5 Patch
Bottom
Topic Subject:1.5 Patch
jenksr76
Legionary
posted 20 February 2012 19:27 EDT (US)         
Hey guys, can you please help me with this, as I don't do well with PC stuff lol. I downloaded the 1.5 english gold patch, but what do I do after that? zip, archive? It doesn't give an optionn to install. After that I have downloaded the GUAM patch witch requires the 1.5 patch, so I assume it will be the same scenario. Any help would be great, thank you, J76
AuthorReplies:
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 21 February 2012 07:25 EDT (US)     1 / 9       
I believe the file you've downloaded is a ".rar" file, which is a type of compressed file. If you've got Windows7 I think you can just extract that directly, if not then you need to get a piece of software to do it for you.

You can get free trials or completely free programs to do that:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=extract+rar

WinRar is a fairly safe bet.

Once you've installed an extractor and extracted everything, there should be a .exe file to run.

It's a bit of a pain to have to jump through that hoop but hopefully straightforward once you know broadly what you need to do. If you hit any problems or need something more specific then just let us know.

Just to check - you've got the 'English Gold patch', I'm going to guess that's the UK Gold edition but either way, it's quite important that you use the right patch version so before going much further you might want to double check that your patch version matches your game version.

I don't know much about the GUAM, but I imagine it'll either be something you can run directly once downloaded or will need extracting.
jenksr76
Legionary
posted 21 February 2012 09:24 EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Nice, thanks bud. But how do you know which version it is? I still have the original box, and I searched all the readme files and read all the fine print. Anything more complicated than a microwave gives me trouble hah.

I re-installed TW2 Kingdoms Gold, and it says verison 1.03 in the options screen. So the correct patch will show as 1.05 correct? And when I use the Winzip, it gives a whole list of folders-I select all of those? Ehh I'm soo confused...

[This message has been edited by jenksr76 (edited 02-21-2012 @ 12:21 PM).]

SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 21 February 2012 14:45 EDT (US)     3 / 9       
There should be an 'extract all' option, go with that if you can. If you can see a file called 'readme' or something similar then try to open that to get instructions.

Given you've said Kingdoms Gold a couple of times, it seems likely that you've got one of the gold editions, if your game is in English then it's likely to be either the UK Gold edition or the US Gold edition - hopefully you're in either the UK or North America and so it'll be obvious which of those two you're on.

If in doubt, don't worry about it, try the one you've got and see if it works.
Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 21 February 2012 17:23 EDT (US)     4 / 9       
I think Gold is already 1.4, but you can always see it in your options screen.
jenksr76
Legionary
posted 23 February 2012 17:55 EDT (US)     5 / 9       
Ok thank you. The UK edition worked *crosses fingers still*. The GUAM mod gives the Kingdoms units for use during the Campaign, very neat so far it seems. Here it is if you guys want to check it out. Thank you again Swampy, good to see a peep who helps out

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135950
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 24 February 2012 01:40 EDT (US)     6 / 9       
You're welcome, I'm glad it seems to be working
jenksr76
Legionary
posted 24 February 2012 07:16 EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Swamp have you tried any MOds like the guam one here? Any reccomendations?
SwampRat
M2TW Ladder Leader
posted 24 February 2012 07:52 EDT (US)     8 / 9       
The mods I've tried are:

Retrofit (like GUAM - but without the new units - the main benefit is adding the formal hotseat mode and other game mechanics changes that Kingdoms brought to the original campaign)

Stainless Steel(a reworking of the main campaign with an awful lot of extra units, different factions, carefully updated weapons and recruitment etc - I did have some crashing issues with it which is why I abandoned it (combined with a lack of having enough time to have more than one game going)

Third Age:Total War (Lord of the Rings but under your control - also with an on-going hotseat campaign on this forum).

There are lots out there, one a number of people are looking forward to is Europa Barbasomethingsomething 2, bringing the Roman era to M2TW, sort of like R2TW but not.

If you're up for a change and like the book/film/general type of setting then I'd recommend Third Age. If you pick an interesting faction then the main campaign is really quite jolly - although some of the economic/recruitment restrictions are quite harsh. I've crept up to about turn 50 in my campaign on version 3.1 of the mod with the Orcs of the Misty Mountains (which, incidentally, seem to be goblins predominantly (not being as into the lore as some, it could be that goblins are orcs I suppose)) and have just recruited some trolls - looking forward to trying those chaps out on the pesky dwarves.

There's at least one AAR on a dwarf campaign from TATW in the stories sub-forum. Could be worth a read if you're interested.

There's a story based campaign they've introduced too, which I've not tried but sounds very interesting.

[This message has been edited by SwampRat (edited 02-24-2012 @ 08:19 AM).]

Thompsoncs
Legionary
posted 24 February 2012 08:34 EDT (US)     9 / 9       
I personally didn't like stainless steel very much. It's a bit like the europa barbarorum and roma surrectum for rome total war, they add to much. Though that makes it very accurate and detailed, it gets confusing, takes very long to finish turns and is quite cpu-heavy for my laptop.

Third age isn't the lightest either, but is great, though archers are a bit strong in it. Quite nice to fight a battle with rohan vs isengard, outnumbered and my infantry is even outclassed. The isengard unit size caused me to charge with cavalry and withdraw, charge again and finally at some point their massive army broke, almost like helms deep in the movie, except that my cavalry was a bit less decisive.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Total War Heaven | HeavenGames